A Catalogue of Indian Recipes (Bhuna, Jalfrezi, Balti, Madras, Korma and many more)

Oh my gosh I can't wait to get started on these!!! Thank you for putting the recipes up. I'm a terrible cook but won't let that stop me :) having a real craving for chicken dhansak these days x

Your most welcome :D, glad your liking the recipes, hope you enjoy making them too :). If you have any questions regarding the recipes, just post them on here and I will do my best to get back to asap. ;)

Kay xx

Contents Page

- Introduction

1) Spicy Indian Vegetable Soup - Syn Free all plans page.1
2) Potato Cauliflower and Pea Curry (Aloo Gobi) page.1
3) Spicy Lamb Kebabs with yogurt Raita page.1
4) Spicy Mushroom Curry page.1
5) Chicken/Vegetable Jalfrezi page.1
6) Kofta Biryani page.1
7) Chicken Curry page.1
8) Korma page.1
9) Lentil and Meat Curry (Chana Dal Gosht) page.1
10) Chicken Tikka (dry bbq preparation on skewers) page.1
11) Chicken Tikka Masala (with sauce) page.1
12) Tandoori Chicken page.1
13) Do Piaza (meat in onion gravy) page.1
14) Mixed Vegetable Curry page.2
15) Fish Masala page.2
16) Raita - Yogurt Dip - 5 different varieties (cumin/garlic/mint/cucumber/courgette) page.2
17) Red Kidney Bean Curry (Rajma) page.2
18) Chickpea Curry (Chana Salan) page.2
19) Lamb Bhuna page.2
20) Bombay Potatoes page.2
21) Chicken Madras page.2
22) Balti page.2
23) Rogan Josh page.2
24) Vindaloo page.2
25) Lamb Chops page.3
26) Spicy Prawns page.3
27) Egg Masala page.3
28) Biryani page.3
29) Spicy Okra (Bhindi) page.4
30) Beef Tikka page.4
31) Spicy Corn Patties (Appetiser) page.4
32) Butter Chicken page.4
33) Keema Rice (Minced Beef with Rice) page.6
34) Spicy Nimbu Rice (Lemon Rice) page.6
35) Onion Bhaji page.9
36) Chicken Saag (Spinach) page.9
37) Exotic Mango Saffron Mousse page.9
38) Saag Aloo (Spinach and Potato Curry) page.10
39) Chicken Chaat (spicy chicken salad/yogurt dish) page.11
40) Chicken Passanda page.11
41) Lamb Buhari page.11
42) Chicken Pathia page.11
43) Mass Biran (Spicy Fried Fish) page.11
44) Lamb Karahi (Lamb in a Wok) page.11
45) Daal Bhaat (Lentils with rice) page.12
46) Makhini Sauce (Butter Sauce) page.12
47) Ceylon Curry page.13
48) Potato Mince Beef and Pea Curry (Aloo Keema Mattar Curry) page.13
49) Ready Made Poppadoms page.13
50) Ready Made Naan Breads page.13
51) Ready Made Chapattis page.13
52) Ready Made Samosas page.14
53) Raita Dip - Syn Free - 5 Different Varieties page.14
54) Ready Made Rice page.14
55) Green Chutney - 3 ways ! page.14
56) Mango Salsa with an Indian Twist ! page.16
57) Green Bell Pepper Masala page.16
HANDY COOKING TIPS page.16
58) Aubergine in Masala (Bengan Ka Bharta) page.19
59) Cabbage Kofta Curry page. 19
60) Turkey Biryani page. 20
Introduction

Hi everyone :). I have had many requests from friends to put up some authentic Indian recipes that I have been cooking for many years for my friends and family. Since joining slimming world I have adapted all of my recipes to a much more healthier way of preparing curries but still packed with all the flavour !

I do not want to overload you with info so I will keep it short and simple so its easy to remember. The following tips should help you in all your preparations:-

Tips

Spices – As you go over the recipes you will notice that there are some key spices which are used regularly in indian cuisine. If you are fond of making Indian food then it’s a good idea to stock up on some of these, from your local Indian Cash and Carry or local Supermarket in the World Food Section.

Oil - Majority of Indian Cooking is prepared in Oil or Ghee (clarified butter). Although some curries can be made syn free, I prefer to use 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in mine from my Healthy Extra b choice, or u can add 6 syns for 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. Also a good alternative to butter is Flora's Lighter than Light spread (1 tbsp = 1.5 syns), which I have used in some of my recipes where the curry requires a richer taste. When curries are cooked Syn Free without oil, in some cases the spices end up with an uncooked raw flavour. A tablespoon of oil makes a huge impact to the taste and quality of the curry. This is especially true for meat preparations.

Tomatoes – The base of most curries is done using onions and tomatoes. Good quality tomatoes will make all the difference to the quality and taste of your curry. Any type of plum tomato is always good for flavour. I always prefer to use fresh ingredients as opposed to canned or tomato juices or passata which is more for Italian cooking and sometimes contains basil which is not used in Indian cooking much. A lot of these have a high level of concentrate and are very acidic and some contain sugar which makes the curry sweeter.

Quantities - Most of my recipes are for serving a whole family, 4-6 people, so the quantities are large. If you are cooking for yourself, the good news is curries keep very well in the freezer, so you can freeze the rest to microwave and eat later in the week :).

1) Spicy Indian Vegetable Soup

Syn Free
View attachment 113180 (click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4

EasyExtra - syn free per serving
Green – syn free per serving
Original –syn free per serving (substitute the chick peas for butternut squash or swede)

Ingredients

Fry Light orPam Spray
Half inch ginger shredded
2 cloves garlic crushed
X 1 red onion chopped finely (can use regular onion)
1 x flat tsp cumin seeds
1 x small green chilli deseeded and finely diced (make sure you remove the seeds)
1 x small cinnamon stick
1 x flat tsp fennel seeds
2 to 3 wholeblack peppercorns
2 to 3 cloves
Prepare 1 litre of vegetable stock
1 x can boiled chick peas drained
X 2 tomatoes chopped into small cubes
X 1 green pepper chopped into small cubes
X 2 celery chopped into small cubes
Fresh Corriander finely chopped to garnish
Salt and Pepper to season
Lemon juice to taste

Method

Spray a large saucepan over a medium heat with Frylight or Pam spray and add the onions garlic ginger, green chilli and cumin seeds. Cook for 3 to 4 mins until slightly softened. Now add the vegetable stock, cinnamon stick, fennel seeds, whole black peppercorns and cloves and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, add the chickpeas, tomatoes, green pepper, celery, cover lid and simmer for 10 minutes. Switch off heat and season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with fresh coriander and a squeeze of lemon juice.

Tips

1)If you prefer your soup less spicy then u can omit the whole peppercorns and cloves and green chilli.

2) Feel free to remove the whole spices with a spoon once they are cooked to avoid them coming in your mouth when eating, they are just there to flavour the broth.

3) Once the broth is made, feel free to add any free vegetables of your choice that you think will go well with this soup. This is a clear soup with wholesome chunky vegetables that are diced into cubes to give you that extra bite and fill you up. Do not over cook them as they are ment to stay crunchy.

4)To bulk this soup up on G day and EE u can add half mug boiled rice. Also free on all days u can add Quorn style chicken pieces that makes it extra yummy !

Enjoy !! :)

This looks good as an alternative for when I'm not sure what plan I choose to be on. Thanks Kay!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MiniMins.com mobile app

This looks good as an alternative for when I'm not sure what plan I choose to be on. Thanks Kay!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Your most welcome hun :D, glad you liking them !

Kay xx

There is a site called Spices of India that sells kewra, fresh curry leaves and other more unusual spices if people don't live in an area with a good ethnic food selection. Really helpful and the website also has recipes.

There is a site called Spices of India that sells kewra, fresh curry leaves and other more unusual spices if people don't live in an area with a good ethnic food selection. Really helpful and the website also has recipes.

Hi thanks for stopping by on my thread :). I am aware there are many companies not just one that sell indian spices and share recipes however this thread is only for Slimming World so all the recipes have been adapted to the plan counting syns, therefore other site recipes would not be taking this into account. Thanks for dropping by anyway. Hope you have a successful weightloss journey ;).

Kay xx

Sorry, I realise the thread is only for Slimming World, I wasn't just trying to promote the website! I was recommending it for buying spices more than anything else, for people in more rural areas who don't have decent ethnic shops. Obviously the website's recipes won't have syns taken into account, but they are a place to get ideas and can be adapted, that's all I meant. I know others here use other sites like the Good Food website or Allrecipes for ideas to then adapt and make SW friendly, I wasn't aware that wasn't allowed...?

Sorry, I realise the thread is only for Slimming World, I wasn't just trying to promote the website! I was recommending it for buying spices more than anything else, for people in more rural areas who don't have decent ethnic shops. Obviously the website's recipes won't have syns taken into account, but they are a place to get ideas and can be adapted, that's all I meant. I know others here use other sites like the Good Food website or Allrecipes for ideas to then adapt and make SW friendly, I wasn't aware that wasn't allowed...?

Nope think you've misunderstood, if you read my post again I only mentioned about `other websites having non sw recipes ' and yes they can be adapted but a lot of people are time short and want someone to do it for them, hence why this thread was created. I did not say anything about your point of sourcing ingredients because you are quite right there, there are many good websites that people have suggested on here and its good to share. I am happy with your input, I just wasn't aware if your doing slimming world because it doesn't say in your stats, probably because your new. Anyway hope I've cleared the air. Hope you have a successful weightloss journey :D.

Kay xx

Sooo looking forward to making some of these tomorrow, got the ingredients in now x

Excited ! :p You've got all the ingredients now, looking forward to seeing some yummy pics ! :D

Kay xx

I'll be making the lentil curry on page 2, was also looking for a dhansak recipe if you have one? I imagine they might both be similar but then am very uneducated about Indian food, gleefully not for much longer ;-) x

Hey KO :), lentil curry is not too high in cals, full of protein and very yummy, goes lovely with basmati rice and raita. I will post up my Dhansak recipe very soon for you. ;)

Kay xx

Chickpea curry made for dinner tomorrow, yum yum :) might throw some King prawns in before serving it x

Wow, your on a roll hun ! Would love to see some piccies :D.

Kay xx

Oops scoffed the first plate for dins!! Lol will take a pic next time if I can stop myself ;-) xx

lol :D, glad it was that good that there was no time for pics . Happy you enjoyed it hun :). I love chickpea curry with naan bread, its delicious. I get the Asda mini naan breads, they're 4.5 syns each and some poppadoms on the side, delish !

Kay xx

Hi Kay just wondering if you had a recipe for chana aloo please ? Can't see it here but correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks

Hi Kay just wondering if you had a recipe for chana aloo please ? Can't see it here but correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks

Hey Jen :), if you follow the recipe for Chickpea Curry No.18 page 2, you can add boiled potatoes cut into cube size pieces at the end to the curry. Hope this helps xx

Brilliant thank you. One for me to try

Back