8 stone or more to lose!!!!!!

Drinking water is definitely the healthier option. But you can easily go without for the during of a day.
It's not 'easy' nor is it meant to be, but trust me, last year I was fasting and doing all sorts throughout the entire day without a single hitch of a problem.
My energy levels were slightly less in late evening after I had eaten, but that was probably because of the type of foods I was eating when I would end the fast.
It's more mind over matter during the day and I understand why many people have reservations about it.
But I'm talking from experience and I'm also sensible about it.
I had to break a fast last year as I was in absolute agony and had to take pain medication (I found out later than I had gallstones).
I took the following day off too to allow the pain to settle, but was able to fast the rest with no further flare-ups.

I'm going to get some stix from my CDC person and check my ketones along the way too.
Anyhow. Thanks for the concern.

I think I can see both sides.

Going without water all day while following this diet sounds worrying. That isn't meant in any way to disparage your faith pomegranates, it's just whether it's safe to follow Ramadan while on this diet. In your situation I'd mention it to my counsellor. Cambridge have medical advisors and I'm sure they will have come across this before so they might have some advice about how best to do both at the same time. An option might be to go up to a higher step of the diet just for the Ramadan period

On the other hand, if you think about it just as reversing night and day then what you're doing going without water doing the day isn't that much different from, say, me going without water during every night. I suppose it depends whether you're able to get enough fluids on board during the period when you are allowed, and also whether you can spread them out enough rather then drinking 2+ litres in one go :)

At the end of the day you know your body best and I'm sure you'll be wise if you start to feel unwell. You've already said you'll be honest with yourself and all credit to you if you do manage to both follow Ramadan, which is important to you, and maintain the diet at the same time. BUT - honestly don't feel a failure if you can't! You need to stay healthy and if that involves giving the diet up, or doing a different stage, for a short period then so be it.

I've never been a blogger either, mainly because I don't want to share too much of myself and also because I feel what I have to share would be far too boring. But I'm finding this forum really helpful, and it's been really interesting learning something new about Ramadan this morning :)

Take care, Potter x

Hey Potter!

Going without water all day while following this diet sounds worrying. That isn't meant in any way to disparage your faith pomegranates, it's just whether it's safe to follow Ramadan while on this diet. In your situation I'd mention it to my counsellor. Cambridge have medical advisors and I'm sure they will have come across this before so they might have some advice about how best to do both at the same time. An option might be to go up to a higher step of the diet just for the Ramadan period

I'm not offended by your comments at all, don't worry. I'm happy to talk about it. I have already mentioned the worry to my counsellor and we've agreed to see how the first few days go. I think going up the steps won't make any difference really as all that changes is the calorie intake as apposed to the water intake. Coming off the diet would mean the foods I would eat would have moisture in them alongside the water I would additionally drink. However, it's all trial and error. I will be being careful. If I weren't it would mean I would end up breaking my fast, something that I'd be mortified about if it was something that I could have controlled.

On the other hand, if you think about it just as reversing night and day then what you're doing going without water doing the day isn't that much different from, say, me going without water during every night. I suppose it depends whether you're able to get enough fluids on board during the period when you are allowed, and also whether you can spread them out enough rather then drinking 2+ litres in one go :)

It is a bit like that. I'll be careful to spread it out too. I'm actually a Biology teacher, so am very aware of body chemistry and how it works and also about how much water one can and can't take at once. I promise you I have researched this and am being both careful, aware and honest about it :) My counsellor and my GP will be on board! :)

At the end of the day you know your body best and I'm sure you'll be wise if you start to feel unwell. You've already said you'll be honest with yourself and all credit to you if you do manage to both follow Ramadan, which is important to you, and maintain the diet at the same time. BUT - honestly don't feel a failure if you can't! You need to stay healthy and if that involves giving the diet up, or doing a different stage, for a short period then so be it.

I think, as silly as it sounds, that if I stop for Ramadan, because it's so much more important to me, that I wouldn't feel a failure. I just hope that after it ends, I can get back on board. :)

I've never been a blogger either, mainly because I don't want to share too much of myself and also because I feel what I have to share would be far too boring. But I'm finding this forum really helpful, and it's been really interesting learning something new about Ramadan this morning :)

I'm sure you can't be HALF as boring as I am! My life is my work at the moment! Bring on the summer holidays! hahaa!
Look forward to getting to know you as we get through this. PS - Glad I was able to pass on a little info! :)

potter the difference being that in the night you're asleep and not moving around so your water needs are much less.

pomegranates-you sound very sensible.I think the difference between this and other diets is the fact that we're in ketosis on this diet and therefore water needs are different to those on a normal diet.I think in your situation I would still stay on a diet BUT would go right up the steps to a 1500 cal diet so you're having normal food but still hopefully losing some weight,or at least not gaining any while you are on a break.

Thanks!
I'll look at that as an alternative to completely leaving the diet! :)

Hey pomegramates

Interesting and co-incidental that you're a biology teacher. My son has biology gcse next Tuesday and I've been trying all day - without success - to get him to knuckle down to some revision! They should ban football championships that coincide with gcse exams :)

I work in health research and am going to be working on a paper looking at the research evidence on the effectiveness of very low calorie diets. I don't know very much about the physiological effects at the moment (other than my own first hand experience), but am looking forward to learning more about it.

Onwards ladies, wishing you all good losses next week :)

Potter x

Ooooh, what year is he in and what course? AQA/OCR/EdExcel?
I could probably find you some practice papers for him to try if you need!

Research paper sounds interesting! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help :)

potter said:
Hey pomegramates

Interesting and co-incidental that you're a biology teacher. My son has biology gcse next Tuesday and I've been trying all day - without success - to get him to knuckle down to some revision! They should ban football championships that coincide with gcse exams :)

I work in health research and am going to be working on a paper looking at the research evidence on the effectiveness of very low calorie diets. I don't know very much about the physiological effects at the moment (other than my own first hand experience), but am looking forward to learning more about it.

Onwards ladies, wishing you all good losses next week :)

Potter x

Mine does too and I have same problem I tell him he is gonna be banned off Xbox unless he does some

If there's anything I can do to help, I've finally made enough posts to receive and send messages - so just drop me an email and I'll get onto it :)

Hi ladies. Made me smile when I seen this group. I have a lot to lose. I started nealy 22 stone and am now 20 stone just in 19 days with lipotrim. Really impressed with how easy it is and easy to stick to. Don't get me wrong I could kill a Chinese. I have tried so many different diets but I think this is the one for me. Good luck to all of you ! So glad you put this thread together.

melissa02920 said:
Hi ladies. Made me smile when I seen this group. I have a lot to lose. I started nealy 22 stone and am now 20 stone just in 19 days with lipotrim. Really impressed with how easy it is and easy to stick to. Don't get me wrong I could kill a Chinese. I have tried so many different diets but I think this is the one for me. Good luck to all of you ! So glad you put this thread together.

Wow! Thats phenomenal x

Woah two stones in under three weeks Melissa! That's amazing! Well done you!

melissa02920 said:

Excellent loss well done cx

Pomegranates - thank you so much for your kind offer of biology-related help! I don't yet have enough posts to be able to pm, but I hope you won't mind if I contact you direct as soon as my post count is high enough. My son's doing OCR biology, Biology B Unit 2. I have no idea what that means, back in my day we still did O levels and I dropped biology because I heard a rumour it would involve cutting up a frog. Would also be good to bounce some ideas around about the vlcd research paper too.

harassed_mother - it sounds like your user name is appropriate at the moment :) Teenagers, gotta love 'em!

melissa02920 - wow what a fantastic loss! Welcome to the group. It's going to be great to keep in touch with how we all get on, and support each other - through good times and bad :)

Hey Potter.
You'll want to get some revision in asap. I'll just post here.
This is the OCR website. When you say Biology B, I'm assuming he is studying the OCR Gateway series?
Sadly, I am not familiar with this specification, however I checked the website and have found some past papers for you:

OCR > Qualifications > By type > GCSE (from 2006) Science > Gateway Science Suite > Gateway Science Suite - Biology B > All documents

That's the main page. As you scroll down, there are past papers from 2007-2011
If you select them, the page will scroll down further. Check that you're selecting Unit 2 and not any other and then you have the options of taking the Higher or Foundation paper (depending on what he's doing).
If you continue scrolling further down, you should also have access to the markschemes!
When you click on the paper itself, it should open up as a pdf that you can then print out (2 to a page is still clear).

Hope that helps - anything else, just drop me an email :)

Apologies - the mark-schemes appear before the exam papers...

Oh my goodness pomegranates that is really kind of you! As soon as I my post count is high enough I'll pm with a more personal thanks.
We're on the OCR site now, my son has seen a couple of the most recent papers but not the older ones or the marking schemes so this is going to be very useful! He's a bright lad and predicted to get A/A* in all his gcse's but I'm frightened to death he won't do himself justice through sheer laziness :(

More on topic - how's everyone getting on this weekend? I seem to find weekends easier than weekdays, I think mainly because my job is a solitary one, mostly computer-based, and I'd got into the habit of comfort eating to get me through difficult tasks. My brain associates food and work, which I'm having to unlearn. Weekends aren't exactly a doddle, especially on the (rare!) occasions when I have social events, but easier than weekdays. I've got a holiday in 5 weeks and want another stone off before then more than I want food at the moment :)

Potter x

Well, I've had a week off, it being half term. I'm thankful that it was the beginning of the diet as I'm so focussed on the diet that the lack of routine, hasn't phased me.
Back at work tomorrow for the final half term at my current school - I literally CANNOT wait for Summer! Am not doing anything special at all, but just really ready to be at another school!
Have been researching furiously about weight loss. There are some ladies on here who've lost huge amounts in short time periods, it's pretty phenomenal!
Think I need to get through to Thursday (2 week mark) and then begin building up an exercise regimen.
Time to get serious.

I feel for you about being on your own in front of the computer. That's what I'm like when I'm planning or doing reports - it's SO easy to reach for food or tea or such.
I was a procrastination MASTER! Food definitely helped. Am really trying hard tough to change my habits.
Slowly but surely! :)

O dead !y partner Paul is making a lamb dinner ! Grrrrrr I want some !! Weigh day tomorrow ! Bring
It on !! Hope your all feeling good today ladies. X

Back