63stone teen cut from house, stranded in bed

Ally89

Gold Member
Saw this on the tv this morning. Daily Star: Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: News :: Giant job to get 63st girl out of house

She was 33 stone when she was 15 and went bootcamp in America and lost half her body weight, she is now 19 and 63 stone, yesterday they had to literally cut the front off the house to get her out after an emergency call to paramedics when she got stranded in her own bed. Took them 8 hours to remove her from the house.

I know theres a lot of...well bigger people on here...but I will never understand how someone manages to get themselves to 63st...and if she lost half her body weight when she was 15/16, that means she's put on 47stone in about 3 years. She abandons every diet she gets put on...but there is abandoning a diet, and just plain taking it to the extreme in my opinion.

I dunno this is a hard one I wonder that but weight just creeps on.. It's only since I've lost weight I realised I used to get out of breath just walking up stairs an I never walked up them normally I couldn't even carry my daughter down the street and ok I'm no where near as 63 stone but I think it does just creep on an then maybe you just wake up one day and you can't move she's a very very silly girl but I also blame her mother for allowing her to eat like that I understand the whole family have health problems so is that not another reason for them to all make changes together... But then she's 19 it's her choice to make changes.. She lost all that weight in like 6 months an then wanted the NHS to pay for her to stay there an get to 12 stone but they wouldn't I cant help but think it wouldn't have made any difference if she had of got to 12 stone she would have piled it all back on.. Silly girl :( I'd feel ashamed if it was me :(

I don't think it would have made any difference what weight she went down too, she'd have put it back on, I understand it just creeps on and people have weight issues, i didn't get to 17 and half stone for no reason...but surely when you walk to your door one day and find you can't fit through it...I know if it was me i'd have been devastated...knowing you are now confined to your house indefinitely, I think that would be the time to think I best get my butt into gear and do something about this.

shes gained 40 stones in about 4 years, thats just mind boggling. Thats not just a bad diet, thats serious issues and massive massive binges. What the hell kind of volume of food must you eat to gain like that. Unfortunately shes the only one who can do anything about it - you cant help someone til they want to be helped, and the way shes gone I fear its too late for her now.

No one can not notice 12 stones a year coming on. This is not weight creeping on this is weight galloping on.

No one should sit in judgement on another person for any reason and let's face it we are all on here because we have issues with weight. The difference is we have recognised it and have enough concern about our health and our appearance ( it is called pride) to do something about it.

This paragraph from one of the papers is very revealing and tells its own story...........................

After shrinking from Size 38 to Size 22 she was able to wear fashionable clothes for the first time. But within 20 months of her dramatic transformation she was back up to 40st 6lbs on a 13,000 calorie-a-day diet. She said: “When I arrived home my mum said she hadn't had time to prepare any healthy food, so we had fish and chips instead.”

Both her mother and her stepfather have health issues but there is no excuse for feeding their daughters junk food addiction. Someone must have been buying her food. Whoever it is has signed the poor girls death warrant.

I feel so sorry for the poor soul.

When she got home she was almost 16. Plenty old enough to prepare her own food. My friends daughter is 15, and frequently turns her nose up at her mums cooking so she knows the rules are if shes not going to eat whats prepared for her shes on her own. And shes quite happy to russle up a meal for herself. But even having fish and chips etc regularly isnt going to put weight on at that rate, as her parents are proof of. Shes clearly been eating a damn sight more than just fish and chips.

Shes now 19, an adult, old enough to take responsibility. Ive read various articles about her over the years and unfortunately she seems to blame everyone for her weight gain, apart from herself :( for as long as thats her mindset shes never going to change

When she got home she was almost 16. Plenty old enough to prepare her own food. My friends daughter is 15, and frequently turns her nose up at her mums cooking so she knows the rules are if shes not going to eat whats prepared for her shes on her own. And shes quite happy to russle up a meal for herself. But even having fish and chips etc regularly isnt going to put weight on at that rate, as her parents are proof of. Shes clearly been eating a damn sight more than just fish and chips.

Shes now 19, an adult, old enough to take responsibility. Ive read various articles about her over the years and unfortunately she seems to blame everyone for her weight gain, apart from herself :( for as long as thats her mindset shes never going to change

You are quite right and she was given a greater opportunity than most ever are.

Actually feel really sad reading that article. Can remember her loosing a lot of weight at the camp in america.

I cant help but think there but for the grace of... *insert higher power of your choice here* go I.

Assuming that it is 3 years that she has put all the "new" weight on, that is 45 stone over the three years. Assuming it takes 3500 calories to put on a pound, over the three years that is an additional 2,205,000 calories on top of what she actually needs. Which sounds like a massive amount...

BUT

If you actually break that down, divide it by 3 for the number of years and 365 for the number of days in that year - what it actually works out to is 2013 kcals a day excess. So realistically, shes been eating twice what she needs to eat, but a multipack of yorkies and a couple of butties extra a day would cover that no bother.

Like I say, there but for the grace of...

I'm not judging her cos as I said, i didn't put on weight for no reason, it's just that i don't understand how someone can let themselves got to the size of an average male polar bear, its evident she needs help but to be helped she needs to help herself which she obviously doesn't want, but I just can't wrap my head around WHY she would want to stay that big.

I used to overeat by well more than 2000cals a day, i put on 3 stone over 4 years, not 12 stone over a year, even if it only works out at overeating by 2000cals, she must be sat on her butt day in day out, literally no exercise, not even a walk outside, you see people on superfat vs superskinny or whatever its called, and they overeat by 10,000 or more calories a day, and still they are only maybe 40 stone (thats the biggest one i've seen on there i think), and even they have finally come to the realisation of "hey, i am actually killing myself by eating this s**t".

Ok rant over.

Maybe she has done nothing but sit and eat for the last three years - and maybe she has some medical reason why she absorbs more calories than most people do. During my spells of depression, I have comfort eaten WAY more than 2000kcal a day excess. I never got as big as her either.

Not trying to defend her, or her family, or her eating habits or anything like that (because, well, I don't know what they are, or what is actually going on behind their closed doors), simply pointing out, that mathematically speaking, its perfectly doable, with not that much of an excess.

ALTHOUGH

That doesnt factor in any extra calories she would need because of her bigger size to simply exist. It's just a simple baseline measurement.

I feel so incredibly sorry for this girl. To put on that kind of weight each year it's not creeping on, it is massive overeating/binges/obsession call it what you will.

The thing that gets me, despite her being what 19 now? She was 16 when this story first ran and she went to fat camp, she was, and in my mind, still is a child. She lives at home, is obviously not capable of looking after herself and so someone has to take responsibility.

I have a daughter with ADHD and sensory processing disorder. Like me she will eat for the sensation of it, rather than through hunger. She was becoming overweight before going on medication to help her adhd which, as a side effect, has supressed her appetite. I just don't understand how in this day and age this girl was allowed to get to this point without some kind of intervention?

I know there are a lot of 'bigger' ppl on here but 64st is just another league.

I won't judge anyone, we all have our problems, but who was looking after this childs best interests?

I also read this earlier, and felt sad. The problem is, when you are that overweight and can't get out of bed (i think i read she couldnt get out of bed), you are stuck in a rut and it takes tremendous will power to overcome that. Personally I think her parents are to blame, she was seriously overweight as a teenager and it suggests her parents did not educate her properly about food... I do not judge, as i am overweight myself, but 63 stones..... someone should have stepped in to help that young girl before she got that overweight. I don't know if people agree but to be that overweight is just the other end of the scale to anorexia type eating disorders... both seriously damages health, difference is people who have eating disorders which result in serious weight loss get help.... i may be wrong but i dont think this is the case with people who eat too much... xx

I cant imagine the stigma of being labelled "Britains Fattest Teen" at the age she was can have possibly helped. Imagine having to live with that label when you are still trying to find out for yourself who you are. The fact that she was begging to stay longer at the fat camp to get to 12 stone is pretty telling, I think. Hypothetically speaking, coz I am not in her head - but vaguely remember being a teenager, I imagine it was something akin to being totally supported to the point where you can start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, but then the support is snatched away, and then you find that the people who are supposed to care most about you are actively and deliberately bricking up the tunnel at the far end so that you won't ever actually get to see it. I think my self-worth would take a bit of a knock to the point of submission at that point too. If even your own mother cannot bring herself to care about you enough to pop down the shops and buy something healthy for tea - then why on earth would you feel like you are worth making the effort for yourself?

I know that legally she now is an "adult" but I do not believe that you magically have a birthday and then know everything there ever is to know about being an adult. You are always learning and developing as you go. It strikes me, that there is some serious attempts to stunt that development going on, and she is clearly not getting the right messages at home if the first thing her mother did was load her up with fish and chips when she got back from fat camp. Yes, theoretically she could and should have said no, but it isnt always that easy, especially if you are dealing with someone dominant like your parent, who up to a point, tells you what to do, where to go, what you will and wont eat etc...

I'm on my phone so can't press like but I agree with minx, thats why I said she's still a 'child' as these problems started at a much younger age when she was the responsibility of her parents.

She wouldnt have got to 18 and thought oh it's ok now I can sort myself out, cos she was bedridden in her parents home.

That poor girl :(

Perhaps her family simply don't understand?

I used to share a house with another family, the mother went for parenting classes weekly, now this isn't food related but she was taught how to wash and sterilise the babies bottles (2nd child), and she came home and told me all about it very proud of it, however the bottles sat in the same fluid all week... I don't think they taught her to change it daily! She also used to buy cheap frozen sausages and burgers and cook them from frozen in the deep fat fryer, the sausages were raw in the middle. Now was it her fault?
I don't believe so, her parents were (to put it rudely of lower intellect too) so it was a chain of people without skills or knowledge passing on bad practices to their children on and on!

Her eldest son died aged 20 from overdosing on buying someone else's prescription drugs. Life is like this for some people, and I wish I'd helped her more, but I was 22 a new Mum and too shy.

Whilst I struggle to understand howe someone gets that overweight, I am with MLM on the 'there but for the grace' comment, especially when its broken down the way you did MLM. Bit frightening.

What I do know, its that the catalyst for me loosing weight was my OH having a medical at work ,and being told his blood pressure was too high. At this point i resolved we were both going to loose some weight and get fitter and healthy. Why? Because i love him and I want us both to be around in our old age. It completely escapes me that this girls parents thought it was even remotely acceptable to feed her fish & chips when she got back from that boot camp. Further, she must have got to the point where she was physically incapable of leaving the house to get her own food, or indeed cook it herself, so her parents become doubly liable for the state she was in - she wouldn't have even been able to go and collect a takeaway from the door., so thye must have been feeding her a whole bunch of very unhealthy food for her to get into that state. Of course she could control what she puts in her mouth, but clearly the girl has some real psychological issues with food, and her parents did nothing to help address this. If anything, they indulged it. I firmly believe that what they have done is child abuse, and I personally hope they get put in jail for treating their own child in such a hideous manner.

The thing is this girl was on tv and in the papers. Did no one keep tabs on things when she went home? Her gp? Social services?

I agree her parents may have known no better themselves. I believe in the good in ppl and would hope they weren't pushing her to an early grave but surely society, someone, should have known this was happening?

Back