Your non-negotiable food (or I CAN believe it's not butter)

Ok at the risk of being flamed, I (personally) don't feel it is ever right, healthy for mind or body to eat a whole cake whether it be made with Flour or couscous or Scan bran! (Though I have eaten a whole Manor house fruit cake in one evening, at the height of my gluttony). I would far rather learn to enjoy a small slice of cake than to be in the habit of eating a whole cake over a day or two. Because I know that one day I'll end up buying the normal cake when I cannot be bothered to cook one.

I can't get my head round the whole chickpea cake, couscous cake, scan bran cake, weetabix cake malarky.
And you are quite right, the whole "but you can eat the whole cake for a B choice and 2 syns" bit just doesn't wash with me!!

I can deal with Flora Light, sweetners and Fry Light! But agree with some of the others its the scanbran/quark cheesecakes and fake KFC I cant abide, it tastes horrid to me. I would rather have the real deal once in a while and enjoy it!! xxx

Ali* said:
Wine! None of that low cal WW carp for me!! :party0036:

In moderation of course ;)

Ali! Everywhere there's wine there's you!! You'll be making a forum-wide name for yourself ;) but I agree.. Low cal wine? Who ever invented that?!

I have tried the scan bran chocolate cake. It was chocolate-y, but for me there was a definite taste of something that shouldn't have been there - ie the scan bran! I won't make it again, although I may try a weetabix cake, or one of the fat free choc sponges. My mum used to make fat free sponges, so perhaps that will taste a bit more 'normal' for me! I like the half syn roulade, so will make different versions of that now and again.

I like the fact that some of these things give me the option to have a low syn version if I want to save the syns for something else, but also that on SW I can choose to have the real thing now and again too.

Basically I'll try them out, but if I don't really enjoy it I won't make it again, however low in syns it may be. I tend to find that I get on better with what I think of as the 'natural' low fat foods, rather than a manufactured low fat alternative that has been bulked out with extra sugar and sweeteners and chemicals I can't pronounce! Having said that I am partial to a Coconut Mullerlight now and again! :rolleyes:

Good job we're not all the same!

Bumping this! Thought it was a really interesting read though a few of my previous opinions have changed :D

I'd forgotten about this thread! Interesting because I have changed some of my opinions too. In my first post I said I could cope with LF yogurts, fromage frais, cream cheese and cheese triangles. I don't eat any of them now - I have proper greek yogurt, real cream cheese, full fat triangles etc. I think the only LF products I use now are mayo and salad cream, and fry-light if I need to, although I prefer to use olive oil most of the time. I can fit the full fat products, in moderation, into WW propoints when I want too. Mullerlight yogurts... bleuuuugggghhhh!

Very interesting thread.

Have to say I'm in the same boat as Ermintrude (awesome name!) when it comes to McDonalds, KFC stuff. I used to love KFC, always hated McDs but to be honest I enjoy good wholesome fresh food SO much more and it doesn't have the same side effects. Even if I were to make the SW KFC, I wouldn't think of it as substitute KFC - I'd just consider it a nice chicken dish.

I'm also all for Quark - I just love to use the stuff in cooking. I've always really enjoyed lowfat or fat free natural/greek yoghurt so those don't feel like a substitute to me.

With SW, for me it's not even about 'dieting', it's about changing my whole relationship with food. I challenge myself to try new things a lot, and due to that I've discovered so many healthy, unprocessed options that my old vices (white bread, doughnuts, vast amounts of cheese on pasta, sweets) can frankly go feck themselves lol. There are certain things I don't even want tweaked versions of because for me, mentally it's still a trigger food and I try very hard to avoid those.

I will admit that I adore chocolate, but for me personally, I know that even a little would inevitably lead to a lot, which would then lead to more of everything else I avoid. I find I'm happy enough with an Options hot chocolate or a low fat mousse these days whereas I used to eat maybe 3 or 4 chocolate bars in one go then eat a whole lot of anything else I could get my hands on. I don't ever want to go back to that, so I just don't eat it. I have other sweet treats I enjoy instead that don't pull that trigger on me.

Sugar. If I'm having sugar, I'm having SUGAR, not sweetener. I just think you have to use so much of the stuff that it's ridiculous.
Full fat mayo. It's an essential for me. The lower fat versions all have a tangy after taste.
Oil fried eggs. I just don't like the frylight eggs...too...bland.

Cake, I hate all the low syn cakes... well to be more specific the ones made with sweetener. I'm a massive fan of sweetener don't get me wrong, I have it in my tea, my pancakes, my rice pud ect. and love it, but once you try to bake with it, it just doesn't work. If I want some cake I want some cake not a soggy baked omelette made with sweetener and no flour

Wine and pizza are my two. Low cal wine is vile and pizza just has to be real pizza. I can happily make one at home with less cheese and a more veggie low syn topping but no way am I using Smash as a base!

I will eat low fat spread, I always had that before slimming world, I don't like real butter! Everyone raves about lurpack but I think its disgusting lol I love fat free natural yogurt, onken being my brand of choice. Shape delights and weight watchers yogurts are nicer and cheaper than mullers, although I do love the new greek style mullers.

Frylight, I havnt got an issue for it at all I love using it and if I have fried egg and mushroom on toast or in a buttie, ill use frylight. Don't even have oil in the house anymore. (Didn't know that about the vitamins being absorbed though, like someone mentioned earlier in the thread)

But I do draw the line at fake stuff. Like quiche with a pasta n sauce or rice base, cous cous cakes, smash pizza lol if I want a low syn pizza I just use those warburton thins and have hexa cheese and tomato puree on top.

Oh and do agree with the mcd's, I havnt had one since joining slimming world, not that I had them much before really (I'm more of a pizza/kebab girl) but I don't have any desire for a mcd's. I've never liked kfc lol

Oh love this thread. I can't stand virtually fat free cottage cheese tastes like sour milk would rather syn the low fat one. Longley farm all the way.

Also curry I gave tried a few SW curries and not really enjoyed any of them. A curry is meant to be fattening so only in moderation.
Don't have butter so that doesn't bother me and am finding that I'm getting used to low fat cheese although you can't beat cathedral city on toast, yummy .

Dont have WW / nimble bread it just disintegrates when you toast it!

I'm fine with most things but I won't be eating any type of half syn cake anytime soon! I'd rather have a real homemade one and count the syns..... Same as smash scones!!

I don't understand the low syn cake thing at all - at least I could never get them to work! Tried a couple of recipes and they were bloody horrible and I'm a fairly decent baker (of real cake!) so I don't think it was me. Felt rather daft afterwards for expecting a cake that comprised yogurt, egg and sweetener to taste nice haha!

I don't really have cake much now but if I do I syn it. I like a bit of chocolate most days and syn a treat sized choccie bar. Nothing can give you that chocolate hit like real chocolate. ;)

I can't get on with syn free gravy either - Bisto all the way! It's only a couple of syns for a good serving so not even that high.

I massively prefer real cheese to half fat but can cope with low fat spread as it's what I'm used to, we never used butter at home when I was a kid either so I suppose I don't really know what I'm missing!

More than everything, I guess I don't get the obsession with making everything syn free. Syns are there to be used after all so why not use them to cook something extra lovely?

Ice-Cream, Pizza and Cake. Although having said that, I haven't had any of these since I began SW but if I did decide to have any of these three i would have the real thing and syn it. I'd also probably cut the pizza into slices and only have one slice in any one day.

The amount of people saying butter is interesting. I was brought up on Flora and Flora Light so I don't find them "odd tasting" at all. In fact when I first tried real butter I HATED it with a passion. When I got older and learned to cook I learned to love Butter but can happily take it or leave it. I don't eat Butter or Low fat Spread anymore at all (I've cut out bread so have no need) and now work almost exclusively with Frylight.

I think if I did have a slice of real pizza I would use my HexB choice to add 1 tbsp of garlic flavoured olive oil to the pizza, really love experimenting with flavoured oils on my pizza lol

As for cheese I taste no real difference between full fat Cathedral City and CC Lighter Mature... Kerry Low Low slices are a winner too. I melt them over chicken or syn free chips and it's lush!

jezzi999 said:
I grew up in a house of eternal diet, so only had spread (never butter), brown rice instead of white, frylight or spray oil instead of oil... Lots of stuff like that.

I've never eaten deep fried food as a home meal, never ever had deep fried chips (in fact don't even like chips!), always had veg compulsory with every meal.

So a lot of the "substitutions" that other people dislike are just normal foods to me and my usual way of cooking.

I find it interesting that a lot of people in the uk consider cottage cheese and quark to be "diet" foods or substitutions, as many countries in mainland Europe eat these as a regular food and they are very popular.

I grew up with both parents being type 1 diabetic so I get what you mean about having never had the 'normal' version of foods. Low fat, low sugar was a way of life in my family because it had to be. I never had butter or full fat mayo as a child, never had sugar in my tea or whole milk (apart from when I was very young of course) and the first time I ever had full fat coke was when I left school! :eek:

jezzi999 said:
I'm go glad it's not just me! God your post just made me think of more things the same as yours - no sugar, no full fat coke, no whole milk....

I do feel a bit jealous sometimes, that I never had a lot of the naughty stuff (even as an adult), and that I still ended up in this boat. Like I've been cheated!

I know it's not that simple, I've eaten too big portions of the wrong things... But never sugar, butter, fried stuff etc! Bah.

That's the odd thing, despite all of this I was still a fat child! My main problem was what I ate when my parents weren't looking. I was bullied pretty badly due to my weight and I'd really get stick if other kids saw me eating at school (the fat kid shouldn't eat right?). I wound up being a secret eater and would hide food and then pig myself on it when I thought no one was looking. Then I went to uni, got drunk a lot and ate junk food all the time. Some kind of crazy rebellion I suppose!

So I don't feel too bad, I've had my fair share of takeaways and beer ;) Just no butter! And the habits I learned as a kid make SW easier to follow now. I can't imagine how much more difficult it would be if I actually liked butter or had to stop having sugar in my tea...

Either cakes or wine! Wine should be full caloried and yummy!

I am not too bad with bread or low fat spreads as I have been on a permanent diet for about 8 years haha, so very used to them now!

Jenna88 said:
Wine and quiche...wine should be full of alcohol and quiche should have proper pastry!

I figured out why I don't like SW quiche, it's because I only really like cheese and onion quiche, and although I could make it, it wouldn't be cheesy enough. Second reason is to me quiche needs to have a 'wobble' in the middle which is why it requires pastry to hold it together.

SW quiche is slimy!

Back