Your non-negotiable food (or I CAN believe it's not butter)

Edited above post now

Last edited:
I must be weird. I really like low fat spread(flora light is ace), brown rice, wholemeal bread etc, and have no issue with frylight or artificial sweeteners at all.

The one I can agree on is the ultra low fat hellmans, it is hell,man, and also I wholeheartedly disapprove of the laughing cow extra light. It's like flavourless rubber. Have 5 light or 6 ultra light, no question.

As for the issue of refusing to compromise on - cake definitely rates highly on that score. Which is why I have to avoid it like the plague because not only can I not compromise, I can't stop if there's one in the house till it is gone. Galaxy chocolate has the same effect, although last time I had a substantial amount it made me really ill *devastatedface* so I just avoid it now.

Mmmm tricky. I CAN'T substitute real butter - but the thing about real butter is that it HAS to be lashings of it, oozing off a nice big fat piece of toast/bread - so its just not an option for me to syn it, ergo have it at all :(

But I do have "toast" every morning, and I like it, its just a different kind of thing entirely to the toast I used to have. I dont even think of it as that kind of toast and its yummy to snack in its own right. I use a weeny bit of low fat spread to dampen it a bit, then loads of Marmite, and use WW bread so more like a big crisp than "toast" :D

Got to agree on LC Extra Light, WTF is that about?! :eek: :confused: Its AWFUL, and you only get 1 extra triangle. No thanks! :confused:

I just dont do cake/chocolate etc. Its got to be the real deal if I have it so I just dont buy it. I dont miss it at all, Im not much of a chocolate/sweet freak - until I start eating it, so I dont. :rolleyes:

Now, I am going to disagree. Some of the fake recipes are fantastic, syn free KFC, scan bran chocolate cake too, and I don't think it can be argued that it isn't forming good habits for life because it is replacing high cal low benefit ingredients with low fat and healthier versions and that will be of benefit in the long term as well as while losing.

Mm but I think that doesnt take you away from the KFC/pizza/kebab style of eating. I find it more that I've learnt how fab *other* food can be. I just dont NEED - or even WANT - to eat a KFC/pizza/kebab, whether the real thing or a fake version. It just tastes like rubbish, I simply prefer other food now. Whereas sticking to "healthy" fake KFCs can never take you away from desiring a KFC...

Mm but I think that doesnt take you away from the KFC/pizza/kebab style of eating. I find it more that I've learnt how fab *other* food can be. I just dont NEED - or even WANT - to eat a KFC/pizza/kebab, whether the real thing or a fake version. It just tastes like rubbish, I simply prefer other food now. Whereas sticking to "healthy" fake KFCs can never take you away from desiring a KFC...

Well of course, this is all opinion and therefore subjective, but my OH loves KFC, but is perfectly happy with the fake version. And if I dont believe that denial is key to long term success, then finding alternatives that meet that need can be very beneficial.

I dont see why we have to put ourselves off things we previously enjoyed in order to be successful, is all.

Half of what SW suggest in terms of recipes are things that we could probably buy in take-aways, restaurants, but adapted to be healthier, thus reducing the feeling of being denied such items and promoting success.

If we deny ourselves the things we previously enjoyed, when faced with those things it becomes immediately psychologically harder to resist them, and we will face those things after we hit target and maintain. Its how we manage facing those things that is critical to long term successful maintenance.

for me its Roast chicken with SKIN ON!! There will never be a day where I will remove the skin and put it in the bin! would much rather syn it! its sooo worth it! :D

Mine has to be cheese. Low fat cheese just doesnt do it for me, all rubbery and tasteless (and it doesnt melt well either) - I'd rather have a small amount of normal cheese than any lf cheese at all.
I also have normal wholemeal - no nimble or ww or anything, it just isnt the same!

Ah now it depends, I think. Breadcrumbed chicken isn't that unhealthy but deep frying it is (plus the SW KFC doesn't taste like KFC imo but is a fairly nice breadcrumbed chicken dish), nor is an authentically made pizza truley awful (thin with a little cheese)... but a domino/pizza hut style one is catastrophic!!! so an homemade authentic one would be OK occassionally when at target if you make the dough yourself and don't think you can eat a 18 inch one without repercussions. A mash potato bottom one is frankly, imo, ridiculous! :D And a kebab is only grilled meat and veg on a stick with salad and a pitta, a positively SW friendly dish if you get the right wholemeal pitta and cook it yourself with lean meat.

All a bit tongue in cheek, but you have to be realistic about your future eating style and if these are things that your family enjoys you're best off finding a sustainable way of eating for the future. Looking for the healthiest way of eating these foods.

But I stick by my flour is flour mantra - stop trying to use other things to substitute... plus slimming world always seem to catch on and make them no longer fee foods anyone remember when polenta was free? :D

I thought that about the smash pizza too Nicky but having had a couple of them at tasters, and even dared to make one myself, they are really good - it doesnt taste like mash at all, because you only use a really low amount of water, so it goes into more of a dough and when you bake it, is a more than passable crispy base.

Honest, I'd tell you if it was as ludicrous as it sounds but it really does work.

PS, I am aware I am coming across as a bit militant about "fakeaways" and the like, but thats because I would hate to see people put off trying stuff that is actually really nice in its own right AND healthy. Dont tar every "fake" with the same brush, and certainly dont tar them without trying them first.

That said, I am not a fan of tweaking, so I dont do stuff like make lasagne crisps, or cous-cous in cake, because I dont actually think the difference in calories would be any different than using flour and thus you are really just pretending something is better for you than it is.

The exception to this rule is scan bran cake, I have never made it myself but tasted some really good ones, and frankly, scan bran is so utterly jawbreakingly tasteless hard work, I welcome this option to eat it without losing a tooth :8855:

All a bit tongue in cheek, but you have to be realistic about your future eating style and if these are things that your family enjoys you're best off finding a sustainable way of eating for the future. Looking for the healthiest way of eating these foods.

Well I think that's my point really, it *is* sustainable, for me and the OH for the rest of my life. Im just eating fantastic food that is also healthy. If you dont believe me check out my food diary! I just dont give a toss about pizza, KFC, McD's or whatever any more. In fact I dont think Ill ever have another McD's/KFC in my life. Pizza or fish & chips, yeah sure, but only once or twice a year, special occasions & stuff.

But as MadameleMinx says, each to their own. This is how I am, its not necessarily how anyone else is... :cool:

I thought that about the smash pizza too Nicky but having had a couple of them at tasters, and even dared to make one myself, they are really good - it doesnt taste like mash at all, because you only use a really low amount of water, so it goes into more of a dough and when you bake it, is a more than passable crispy base.

Honest, I'd tell you if it was as ludicrous as it sounds but it really does work.

I gotta disagree with you there, so youre quite right, we are all very different :D Ive tried making it 3 times now, 3 ways and a pizza it aint. Just not worth the bother, Id rather either make something else that actually tastes decent or get a real actual pizza and have a day off-plan.

Im gonna have one more go this week, making it on the cobbler bread, see if thats any good, but Im not holding my hopes up :D

Vive la difference! :D

It has to be real home baking - cake, biscuits, tarts or what ever. I tried all the low syn cakes made with sweetners and eggs and honestly I wouldnt give them to my worst enemy! I would rather save 8 syns and have one of my own home baked fairy cakes or choco chip cookies than eat something extra light that is so processed that it has a list of additives and flavourings a mile long. I do find if I am having my baked treat I will sit down and savour the taste and flavour of my indulgence- this is important to me as I feel fufilled and I wont have another one because I will keep it as a treat for the next day and more importantly I dont feel deprived. For me its about having a healthy relationship with the food.

On the other side I have to say I absolutely love the slimming world chips/wedges made with Fry lite. Thats just me, I guess we all have different tastes.

I think it has to be fake recipes... you know the ones where you use some strange ingredients to try and make it to be something else, like scan bran to make cakes, mushy peas as a base for curry, making a White sauce without flour i.e only using FF fromage frais... It isn't right, quite often tastes completely wrong and not sure it's forming good habits for life. I think I'd easily end up reverting to 'normal' food when at target - I'd rather find recipes which are naturally low syn/use Hex's and get used to having them!

Also proper gravy all the way!
Agree with you on the white Sauce v's Fromage frais. It's just wrong!

ermintrude said:
If you dont believe me check out my food diary! :cool:

:) The 'your' wasn't actually directed at you but more of a generalised statement that people could have homecooked style of what you refer to as junkfood if that is what they know they will continue to do. But as you say they can reject it all together ( or near enough) :D like you say what works for you. I know though that I can cook a from scratch medium pizza for 20 syns (and hex for cheese) which I don't think is too bad when at target. Simply knowing it will make sure that I am careful the rest of the day eating free food meal for lunch, say.

I'm a very keen cook and gained all of my weight (albeit with a touch if baby weight) by indiscriminate use of flour, cream, butter, oil etc. I HAVE to learn normal recipes that work for sw and are not just a weird collaboration of food that just happens to be free. I know I won't continue cooking them once I've lost my weight. I don't think we're that dissimilar! :D

Sweetener, would rather Syn sugar than add sweetener. And cakes, have to avoid otherwise my Syn count goes out of the window!

Ok at the risk of being flamed, I (personally) don't feel it is ever right, healthy for mind or body to eat a whole cake whether it be made with Flour or couscous or Scan bran! (Though I have eaten a whole Manor house fruit cake in one evening, at the height of my gluttony). I would far rather learn to enjoy a small slice of cake than to be in the habit of eating a whole cake over a day or two. Because I know that one day I'll end up buying the normal cake when I cannot be bothered to cook one.

However fakeaways are different. Oven baked chicken with flavouring that tastes like KFC is not making me overeat, and is simply swapping out a high fat product for a low fat one.
Syn free Chow Mein is again swapping out one food for a lower fat version.
I have made the Smash Pizza and it's not a pizza but it's nice enough for what it is.
Mushy Pea curry is simply using tinned peas as a thickening agent and base.

Back