Your top 5 tips to a success!

LCCxox

Hi Guys,

thought it would be really great if we could share our top 5 tips for success at slimming world.I am a newbie and really struggling to stay on track so would love to hear them :)

xxxxxx

1. Read the book
  2. Plan
  3. Read the book
  4. Plan
  5. Plan

Sorry to be boring, but to succeed you need to read the book and then plan....every meal especially in the early weeks. Happy Slimming x

1. Read the book - several times!

2. Religiously keep a food diary - it's too easy to forget about things you've eaten if you don't write them down as soon as they pass your lips.

3. Be honest with yourself - don't conveniently "forget" something you have eaten that you feel bad about

4. If you fall off the wagon, draw line under it and climb back on

5. Celebrate every loss, no matter how small, and let go of the STS/gains - what's done is done. But, learn from them and try to avoid making the same mistakes twice

1. Plan. - If you go into town, where are you going to eat? What are you going to order from a Chinese/Indian? What can you take to the cinema with you? How many syns are in your favourite things?

2. Keep a food diary. - It's something to look back on when you've had good/bad weeks. It keeps track of how many Hex's and syns you've had. Make sure that BEFORE you bite it, WRITE it. Your memory is never as good as you think it is!!!!

3. Check, check and double check. EVERYTHING!! - Don't assume the syns in things unless you KNOW and have checked them recently. Check that you are weighing and measuring everything that you should be!!! Check which category the food you are eating falls into - Free or Superfree. Check that '1/3rd superfree' does equate to 1/3rd of your plate!!!

4. NEVER compare yourself to others. NEVER!!! - We are all on the journey to slimville... BUT WE ARE IN CHARGE OF OUR OWN JOURNEY!!! Imagine that we are all going along the same motorway to the same destination but that we are all in our own cars... Some people drive slowly, some zoom past in the fast lane. Some stop often to enjoy the scenery whilst some stop only occasionally for a short break. Some break down and have trouble starting again, whilst some pull off completely. However much it seems like we are on the same journey, we can never drive any other vehicle than our own. We can never give anyone a lift (however cruel that may seem), only encourage them to start their engine.

5. Be forgiving. - Be forgiving of ourselves as sometimes we can self sabotage. Be forgiving of our bodies - we have put them through hell and now are demanding perfection. Be forgiving of the scales - however much we think we deserve to lose, the scales only give us the numbers, it is up to us how we deal with it. Be forgiving of others - just because they don't comment on our losing weight, doesn't mean that they haven't noticed. Some people just feel self conscious commenting on other peoples weight (either up or down!!)

The last thing (technically not a number 6!!) is that I agree with Annya's number 3 - Be Honest for you are only cheating yourself. If you choose to have something 'off-plan' or over your syns, that is your choice. Denying it doesn't magically make the syns/calories/fat disappear!!!!

Can't think of 5 that haven't already been mentioned. But my top tip is never eat ANYTHING standing up. That scrap left by the kids as you scrape the plate into the bin, the crumbs of cheese that stick to the grater etc. etc. It all adds up. And you'll be surprised to find out how often things just go automatically to your mouth.

Hi
These are all great
Thanks
Bron

hi
All of the above plus give yourself achievable targets. Right now I am 145lbs have a target of 140lbs when I reach 140 my next target will be 135lbs. This helps me focus as the targets are never to far away.

Good luck

My top tip is to be patient. A healthy loss is 1 - 2lbs a week and that can seem very slow especially when you have a lot to lose. Impatience at the speed of loss leads to some people giving up altogether. But if you have patience and stick with it you will get to your destination, however long it takes.

Guys these are amazing thank-you. I'm sure its not just me that benefits from these.
can anyone think of anymore?

xxxx

Don't think of this as a diet, this is you becoming a food optimiser.
My friend who has lost 120lbs has never had a day off, she says 'if I were vegetarian, i wouldn't have a steak just because it was Saturday night!' I LOVE that ethos!

Try to vary the foods you are eating, I find it can be easy to fall into a trap of feeling that certain foods etc are 'safe' and not being adventurous which can lead to a delay in losses.

Also I find that unlike most people, if I keep my syns low at around 6ish a day I lose best. However that may be different for you so vary your syns, different healthy extras etc to keep your body guessing!

1: Measure healthy extras. I have a little 250ml bottle for my milk that I pour my milk into each morning. No need for a jug then and I can take it to work. Many people slip up by guessing healthy extras. Weigh cereal the night before if you're always in a rush in mornings (like me!)

2: Even if you stick rigidly to plan (and be honest with yourself if you haven't stuck to plan), you will occasionally get a sts or gain. This is normal and all part of your body adjusting. So don't get discouraged and fall off the wagon. You remember that film Supersize Me, where Morgan Spurlock ate nothing but Mcdonalds for a month? Well he gained something like 22lbs in total over the 30 days. But one week of the plan, he lost 2lbs. He was still eating the rubbish, and getting 5000 calories per day. But his body was doing some adjustments that week. In fact the nutritionist said he'd lost muscle. he still in total had a huge gain at the end. Well, this works in reverse for slimmers too. We need patience.
3: Don't think of syns as evil! Find out what works for you, some people need less to lose, some (like me) lose better when we have all their syns. Use them if you really want a treat, otherwise you won't maintain the plan long term.
4:Cook! Try not to live on ready made packet food. They're a good standby, but I find I lose weight quicker if I generally eat fresh, healthy food. Living off the slimming world version of junk food won't promote health long term. Plus, it's rewarding when you've made your own soup for lunch and all your work colleagues tell you how lush it smells!
5:Try to incorporate the superspeed food regularly into meals. They really do help speed up losses!

These are excellent.
Most of them I have just started doing again this week even though Ive been on slimming world a year now...like weighing my milk/HE's - anything like that.
Its crazy how much 28g is compared to what you'll tell yourself it is when you are grating that cheese!

My tips (in no particular order) would be:-

Write down your reasons for losing weight, keep the list, keep referring to it and ADD to it or cross things off as you change to keep the motivation going - eg its easy to feel motivated when you first start and have the most to lose at that point but when you've lost some weight and start to feel better about yourself you can lose that "urgency" to do it and thats when its easy to let little things creep back in and you end up staying the same for ages or giving up.

Dont feel you have to plan a whole weeks meals - I used to make the mistake of writing a whole week of breakfast lunch dinner and snacks and then my plans would change or I wouldnt feel like what Id "scheduled". Now I only plan a day or two ahead - it means popping into the supermarket for a basket shop slightly more often but Id rather do that than what I was doing before.

Keep checking syns even if you know them - eg SW tell us of major changes such as Quorn sausages, Muller lights etc but there must be thousands of other manufacturers that change products so I would advise double checking every now and then, even if a month ago something was free, it may not be now.

Enjoy what you eat - eg I knew a lady who forced mullerlight yoghurts down because everyone else in the group ate them but she didnt really like them! Find recipes, tins, packets, fruit, veg etc that you like and really take pleasure in your food.

If you exercise, dont assume its burnt off the extra syns if you've had them lol! The amount of times that Ive heard people in group say they were disappointed not to lose weight because they've "been for a long walk" etc but they dont know how many calories the walk burnt off so how can it cancel out that Mars bar? Lol - I have been guilty of this myself in the past so now the exercise that I do is extra to the plan and I dont try to trade one off against the other if you see what I mean :)

Hope these are useful xxx

Loads of good advice on this thread :)

My main 'tip' is if you are an evening snacker (like myself lol), cook instead of eat! Its bordem that makes me want to nibble when the kids go to bed. But now i get up off my butt and cook some yummy SW food for the next day :)

Another thing i have found really helpful is to try something new every week, either a whole new SW recipie, or just a weird and wonderful new vegetable or fruit i have never tasted before! Variety is the spice of life so they say :)

Allow yourself to use your syns as treats! I went through a stage of using them on little things like mayo or butter, and never had enough left for a curly wurly, i am more careful with my meals now so i can have that little something i really really want in the evening.

Weigh/measure your healthy extras...i was sooo shocked when i measured my milk out for the first time and used the lot in 2 cups of coffee!!!

Lastly, live!!! Slimming world is for life, not a crazy fad diet that we cant wait to be off! Sometimes you wont be able to food optimise, sometimes you will need to have a glass of wine, or two! Enjoy every day of healthy eating and watching the weight melt away, but dont beat yourself up if you arn't always perfect :) xx

Shirleen said:
Don't think of this as a diet, this is you becoming a food optimiser.
My friend who has lost 120lbs has never had a day off, she says 'if I were vegetarian, i wouldn't have a steak just because it was Saturday night!' I LOVE that ethos!

That's how I feel :)

1. Read your book and re read & check as often as needed
2. Eat plenty of superfree
3. Think about all the good things weightloss brings like new clothes :) that chocolate bar or doughnut will suddenly become less attractive
4. Remember the reason / reasons why you started
5. Remember it's not a diet but a healthy eating plan that you'll be able to use for the rest if your life . I know for me that I want to I never want to go back to where I've come from

(This is my second attempt at SW but I've lost weight before.)

I think you should reward yourself with every little goal you achieve. A smaller dress, a pair of shoes, a little necklace or something - so every time you see/wear it, you remember how good you felt when you achieved it, so you want to do more!

I'm a poor student however and will probably just reward myself with a new DVD or something with (hopefully) each little goal. :)

There was a GORGEOUS grey leather jacket in River Island today ... If I had the money I'd buy it in a size 12 and work my ass off to get into it!!

Back