120lbs to shed with Alizonne tightening

Hi Ali
ImTwiglette aka Mel. Ive been reading your posts here and on AZ website and just wanted to say hi and well done for your loss so far! Your posts are very inspiring!

I will be joining AZ on the 28th of may when i have my first appointment. Hopefully i willbe able tostart very shortly afterwards. I have 6 st to lose and determined to makee this my last and finel attempts to get all the way to a heatlhy weight ..and get on with my life rather than let weight issues controlling my life.

Very excited! I have been looking a AZ for many years but never allowed myself to book an appointment... I always kept thinking i could do it onmy own and feeling weak having to go through such a programm...now i know through all my failures that i need help, very simple...but it has taken me years...

Anyway, i cannot wait to get started. :).

And i am looking forward to reading your updates and being able to post onAZ too.

Mel

Thank you, Twigglette/M!

I consciously started posting here and on Mumsnet as I couldn't find much info from real people on Alizonne apart from Dawn's blog at Disappearing Dawn I'd have liked more info - so wanted to share.

I've also found it useful to see what other vlcd-ers experience. Of course ours is slightly higher calories than some as we eat the veggies and salad. We seem to loose the same amount, though - and lets us get used to eating lots of good things and managing portion sizes. The some of the S&S guys also eat veg and salad - but no targeted ultrasound fat emptying nor skin shrinking/hoovering for them. And we don't have the problem the Lighterlifers seem to have about getting scared about starting to eat again as we never stopped.

It's wierd that period of waiting for an appointment. Are you also on the waiting list for a cancellation? I started 10 days before Xmas - didnt seem sensible to wait (weight?) until afterwards. We start the excellent Xmas cake I'd made on 1 Dec so I could enjoy that. I did have to tell my husband to take away the remainder as the marzipan icing was calling to me in the first few weeks! Apart from that, I live with all sorts of things around that I manage to ignore.

It's so good you have taken the decision to do Alizonne - the process is great training for our future way of living and eating - and if you are as lucky as me, the skin hoovering will mean your skin will shrink well too. I've lost nearly 6 stone in 5 months - and much of it from my tummy/hips and torso - and am in good shape. My upper arms haven't shrunk back quite so much so I'm having extra hoovering there. I have another 3 1/2 stone to go - I think the ultrasound fat melting will be moved to my thighs in a while. The change in my tummy is astonishing. I have already lost from my legs - my gum boots are now loose around my calves- but a little melting on the thighs will be good!

I think the important thing to know is that the shedding is just the start of the weight loss - and keeping it off is the real work - learning new ways of eating and living and sustaining them. At target, we get a personalised plan in line with our own BMR - and sensible folk return monthly to keep on track. A friend who still has some loose skin also has hoovering when she goes monthly. After a year they'll do another BMR if we want it.

I am so excited for you too. As Zimmy says - believe and achieve. Just do what you are told to do, and you'll get good losses - some weeks slower and others faster. They do you a personalised plan so it reflects you starting BMR and the level of activity you already have. 6 stome seems such a lot when you start - but it goes so fast. There are some great strategies on the Alizonne forum for dealing with parties etc. It's amazing to learn to say no to goodies, to ask for special arrangemnts (because we are worth it!) and not to drink....all of this is possible - and I never thought I would suceed.

Ali

Hello Ali, thanks for your reply.

I am getting quite impatient to get on. I was offered an appointment earlier than the 28th but it was not working because of my work schedule...so the next closest appointment turned out to be for the 28th ....its a bit far but at the same time i have a lot of travel until then so it will come soon! I just want to be able to get on with it :))).
6 stones in 5 months is awsome!!!! If i could manage this i would be over the moon!!!!

What did you find the most difficult.... For me the most difficult is to imagine myself at target weight... I havent been there for well over 20 years and i just cant picture it..cant imagine being able to go clothes shopping and picking up a size 12 that would fit, and being able to shop by taste rather than default ie whatever is big enough... I cant imagine not having that big belly either...lol sounds strange i know but as much as i long to be normal i just cant picture it...

Anyway, im not there yet ...i will deal with it whenthe time comes..

Any advice on the sachets? Anything you would recommend or definitely not have?

Roll onthe 28th!!!!

:))

Mel

Mel

There's lots of advice and social events on travel on old threads on the forum - so you'll be able to read about that after your appointment. Make sure they give you the password.

The next 3 weeks will fly by - and then you'll be on your way. It's lovely to see people who were angsty on mumsnet at the start getting to grips with their programme and now giving others tips and suggestions!

I definitely didn't have a clear vision of myself at target. Indeed, I didn't really think it would be possible. But I decided to act if I believed - and it worked. For me, I've been heavier than my target for 30 years....each day I made the choice to do Alizonne and to act differently, and it worked. AMAZING! I am so pleased about my skin retraction and the ultrasound fat melting.

You are so right! I couldn't understand how people at size 12 or 14 shop - because like you I'd been limited by the sizes to a few shops, some on line shops and 'capsule' collections witha few plus sizes. I had a small taste of what it will be like in ASDA, Matalan and M&CO recently - disregarding styles and colours I don't care for, and trying various things. So much choice> I've always liked colours and wear wram spring colours - so it's lovely. It's such a kick! And yet I'm not buying much - as I'll be out of them so soon.

I do recommend buying a pair of jeans one or two sizes down - two if you have lots of weight to loose. It's amazing trying them on and suddenly finding they fit. ASDA have good bootcuts for £14. l'm going to go personal shopping when I'm at goal - and fully intend to develop a new more fitted style. ln fact I already have - as I hadn't worn jeans for 30 years....I'm loving wearing jeans. I'm wearing a large size ASDA belt with my jeans. They do an extra large so wearing a large is a kick in itself. I'm already on the fourth belt notch. Matalan belts are smaller - I've bought another inexpensive belt with a turquoise buckle to wear athe wedding next week. It'll become my jeans belt when I've shed another stone. I think jeans and belts will be part of my control mechanism - never buying a size up.

It feels so good to have much less belly - I went to water aerobics today and really could pull in my belly as it was more muscle and much much less fat. I had space between my body and the rails on the steps to get in - there was no space last time I went swimming in November - another nice little measure of my progress. I enjoy walking taller and feeling good about it. I didn't know that's how I would feel - and I really like it. I have a clearer view of myself at goal now - in part because I have confidence that I can do it. .

Sachets: get:
- a mixed soup (most of them also work as sauce for veggies for your evening meal) most people hate the tomato soup but some don't mind it - so you shd prob try it - but don't choose it as your first sachet.
- a mixed box of cold drinks. If you get another box, of drinks maybe try orange and grapefruit if you don't like your drinks sweet. Cold drinks are useful if you are not hungry but need to have a shake.
- I'm not sure if they have any other mixed boxes - if they do, it's prob worth getting them.
- if you like coffee with milk, have some vanilla sachets to make a sort of latte and also to go with rhubarb Vanilla is more flexible than cappucinno sachets.
- box of pizza or two - very flexible to mix with veg, making lots of thinsg. I rarely make pizza but still use it a lot.
-potato pie - a good savoury sachet.
- what to have for breakfast? They've reforrnulated the oatmeal so it's now a yellow - probably not worth having. i ahd a lot of ommlettes in my first months for breakfast - there are 3 types and people have very varying tastes. My preferred on is smoked bacon - not very bacony but better plain, to my taste, than the herbs or cheese one. You can buy a box or two then use the swop box to get a few of the other flavours. They don't really taste like ommlettes - but they are warm and savoury. I've had them made for me in B&Bs and hotels. Best slightly undercooked in my view!The current crew of Alizonners is interested in food - so lots of thoughts online when you can access the forum.

if you like chocolate have a hot choc, a plain choc or milk choc. The last two make a desert or a drink. I prefer plain choc as less sweet than hot choc. i don't find the bitter choc very bitter nor very chocolatey.

I like the praline desert - but some find it really sweet. I mix it half and half with plain choc - as a drink mostly and sometimes straight for breakfast or as a pudding at lunchtime.

Sheeps cheese (yellow) makes a good sauce for mushroom or broccolli- maybe try one from the swop box.

Get 7-or 8 boxes - and look through the swop box to get a good mix of flavours - bearing in mind the 'yellow' sachets are only 3 a week. Working out what you like will help - but for most things you have to try them, as real life tastes aren't the same in Alizonne. That way you won't struggle too much - and shd have enough variety to find some tolerable sachets.

The time will come, Mel. The GP will write a plan - based on your history and BMR - and you will know when that time will be!

Ali

Last edited:
So I measured my DH's waist for some new trousers and so went to check what is a healthy waist measurement. According to calorielab, a waist measurement of 40 inches or more is dangerous for men (37 inches or less is best) and women should aim for 35 to 31 inches. See Waist Measurement: How to Measure Your Waist to Rate Your Health for more info.

So I had to measure mine! And my waist is 35 1/4. So I'm making good progress on that. And I am also in the healthy range for the hip/waist ratio. So whilst the scales may be stable, I'm doing good and feeling proud of myself. I didn't have starting measurements from December but I know from measurement I took in Jan 2011 that I have lost 10 inches off my waist and 11 from my hips. Even my calves are down by 3 inches. AMAZING.

Ali

So a slow week - after the whoosh, I ticked up 2lbs on daily weigh ins. I'm not sure why that happened - so it's a good example of why you need to be phlegmatic if you are a daily weigher.

After a few days, I knew things were on the move as my trews were getting looser on the waist than a week ago even though my net loss is just 0.4lbs for the week. I'm happy with that as I know my body has been working so hard for months.Two more pips needed to break through a BMI of 35 - current 35.1. Just over 3 1/2 stone to shed - 49.9lbs to be exact! I had hoped to be onto Phase 2 by the wedding - but am 7.4lbs 4.7kgs away so that's unlikely.

I am doing much less exercise because I'm not dog walking now so I did water aerobics on Tuesday - and am going again today. I can still feel my tummy muscles form Tuesday - pulling in and up. I liked the water aerobics movement a lot - though horribly noisy. The teacher's mike wasn't working for the first 20 mins so she shouted then she was still shouty when she did have the mike and she added very badly amped music. If I can manage the din, I'll go regularly. I bring down the average age! There's one other woman younger than me. Most people are probably 70 years or older. They skimped on building the pool so there are no decent showers. The showers are visible and unisex so you can't really get rid of the chlorine as you have to keep your suit on. At least being 5 3/4 stone lighter, I have more room in the small changing rooms.

I've not done any Bikram yoga as I haven't been in London. I am there next week - but can't afford the classes at the mo. I will go to Zumba again in order to find teachers who suit me. I was put off the last class a few months ago as she went way too fast and had very fast music early in the class so I couldn't follow the steps. I left half way through. I think Zumba teaches it's teachers so fast it doesn't really teach them all the necessary skills to manage a class of different abilities. The teacher didn't connect with individuals in my last class and didn't help me when it was obvious I was struggling. A real contrast with Bikram - where they are really careful about developing the people skills and keeping students safe.

It's a shame as I love the music and loved dancing salsa. I'd enjoyed other classes so I have decided to go again and work out which teachers I like and go to their classes. The only problem is I don't have any work out trousers that fit. I'll go and have a mosey round the charity shops to see if I can find some track suit bottoms. I'll look for a smaller swimming suit too as I only have one left. The last 2 pairs of work out trews will join the other swim suits at Sue Ryder.

Ali

1.4lbs down in a day! I was in a car most of yesterday - so little exercise. The body works its miracles silently. I knew - even though I was a net 200grammes or 0.4lbs down yesterday in the previous 7 days that my body was changing. MY trews were getting looser daily - but the scales had gone up 2lbs in the week and then less than 1/2 lb in the 7 days to Friday down.

The good news is that this moves me from morbid to pure & simple obese - so at 15st6lb, I lost 5st 13.4lb on Alizonne and have 3st 6.5lb to go.

It's sunny so we're off for a walk along teh coast.

Ali

BMI Information:
Start BMI: 48.3
Current BMI: 34.9
Goal BMI: 27

Statistics:
Total Weight Loss: 5st13.4lb
Weight to Lose: 3st6.5lb
% Lost 27.86%

Well done! You've overtaken me now in terms of weight lost. I'm still stuck at 11 11 and one of the problems is that I don't feel too terrible at this weight so the incentive to lose the last stone has melted away somewhat. As soon as I stepped up to around 800 calories I knew that the urgency to lose the remaining weight had gone. An urgency that I felt in every bone of my body prior to that. So maybe I will lose it or maybe I won't, but to be honest it's not the most important thing now. The most important thing is that I feel healthy and 'normal' and I know that no one would even comment on my weight now as I just blend in with everyone else.

Great to have overtaken you in terms of weight lost. That's exciting as you have been a great inspiration to me. I am still chasing you terms of % lost and won't match you in terms of BMI even when I'm at target.

Fascinating to read that you lost the urgency. The mind is an amazing thing. And the mind/body interconnection even more so. It's wonderful that you feel so healthy and normal. Do you think we have a set point?

I never felt different and indeed didn't really feel very fat. It rarely got in the way - although I do wonder what opportunities I didn't get because others were prejudiced. I am now strangely more aware that I am overweight. I almost didn't see it before. I am also conscious that being a normal weight will help me in non exec interviews. I will 'look the part'.

I'll be seeing some people I do coaching training with tomorrow. Some I haven't seen for several months - so am excited to have their feedback. We're pretty direct with each other and supportive so I know they won't hold back in saying lovely things! On Monday, I have various business meetings including a big high level business networking event where I'll see various people who have no idea I have been shedding lots of weight. So I'm looking forward to that! This is another change. I'm not embarrased by the complements now - and say thank you!

We went for a second walk this evening - it was so beautiful. We saw avocets, cuckoos, linnets, wheatears, a short-eared owl hunting, 29 seals hauled up onto the sandbanks and more. It smelt so good and it was beautiful.

Ali

It's a summer morning, and beautiful! DH has just gone off to watch birds in his huge puffa jacket as it's still windy. I've just put some washing on as I need to have clean jeans - and I'd got muddy on the last few walks we had together. We went out yesterday twice - a morning walk along the coast path and then an evening walk over the dunes to the sea. Both beautiful.

Today, I weighed in at 215.2lbs - that's 15st5.2lbs which makes another magical milestone - 6st lost. To be precise, 6 stone 0.2lbs shed aka 84.2lbs. I'm 2 weeks behind the plan as probably I have had less exercise after I lost the Blond. I am astonished to have lost 6 stone so am happy. I've upped my walks again - easier as the weather is better and started water aerobics, too. I think that'll be great for upper arm definition - all that pulling through the water.

I am just 0.8kg (less than 2lbs) away from Phase II - protein meals each evening for shedding the last 20%. This stabilises the weight loss by making the transition off sachets at night - as Alizonners get into a routine of having real portions to:
120g lean meat: leans cuts of beef, pork, ham, chicken or turkey (breasts not legs), veal, sweetbreads, beef, veal or chicken liver, goat, wild boar or venison.
or 140g fish/shellfish: many white fish, squid, lobster, shrimps, mussels, crab, oysters and scallops
or 2 eggs, or one egg plus 200g 0% yog or 100g quark, or 200g quark.

It's an eclectic list as this was developed by a dutch GP. On Phase 3 we get to add breakfast - dropping a sachet and having weetabix or a slice of bread and cold meats and some other options. I love continental breakfasts and dislike weetabix so will be happy with that!

I bought some chicken the other day that was on offer and packaged it up into 140g portions so that's also ready in the freeze. It's crabbing season here in Norfolk - so I will enjoy having crab. No oysters for me but I will also have scallops.

We continue with our salads at lunchtime and 200gs of low carb veggies and some free veggies (aubergine, fennel, celery and more) with a little olive oil, and lots of spices and herbs. So I will be having some fabulous meals.

Hmmmm - I am hoping I will have a great week this week - so will be into Phase 2 soon. I've already ordered a Phase 2 meal for the wedding meal.

OMG - I am getting so matter of fact about these losses. I've just realised that I am soooo close to the 14s. I was last this weight in the 1980s....I think I lost about 2 stone and got into the 14s doing lots of exercises and a serious salad and lentil habit in the mid 80s. As soon as I stopped going to that class I put it back on and more.

So that focuses the mind - the essential importance of managing maintenance. No concept that one is done and 'normal service' resumes. In Alizonne, the shedding is just the first part. We continue loosing weight on Phase 2 &3 (reintroduction of protein for the evening meal and breakfast) and then stabilise through phases 4-8 - reintroducing other food groups.

We'll redo my BMR and blood tests at target and make a personalised plan for 5 meals a day with relevant calories - breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner supported by monthly monitoring. At the one year anniversary, we can do another BMR and final blood tests if we choose to do so. If we are regaining, the therapists and GP will work with us to work out where the problem is.

Goodness - less than 3 1/2 stone to go. I'm size 18 going into 16s. If it's a stone a size then I will be at size 12. I discussed with the doc having a lower goal - under 11 stone. We'll see as I get closer to goal.

Ali

Last edited:
hi Ali,

only just found your diary. I've not strayed away from the LT forum much for fear of the unknown.

You're doing really well, 6 stone gone is amazing.

Well done you and thanks for all the support you've been giving me.

We can do it!!

Thanks Dusty. We are doing soooo well! I love your posts. This is the year of our transformations.

I post here as there's few Alizonners so I had to find a home somewhere for daily ramblings amongst a cohort of vlcd-ers. We have a private AZ forum which was quiet over Xmas - but is now buzzing - but I love being here too. And I also am happy to have this so people reseraching Alizonne can have an insight into what it is like.

Ali

I love reading your updates especially as you are so thankful for everything your body does. And I love that you don't try to understand it, with its random weight losses & peaks & troughs & just accept it, rather than fretting every time you've lost a bit less.

You also REALLY make me want to live by the coast. The networking meetings sound interesting. I'm starting a new business & networking has been recommended, but it sounds petrifying. Especially as, for some reason, the slimmer I am the more critical I am of my own body. It's like once I hit a certain point of overweight I just give up.

Anyway, I'm on the 810 cal step of cd now - 3 products & a meal. I'm enjoying it, I still need to lose 4 stone & I know weight loss will slow down on this step, but we are planning on trying for a baby & it's what the Dr has advised. Just keep plodding along.

Enjoy the sun!

Oh I definitely felt fat pre diet. I felt fat during the diet too but there came a point when I reached the 11s where I didn't feel fat anymore, and that's when my head started telling me that I was done. I have a pair of jeans that I was wearing last time I dieted and as I knew that I felt comfortable when I was wearing them before they were the jeans that I set as my finishing line. When I got into them I would be done. Well I'm wearing them now and they do feel great but I would like to try to get to BMI 25 and I'm sure I'll feel even better with another stone gone but my head is still telling me that I'm done. So I'm almost half heartedly plugging away now as on the one hand I would like the extra stone gone but on the other I'm not bothered. It's a conundrum for sure!

Thank you my Lovelies! I am down again this am - and frustratingly my 18s are baggy on thighs and the waist, and the 16s still a little tight. The linen trews are tightish on the hips and the bootcuts across the tum and waist - giving me a muffin top. How funny is that - 6 stone down and a muffin top for the first time in my life. I suppose my size 24-28 trews were usually elasticated in some way. The bootcuts do have some stretch but it's interesting to see that I will be able to have clothes that really indicate if someone gains weight - unlike my Ann Harvey trews which were elasticated to allow several inches expansion and v baggy on the thighs.

Very satisfying seeing consultants last night whom I used to work with a year ago. They were really lovely about how good I look. One friend said you don't look 10 years younger, you look 20 years younger. People also say how amazing my skin is - I'm glowing!

Off to water aerobics,

Ali

Last edited:
An amazing long weekend in Dartmouth for a very special wedding. My DH gave away the lovely bride, who looked very beautiful and happy. Her girls also looked fabulous, and the groom handsome. It was lovely - very tender and precious.

I wore my size 16 dress, a very light long sleeved open jacket and a lovely brown belt with turquoise buckle that I got from Matalan a few weeks ago with an old pair of LK Bennets and a necklace that is now less of a choker - as my neck mut be slimmer so it comes a little lower. I felt great. I stylishly supped an Alizonne shake whilst others had champagne. Later we sat down for dinner and I had my first protein meal - a starter of grilled veg, followed by poached monkfish and mussels. Delicious. We danced till late then I sat with my DH sat on Bayards Cove looking across the Dart in the wee small hours.

We had stayed at Bayards Cove Inn. A lovely welcome from the couple running it and several good nights sleep there. they even made up one of my savoury sachets to go with a lunchtime salad. I had lovey coffees as DH had a good looking english breakfast. How times have changed - I didn't crave what he had - just accepted it. I was a bit grumpy the night we arrived - realising a weekend, even with Phase 2 meals in the evening, would mean declining lots of good food. then I got back on an even keel and got on with it!

I'm up late as we've been driving across country seeing friends and I'm wide awake. I've been wearing my size 16s all day. I tried them on this am - and they fit comfortably. I don't need a belt with them yet.

I'm back onto 5 sachets a day after a few protein meals whilst I was away - I miscalculated by Phase 2 weight so have c5lbs to shed and then I'll be on Phase 2 for most of the summer. So glad crabs and scallops as well as lean meat and white fish are all on the list.

Some people slow a little, and other speed up with a metabolism burst. I hope for the later, naturally. Roll on the 14s - last seen in 1986, I think.

Ali

Ali it sounds like you had a wonderful weekend and well done you for staying on plan. I've been following your progress and you are such an inspiration. You'll be out of those 16's in no time.

Sounds like you had a great time Ali, and the lure of the regular protein meal after that little taster of things to come should spur you on to lose the next few pounds so that you can move to phase 2. My metabolism is slower than slow these days but as long as I'm still moving in the right direction I can cope with it, and I'm not really that far off goal in the great scheme of things anyway.

Dear BG,

I had a lovely lovely time.

Is there anywhere near you where they do BMR testing? Some gymns and nutritionists do it - so do university sports/physiology departments. One system is called a Medgem (used by Alizonne clinics) - and there are others. They aren't perfect but are good proxies for the really scientific testing. Then you'll get a really good level of calories for steady state weight.

Quite a few female Alizonne clients would put on weight at some mainstream weight loss programmes - maybe because they have yoyo'd and screwed their systems. I@m looking forward to having my new BMR so I will know my calorie 'budget'.

You've done fab, Lose2win. How are you finding the final stretch?

Ali

There may be a cool breeze this morning but the sun is out and it will be warm later. And I am very happy. We had a lovely time away and this am, I into the 14s.

The first time I have been 14 stone something since the early 1990s. Ok - only by 1/2lb - however I know I will continue going down. Just under 3 stone to my Alizonne target, and also 30.06% weight lost. Another good milestone.

Ali

PS that's 90lbs lost....the Century Club and her sister SVELTE beckons!

Last edited:
Back