30 Day Shred Challenge! Who is with me? :)

Woke up late so was unable to do the Shred before work this morning. I have a gym membership which has been sitting un-used for a few weeks and thought this morning I should use it again.... So I am planning to go after work.

If I do a gym work-out AND the shred in one day... is that going to be too much?

Woke up late so was unable to do the Shred before work this morning. I have a gym membership which has been sitting un-used for a few weeks and thought this morning I should use it again.... So I am planning to go after work.

If I do a gym work-out AND the shred in one day... is that going to be too much?

Didn't make it to the gym in the end so did my second day of the Shred. :) My legs are hurting this morning but the rest of me seems fine. I keep wondering if I am doing something wrong. :-/

The most annoying thing about the dvd is the fact that I cant skip parts of it such as the recommendations. I have to put the DVD in and let it run. Grrr!

I'm beginning to feel im the only one doing this? Yesterday was day 3 of the Shred. Trying to work up the motivation to do it again today. My knees are killing. :( Got to get off my fat arse and work through the pain.

Hi there pinkemi, I have been doing the shred for about 3 weeks and my god it still hurts!! I try to do it at least 4 to 5 times a week and have lost 8 lbs and can really see a difference. I was stuck in a rut with my weight and it's really kick started things for me. The first time I did the DVD I couldn't walk for a few days after!!! I moved up to level 2 yesterday. @@@@@ ache a bit today but can feel that it's targeted different muscle groups. Stick with it sweetheart. It's made such a difference to my fitness and vitality, I haven't felt this well for years. And as its only about 20 mins long I find it easier to fit in an a class at a gym.

Hi there. I would like to join in too if I amy. I am on my last day of Level 2 tonight and moving up to Level 3 tomorrow.

TBH the scales haven't shifted very much at all, but I am getting pretty close to target now so my weight losses have been falling dramtically over the past few weeks. However it has made a huge difference to my body shape (I've lsot around 5 inches overall so far) and, most importantly, my fitness levels so I am happy with the results even though they are mostly NSVs!

Higher28 - the calories burned doing the shred can vary enormously between people and also between workouts. I would recommend a HRM which will give you an accurate count. I can burn anything betweek 189 and 220 on Level 2 (which is far more than Level 1 which was arounf 156 - 175) depending on how hard I have pushed, even though I don't think I work harder or easier on any of the workouts, I clearly do! It's good to see that I now do the whole session well above my recommended target rate of 118bpm..... I regularly average out at 125bpm now....... and I peaked at 189bpm which set the alarm off one night :eek:

Hotsue... yey! Someone else is doing it. :D

Managed to do my 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Day in the end... after alot of grumbling. I then spent all Day Sunday shovelling Gravel about as we arere-doing our drive. My muscles are killing this morning! Needless to say I didn’tdo my 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Day of the Shred yesterday. I am thinking about doing my 5[SUP]th[/SUP]Day today but I will have to see how I feel when I get home. :/

Annya of course you can join in. :D It’s all good to havepeople to spur you on with it. 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Day in and I felt I was able todo it a little better than before, so hopefully something is happening! Haha myonly problem is the darn jumping jacks. I live on the first floor and I hate tothink how much I am rattling the building. Also... i’m quite erm... ‘gifted’ inthe chest area and doing the jumping jacks HURT! I have to end up holding thegirls in place even with a sports bra on. L

Hotsue... yey! Someone else is doing it. :D

Managed to do my 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Day in the end... after alot of grumbling. I then spent all Day Sunday shovelling Gravel about as we arere-doing our drive. My muscles are killing this morning! Needless to say I didn’tdo my 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Day of the Shred yesterday. I am thinking about doing my 5[SUP]th[/SUP]Day today but I will have to see how I feel when I get home. :/ A rest day here and there is no shame - better that than you risk an injury which will set you back a lot longer! As you can see from my ticker I have done 18 days of the shred now (I moved up from Level 1 after 8 days) but it has actually taken me 26 days as I have had breaks when the soreness is just too much to bear or when life has got in the way. I am still seeing great results so it must be OK.

There are those who say that JM actually didn't intend for the programme to be done 30 days straight in a row, which I can well believe as it makes no sense not have at least one rest day for recovery a week, but rather 2 days shred/2 days cardio/2 days shred/2 days cadio/one day rest. I am starting Level 3 tonight :eek:
:eek: :eek:and will work this level in that manner with zumba as my cardio days and see how I get on - I'll report back here if it would be helpful?

Annya of course you can join in. :D It’s all good to havepeople to spur you on with it. Thank you :D I will do my best to inspire you! 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Day in and I felt I was able todo it a little better than before, so hopefully something is happening! Haha myonly problem is the darn jumping jacks. I live on the first floor and I hate tothink how much I am rattling the building. Also... i’m quite erm... ‘gifted’ inthe chest area and doing the jumping jacks HURT! I have to end up holding thegirls in place even with a sports bra on. I am also rather "gifted" in the bosom department (I was a 36F but now down to a 36E) and I find wearing 2 bras helps a lot. Keep your regular bra on and put the sport bra over the top.....lots more support = no more black eyes ;) Give it a go and see if it helps. You will be pleased to know there are far less JJs in Level 2 and even fewer in Level 3 (but she has you doing them with weights in L3 which I am NOT looking forward to tonight!)
I'll log on tomorrow and let you know how I got on (I work out of an evening as I work full-time and refuse to get up in the early hours of the morning to exercise!) - that is assuming I can lift my arms to the keyboard :eek:

Good luck to us all - I am overweight, 53 years old and have done little to no strength training exercise for YEARS - so if I can do this anyone can!!

I'll log on tomorrow and let you know how I got on (I work out of an evening as I work full-time and refuse to get up in the early hours of the morning to exercise!) - that is assuming I can lift my arms to the keyboard :eek:

Good luck to us all - I am overweight, 53 years old and have done little to no strength training exercise for YEARS - so if I can do this anyone can!!

I did read that somewhere that they say you should have a rest day.. and I guess I cant really call yesterday a rest day! ha!

Problem is I am already wearing two sports bras and I STILL feel like im gonna bash my eyes out. :-/

Pinkemi said:
I did read that somewhere that they say you should have a rest day.. and I guess I cant really call yesterday a rest day! ha!

Problem is I am already wearing two sports bras and I STILL feel like im gonna bash my eyes out. :-/

I tend to have more worry about my belly jumping about than my chest!!! : 0 Lol
It's a tough DVD but to be fair it does work. I try to do it every other day, but have to be in private!!

ha! I know that feeling about the belly AND being private. I ban my boyfriend from the bedroom when im doing it as I couldn't bear him to see me jiggling around like i do. :D Not for much longer though I hope!

Well I completely day 5 today and I KIIILLLLL. It was like being back at day 1 all over again. Shovelling 10 ton of gravel the day before really doesn't help. meh.

ha! I know that feeling about the belly AND being private. I ban my boyfriend from the bedroom when im doing it as I couldn't bear him to see me jiggling around like i do. :D Not for much longer though I hope!

Well I completely day 5 today and I KIIILLLLL. It was like being back at day 1 all over again. Shovelling 10 ton of gravel the day before really doesn't help. meh.

Well done! Go and have a nice long soak in a hot salty bath................. :)

Level 3..... OMG!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Still, at least I managed everything but all the sit ups (I just couldn't squeeze out the last 3 :eek:), although some of the moves were Anita style........ if I'd tried Natalie's moves I probably would have come through the ceiling!

The REALLY annoying thing is that, even though it much tougher, I didn't burn any more calories thanI do on Level 2 - life is so not fair :(

:( But think how good it is that you are actually AT level 3! You must feel proud that you have managed to stick it out this far. :)

My shoulders killl this morning. *wimper* Not looking forward to my shred after work. I too refuse to get up early in the morning to do it. hehe.

:( But think how good it is that you are actually AT level 3! You must feel proud that you have managed to stick it out this far. :) Thanks - I am! There have been times when I have thought "I just can't do this any more", but the changes in my strength and stamina over the past 3 weeks has kept me going.

My shoulders killl this morning. *wimper* Mine too......*another whimper" Not looking forward to my shred after work. Me neither, but then I will have earned a couple of days away - I never thought the treadmill/Pooch25K/elliptical would ever look soo attractive ;) I too refuse to get up early in the morning to do it. hehe.

I don't do early monring exercise either - it would mean getting up at 6.30 to shred before I start getting ready for work at 7 (I start at 8). There are folks on MFP who get up at 530am or even earlier to work out.... they must be stark staring bonkers :eek:

I have to get exercise over and done with in the morning if possible. I lose all enthusiasm by the end of the day, plus there are too many people in the house in the evening. So I try to do it about 6.30 am : / as I leave for work at 8.30 usually. If I'm on an early I start at 7 so I make that my rest day.
As much as I hate exercise and being out of breathe I really am proud of my achievements now. I have lost almost 4 stone over the past 2 years but only since doing the shred can I actually look at photos of myself and not cringe. I am seeing definition and tone which diet alone just wasn't doing. I've had 4 children and been over weight ALL of my life (10.5 lb when i was born, chubby childhood, chubby teenager, fat adult) so I know that body perfect isn't going to happen, but for the first time ever in my life I feel in control and liking myself! Sorry for the ramble guys! But it's been a life long struggle and as much as I do want to snap that shred DVD in half sometimes it really has helped me. Good luck fellow shreddies!!!

I have to get exercise over and done with in the morning if possible. I lose all enthusiasm by the end of the day, plus there are too many people in the house in the evening. So I try to do it about 6.30 am : / as I leave for work at 8.30 usually. If I'm on an early I start at 7 so I make that my rest day.
As much as I hate exercise and being out of breathe I really am proud of my achievements now. I have lost almost 4 stone over the past 2 years but only since doing the shred can I actually look at photos of myself and not cringe. I am seeing definition and tone which diet alone just wasn't doing. I've had 4 children and been over weight ALL of my life (10.5 lb when i was born, chubby childhood, chubby teenager, fat adult) so I know that body perfect isn't going to happen, but for the first time ever in my life I feel in control and liking myself! Sorry for the ramble guys! But it's been a life long struggle and as much as I do want to snap that shred DVD in half sometimes it really has helped me. Good luck fellow shreddies!!!

Respect Sue :D I personally am not a morning person at all so I exercise late at night. It's only me and my husband at home so I pop upstairs to the guest bedroom and just get on with it while he watches the telly (I think he feels a little guilty he's not doing more himself TBH!). He did say last night that he knew I was doing more plyo moves as he could hear me jumping up and down... I was surprised I didn't come through ceiling myself ;)

I know how you feel - I have struggled with my weight since before puberty and I am 52 now! I too know I am not going to have the body of Venus but I am amazed how much tighter I feel in just 21 days shredding. I reached over the table for something this morning and realised that I could feel my obliques engaging :) - sadly they are still hidden under at least a stone's worth of fat, but I know they are there!

We can all do this - happy shredding ladies :D

Last edited:
Respect Sue :D I personally am not a morning person at all so I exercise late at night. It's only me and my husband at home so I pop upstairs to the guest bedroom and just get on with it while he watches the telly (I think he feels a little guilty he's not doing more himself TBH!). He did say last night that he knew I was doing more plyo moves as he could hear me jumping up and down... I was surprised I didn't come through ceiling myself ;)

I know how you feel - I have struggled with my weight since before puberty and I am 52 now! I too know I am not going to have the body of Venus but I am amazed how much tighter I feel in just 21 days shredding. I reached over the table for something this morning and realised that I could feel my obliques engaging :) - sadly they are still hidden under at least a stone's worth of fat, but I know they are there!

We can all do this - happy shredding ladies :D

Woah! What annya said... respect to you! I could NOT be doing with getting up that early. lol

I just noticed that we have similar weight loss goals... although you are much further along the road then I am. I was wondering last night whilst I was 'jiggling' around in the jumping jacks wether I am doing this all too quickly? :-/ Like... shouldnt I be looseing the weight first and then toning up?

Pinkemi said:
Woah! What annya said... respect to you! I could NOT be doing with getting up that early. lol

I just noticed that we have similar weight loss goals... although you are much further along the road then I am. I was wondering last night whilst I was 'jiggling' around in the jumping jacks wether I am doing this all too quickly? :-/ Like... shouldnt I be looseing the weight first and then toning up?

To be honest despite being a 'big' girl I've never considered myself to be lazy but i was so heavy that i was terribly unfit and afraid of physical exertion. I would fall asleep during the evening. I would need naps on regular basis and tired easily. i really wish I had found this DVD earlier on in my weightless journey as I think I would of reached goal and been maintaining by now! Also I think my saggy bits would be better if I had exercised from the start, so I think you are definitely doing it the right way. It needs to be eat less and move more= weightloss and toned body. Common sense really but so hard to put into practice. But we are doing it. Also I think once you have exercised its less likely, you will want to eat junk as you appreciate how hard you worked for that 20 minutes of shred. X

Completed day 6 today! Woo! :)

Well done!

I had a day off yesterday as we were on the road from 10am until 8pm taking my husband's bike up to Watsonians to have a sidecar fitted to it (not for me - I have my own bike!) and I was shattered by the time we got back :ashamed0005: as I drove both ways, he only rode one way.

Back on it again tonight though - no excuses. Strangely enough, even though it is a seriously tough 28 minutes, I do enjoy it and miss the exercise when I don't get it - does this make me a masochist? ;) :8855:

I feel off the wagon twice this week - not big time but enough to give me a small gain I think. Sadly, when you get close to target it doesn't take much :( I will be doubly good today and weigh in tomorrow morning will tell me. If I do have a small gain I am not going to get too busted up about it as I am doing so well with the tape measure just now that it doesn't seem to matter quite as much as it used to.......

Back