"You look well...." Hmmnnnn

TIFFERS

I was told by a woman in the co-op the other day "oh Tif your looking well"

Now I've never been good at taking compliments but I would have translated that into looking fat ie well fed.

What does everyone thing - really.

Actually I would take that to mean - "you're looking well"

I wouldn't worry too much ..... you'll be looking even 'weller' when you get to goal and the likes of that lady will be telling you that you're looking gaunt ;)

Also I note you're from Wolves ..... hopefully you'll make it to the next Birmingham meet? ;)

I hate it when people say 'your looking well' as I never know how to take that phrase.

x

I hate it when people say 'your looking well' as I never know how to take that phrase.

x

She knows my Hubby to be's ex wife too - so I never know whether they are being nice or catty.....

I find people say "you're looking well" well they've noticed you've lost weight.

People often don't like to comment on weight issues, so they use that phrase to avoid offending.

Oh...but don't you hate it when you are feeling really ill and people say "you're looking well". I hate that.:D

Next time just say "thanks and your looking quite well yerself." If they look pleased then it must have been a compliment LOL

Next time just say "thanks and your looking quite well yerself." If they look pleased then it must have been a compliment LOL
I wish I had thought of that it's a great reply xx

Oh...but don't you hate it when you are feeling really ill and people say "you're looking well". I hate that.:D

I hate any comment. I hate the feeling of scrutiny.

Society often thinks they have carte blanche to comment on the appearance of fat people i.e. whether they've put on or lost weight. Weight is as personal as commenting upon someones sexuality as far as I'm concerned. :mad:

I think looking well means "pink cheeks, shiny eyes & a big smile"...I would certainly take it as a compliment rather than an insult.

I'd assume it was a well intentioned comment, but then again it does all depend on who is saying it and 'how' they say it!.

Personally I'd take it as a compliment, its more about how something seemingly positive is said that would upset me.

I often feel a 'you look well' comment means 'my you've gotten fat'.... especially when I see people I haven't seen since I put weight back on (lost 6 stone gained most of it...long story:rolleyes:)... and I think people don't know what to say - though guess it's better than saying 'my you've gotten fat'...:eek:

But then if you've lost weight since they last saw you then maybe it is a genuine compliment and they don't want to directly say 'my you've lost weight' in case that offends you???

Oh I don't know....:rolleyes::eek:

Back