Your final straw...

A combination of 3 things for me:

Being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I felt so embarrassed as I knew my weight must have been the main factor, the doctor and nurse were so nice about it which made me feel even worse.

Going into Evans to buy a new bra, got measured by them only to find that they don't too them that big! :eek: I wouldn't have minded so much if it was the cup size, but unfortunately it wasn't.

My granddaughter's other nan is really petite and I don't want to be 'fat nanny'.

I've been trying to lose weight for ages so I'm not sure I've had a final straw as such, but just recently I've noticed how lazy I've become- how everything has become a big effort. Also the physical effects of being fat are starting to hit me. My knees are constantly sore and my lungs feel squished like they did when I was heavily pregnant- except this time it's not baby, it's fat. Feeling those things have made my fat become "real" to me and are helping me stick to the plan.

Mine wasn't a big life changing event. One day I went to a friends house for the first time and she had a huge full length mirror free standing against a wall. As I walked past it I saw this fat person walking past too. That fat person was me! I stood and looked in this enormous mirror and I just couldn't believe who was looking back at me.
I've looked in full length mirrors before, but for some reason this one caught me by surprise, and i realised I didn't like what I saw. It happened that the friend I was visiting had recently lost weight on SW and i asked her about it. That evening i looked up my local group. I have never looked back.

My final straw is I'm just sick to death of eating my feelings and if I don't do something now I will live most of my life miserably which is no way to live! So I've apopted the attitude that nothing tastes as good as being slim feels and it's so true! I remember how good I felt when I was a slim size 12, granted im in my 30s now and I'm not as smooth as I was back then but it does t mean I have to look like this all the time! I want to change and I need too! I know I can once I get my mindless snacking under control :)

My final straw was seeing pictures of myself at a wedding, where I looked hideous. My face was as round as a football. I had another wedding to go to five months later, and decided that I needed to lose as much weight as possible for that, then keep going to a healthy BMI. So far, so good!

Having had 2 strokes, being T2 diabetic, having high blood pressure, high colestrial and other problems, then being told by the doctor that if I didn't do something soon, an early death was a high possibility!
I have never looked back since........
Pete

Slinkyson said:
My final straw is I'm just sick to death of eating my feelings and if I don't do something now I will live most of my life miserably which is no way to live! So I've apopted the attitude that nothing tastes as good as being slim feels and it's so true! I remember how good I felt when I was a slim size 12, granted im in my 30s now and I'm not as smooth as I was back then but it does t mean I have to look like this all the time! I want to change and I need too! I know I can once I get my mindless snacking under control :)

Hiya, you've totally hit the nail on the head for me! I am totally fed up with my mindless snacking but am not sure how to get it under control?

Any thoughts?

Walking past the mirror in clarkes on saturday when shopping for the kids and I looked like I was wearing a tent, I looked old and hideous. Im 29 in a few days, I dont want to look like this in a years time for my 30th. I want to go out fancy dress clubbing the works - but I cant looking like a baby elephant!

THIS time, the final straw was my best friend getting engaged. I knew she would ask me to be bridesmaid (Chief Bridesmaid it turns out :)).
She and I both did SW in the run up to my wedding 5 years ago. she lost 2 stone and I lost 3. She has kept hers off but I gained all mine back and an extra 2 stone for good measure - eek!
I knew she had made the effort to look her very best for my wedding and I owe her the same. 11 months to go and now 4.5 stone to shift (after losing 6lbs this week!)

This is a great motivation - good luck to you! I hope you do it - when is the wedding?

Hiya, you've totally hit the nail on the head for me! I am totally fed up with my mindless snacking but am not sure how to get it under control?

Any thoughts?

The problem with snacks is that they stop you losing weight! I learned this from my science mad friend on this forum - I cant explain it as well as he can but here goes.......

When you eat, your body starts digesting this food after about 30 minutes. Then once it has stopped and this food is gone (about 2 hours later apparently) it gets to work on your body's fat stores. Everytime you eat, you reset the counter and your body starts on the new food and then goes back to the fat stores etc. So by snacking in between meals - even if its carrot sticks or an apple - you are stopping your body burning the fat stores, which is what you really want to get rid of because it starts burning the new food you have eaten. (I hope this makes sense)

Start by ONLY snacking on fruit - and then gradually wean yourself off this as well. Make sure you drink enough water - I have 2 x 750ml bottles on my desk at work and fill them both up wach morning and make myself drink them by the time I leave for the day. If water is too hard then add some no added sugar squash to one of the bottles.

Use your syns to have a pudding straight after dinner (and lunch as well if you want to) - that way you can still have a treat but its part of your main meal and not a snack. I have stopped snacking completely and don't miss it at all.

Oooh v interesting re snacks. Zoe Harcombe makes a really good point in her book too about snacking and how- contrary to a lot of advice about keeping blood sugars "topped up", it can actually overwork the pancreas and muck up insulin production- which can in turn make you store fat rather than burn.
Sigh.
There ain't nothin' about the science of losing weight I don't know, I just can't apply it to myself!

I have loads and loads and loads but the most recent is a picture taken of me on bank holiday weekend with my son - its the first picture of me for years - (1) i cant deny how big I am and (2) there isnt a single picture of me and noah (now 3) together yet there are millions of me and my daughter (12)

i want to be around for my kids and their chidlren and their children's children !!!

Finding out im not able to be sedated for important dental treatment due to weight and being rushed into hospital after being very ill and finding out ive got gallstones and due to have gall bladder out in couple months all in a matter of two weeks is definately my last straw and being told if i dont lose weight now im going to have massive health problems eeek! Sooooo scary! X

eloracenna said:
The fact that i realised recently that i had no proper pictures of myself and my girls (age7,6&4)they are all of them them or them and daddy because i am always the one taking the photos and i refuse to have my photos taken.
I want to buy clothes because i actually like them and not just because they fit!
I went to a theme park recently and spent the whole time worrying if i would fit on the rides!!!

I can relate with you on this one hun x my boys are ten and 3 and i only have a few pics from when my eldest was little or if my body is covered up in picture x id live to wear my own style instead of what the shops think i should wear or becsuse its more comfy x

My last straw was when I had to ask for a size 24 uniform at work :sad0071: it was so humiliating, then I also realised I was 2 stone heavier than I was the last time I went on holiday abroad, and I was embarrassed then. We had just booked a last family holiday for next year (my son will be 16 then, so it may be our last together) and I knew I could not go at this size, so I joined SW.....hope it works! I am in a good frame of mind for it now.

My last straw was when I had to ask for a size 24 uniform at work :sad0071: it was so humiliating, then I also realised I was 2 stone heavier than I was the last time I went on holiday abroad, and I was embarrassed then. We had just booked a last family holiday for next year (my son will be 16 then, so it may be our last together) and I knew I could not go at this size, so I joined SW.....hope it works! I am in a good frame of mind for it now.

Good luck Mrs Groovy....you're def getting your groove back!

My final straw was the work xmas party. I had to get a size 28 dress and I felt uncomfortable and hideous all night. I got really drunk to give myself confidence as I wasn't happy with how I looked.

I didn't start SW until last week of Jan though as I knew I had a holiday away in Jan and knew that if I had a holiday that early on I wouldn't be able to get back to plan. This thread is a great idea, I am struggling at the moment and its good to remember how bad I felt before.

My final straw was the work xmas party. I had to get a size 28 dress and I felt uncomfortable and hideous all night. I got really drunk to give myself confidence as I wasn't happy with how I looked.

I didn't start SW until last week of Jan though as I knew I had a holiday away in Jan and knew that if I had a holiday that early on I wouldn't be able to get back to plan. This thread is a great idea, I am struggling at the moment and its good to remember how bad I felt before.

Shellywelly - you are doing amazing so far. Try to keep you chin up and keep going - it will be worth it in the end, and think haw fab it will be at this years Christmas party when you get to wear a new, smaller, dress!

Back