A Catalogue of Indian Recipes (Bhuna, Jalfrezi, Balti, Madras, Korma and many more)

Hi Kay did u find the dhansak recipe x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Hey hun, sorry I've had a lot on recently, will defo post it tomorrow along with the goan chicken recipe, hope your having a lovely long weekend :p xx

Thanks must try some of these :)

61) Dhansak

Dhansak is a very popular curry dish and is eaten amongst the Parsi community in India. It is a heavy dish made of mutton, lentils and mixed vegetables. It has a long preparation time but is certainly worth the wait ! :D

(65) Dhansak.jpg
(click on pic to enlarge)

Serves 4

Extra Easy – 2 syns per serving

Ingredients

How to make the Dhansak Masala Powder

In a pan spray some frylight then add the following spices :-

6-8 dry red chillies
1 tbsp black peppercorns
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 cinnamon stick
2 dried bay leaves
4 cloves

Fry the spices for 4-5 mins on medium heat. Now turn off heat allow to cool. Now add the spices to a spice grinder (coffee grinder – same thing) and grind into a powder. Your Dhansak Masala powder is ready to use in the curry for later.

Rest of ingredients

Mutton 500g
¼ cup Split Red Gram Lentils – also known as Tuvar Dal (soaked in water )
¼ cup Split Red Lentil – also known as Masoor Dal (soaked in water)
3 tbsp flora lighter than light spread - 4.5 syns
2 medium onions thinly sliced
1 inch piece of ginger finely chopped
6 garlic cloves finely crushed
½ tsp turmeric powder
2 green chillies deseeded and finely chopped
½ tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
100g of pumpkin cubed
3 small aubergine cubed
1 medium potato cubed
1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
¼ bunch of mint leaves finely chopped
2 large tomatoes finely chopped
3 tbsp. tamarind paste – 3 syns
2 tbsp of freshly chopped coriander
2 tbsp of Dhansak Masala Powder (which you made before in the grinder)

Method

Add the flora lighter than light spread to a large saucepan, add onions and sauté until brown. Add ginger and garlic and sauté for another 5 minutes. Now add the mutton pieces and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes. Now add the turmeric powder, green chillies and red chilli powder and sauté for 4 minutes. Now add the soaked lentils, aubergine, potato, pumpkin and mix well. Now add 1 tsp salt, add water to cover veggies and bring to boil. Now add 1 tsp fenugreek leaves, mint leaves and chopped tomatoes. Cover and cook for 40 minutes on low heat. (If you are making Chicken Dhansak, cook for 20 minutes).

Now switch off the heat, remove the mutton pieces into a bowl. Now add the Dhansak Masala powder you made earlier and the 3 tbsp of tamarind sauce to the gravy. Once the mixture has cooled down, get a hand blender and blend the curry in the pan into a thick sauce. Now return the mutton pieces back to the pan. Turn the heat to medium warm up the curry for 5 minutes to allow all the flavours to mix well together, add water depending on what consistency you like your curry and check for salt to taste. Turn off the heat and garnish with fresh coriander. Your Dhansak is now ready.

Serve with brown rice and salad .

Enjoy !! :) xx

Last edited:
This thread is brilliant, I'm new on here and need some inspiration. Thanks :)

Aww thank you hun ;), glad your enjoying the recipes.

Kay xx

Thankyou thankyou thankyou!!! This is my fave thread, I love love indian food

Aww your welcome hun :D, glad you enjoy Indian food and hope you enjoy my SW friendly recipes :p.

Kay xx

Thank you so much for taking the time to put all these beautiful recipes on :) I am looking forward to trying some of these out, particularly your Madras and Vindaloo which sound fabulous.

Thanks again and have a great week xxx

Thank you so much for taking the time to put all these beautiful recipes on :) I am looking forward to trying some of these out, particularly your Madras and Vindaloo which sound fabulous.

Thanks again and have a great week xxx

Aww thanks so much hun :). I'm sure you will love the Madras and Vindaloo, they have proved to be quite popular on this thread . Hope you have a fab week too, looking forward to seeing some yummy pics of your eats :p.

Kay xx

Aww thanks so much hun :). I'm sure you will love the Madras and Vindaloo, they have proved to be quite popular on this thread . Hope you have a fab week too, looking forward to seeing some yummy pics of your eats :p.

Kay xx

Made the Chicken Pathia at the weekend, was absolutely amazing! Better than I can get in some restaurants- thanks so much!! And it was all free!!

Made the Chicken Pathia at the weekend, was absolutely amazing! Better than I can get in some restaurants- thanks so much!! And it was all free!!

Yay ! :D Glad you enjoyed it hun, that's brilliant ! If you try any of my other recipes, would love to see you post pics on here to share ! :p

Kay xx

Wow Kay another amazing thread. I can't wait to have a go at these nom, nom xx

Aww well thank you HN :), I'm glad your liking the recipes. If you have any questions regarding any of them, feel free to pm me anytime ;).

Kay xx

Didnt get a chance to take photo before they all dived in but Lucy grabbed a quick one of the mains on her plate. They ate the starters in the garden and I was in and out while cooking, which was good really as I just nibbled on one poppadum. It took me a lot longer to cook as I was also chatting lol but wasn't hard at all to follow your instructions. So grateful for the way you wrote it out! If I can follow it, anyone could lol. I've already had a look the thread for what to attempt next. The Bombay potatoes were fab and will deffo be making those again. Oh and all the plates were cleared, apart from mine and that was only as I was stuffed full! Still can't believe it was do nice yet so low in syns!

image-3924640049[1].jpg image-1835628640[1].jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Well done Cloudy !:p Your Veg Pilau Rice, Bombay Potatoes and Chicken Madras look amazing ! You should be well proud of yourself ! :D I hope you enjoy making many more of the my recipes on the thread, and look forward to seeing some more pics :). You've done brilliantly hun !

Kay xx

I'm already making my shopping list for next week hehe. We finished off the last bit of the Bombay Potatoes with our BBQ today, I had promised to save some for my other daughter and she loved them too, so have agreed to cook another curry meal for us all next week, for her birthday. Not quite sure which yet but will let you know and this time, get photos before they start eating!
Thanks again for the lovely easy instructions, you are a star!

I quite fancy cooking the Bombay potatoes but recipe calls for curry leaves - sorry to be a bit thick but would these be fresh or dried? I'm not sure what to look out for x

Ah well now I know the answer to that question, whereas last week I hadn't a clue either. They are dried leaves and you can either buy them in the supermarket (in Tesco they were on the top shelf, curry section of the jars of herbs and spices) or order from somewhere like Amazon or a local world food store.
So easy to make and really yummy, well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back