A free-for-all Christmas prep diary, all food and non-food musings welcome!

<butting in here, cos it's the first time I've made chutney...>

We have done FOUR batches of green tomato chutney... it's going like hot cakes! one of spicey beetroot chutney! and one of HOT HOT red tomato chutney last weekend (we had a little translation problem (ahem!) and bought "piment de cayenne" instead of cayenne pepper... and boy is it hot!).

Lots of you are saying you're making this, that or the other. If people can put links, or type up recipes, that might get some of us having a go...!!

Loving this!!

Err I dont really do recipes as such, just a bit o' this and a bit o' that

Well, I've started! I have a well-loaded basket in Amazon (not ordered yet, need to check I haven't forgotten anyone) which takes care of 3/4 of what we need. Husband will sort out MP4 player (as I have no idea what's required) and I'll see about the goldfish at nearest garden centre.

Hampers - I bought massive tins this year for them, makes a change. Will be making marmalade, millionaire's shortbread and flapjacks (possiblty not the latter if it's a disaster, but the kids will eat them if so), walnut brownies, stuffed dates and biscotti. A nice bottle of red for parents and a bottle of malt for husband's sister and her husband and a small box of chocs in each. No alcohol for my friend (will just put in extra cakes!)

Haven't bought cards (from Lidl - no other place stocks them here that I've found apart from horrible and expensive New Year's cards) or paper but I'll do that next week along with the Christmas stocking chocs.

So, just a day's worth of baking and a few odds and sods and I'm sorted!

Now we need to decide what we're eating on 24th (which could be interesting as everyone picks what they want - so it could be tomato soup, chips, prawns, cheese and ice cream. Yum;)).

Cheryl - oooh I don't know... everything sounds fabulous!

I like Robin's hamper idea... I always take bits and pieces of French food for people so putting them in something (which costs more than the items themselves) would be pretty.

Robin - we always stock up for the next year when over for Christmas. You might find some online perhaps?

What's millionnaire's shortbread?

The French don't send Christmas cards, but New Year ones (and they're like "post cards" so don't stand up nicely as ours do and they start arriving when we've got Christmas long behind us and don't want any more clutter!!). We have a WH Smith here for cards, but the mark up is stupendous!

I like your Christmas eve tradition.

Looking forward to hearing about Anja's German traditions...

Last edited:
Mmmm That sounds lovely. Im not finished but list done so just an hour or so on the laptop and sorted!

Our xmas eve traditions...........Cook meat for cold next day, prep anything that needs preping, pub, home, xmas film, poss take away, oliver to bed, all pressies under tree, chocolate, wine, snowballs, bed and wait for the magic!

Cheryl - oooh I don't know... everything sounds fabulous!

I like Robin's hamper idea... I always take bits and pieces of French food for people so putting them in something (which costs more than the items themselves) would be pretty.

Robin - we always stock up for the next year when over for Christmas. You might find some online perhaps?

What's millionnaire's shortbread?

The French don't send Christmas cards, but New Year ones (and they're like "post cards" so don't stand up nicely as I do and they start arriving when we've got Christmas long behind us and don't want any more clutter!!). We have a WH Smith here for cards, but the mark up is stupendous!

I like your Christmas eve tradition.

Looking forward to hearing about Anja's German traditions...

Depending on how sweet a tooth you have, you may not want to know. Shortbread base, caramel middle, chocolate top. Like an upmarket Twix (because it's real butter, chocolate, etc, no artificial nonsense allowed). I don't actually like it (too rich, but I like everything separately) so I make it quite happily without being tempted.

The stuffed dates will be another matter though.:eek:

You eat cold meat on Christmas Day? Is this for tea?

My Christmas Day will be strange as we're invited out for lunch... so no prep as such... but I will certainly expect to dig in and help. But we're responsible for getting my Nana to the venue, and she'll not want to be there hours before, so I'm not sure how we'll work that...

I fully expect to be home for tea, mind... so we'll have to have something in for that. Boxing Day will be PP...

I'm thinking of doing alternates...

Sounds lovely Robin... (what do you stuff your dates with? I see them in markets here stuffed with marzipan (I think), but I hate that so...)

Sounds lovely Robin... (what do you stuff your dates with? I see them in markets here stuffed with marzipan (I think), but I hate that so...)

Yup marzipan. I make my own because the bought stuff is awful (and, unfortunately, I don't hate it) then roll the date/marzipan in caster sugar. Then put them into bags before I can eat them all!

Cold meats for an evening buffet Jo. Ive got us 3, My mum, brother Michael, brother Ashley and his fiancee Sally coming

Ooh dont forget the adult pass the parcel too! Its not naughty just very funny and of course there are layers for oliver too. We put things in like huge granny knickers, moustahes, bunny dressing up (ears and tails) all sorts really but you have to wear them for the game. Its so funny and last year none of us could talk through the tears of laughter

That sounds great Chez! As for an official tea though, I'm surprised anyone can eat a proper buffet after Christmas lunch (mind you some people maybe don't pick all afternoon too...!)

What sort of time do you guys have your lunch?

About 2-3ish. Mark always insists on a started, main and pud. We forget the starter and end up with it the next day or later on and never have room for the pud. I always try to keep dinner normal size too as i dont like to see the food wasted if people cant fit it in so will let people help themselves and just put the serving dishes on the table

You're right. Mum and I used to struggle to serve at 1pm to stick to routine, but 2pm is easier. 3pm strikes me as late, mind...

My b-in-law always insists on starter too, and as it's at his house, I guess it'll be served. Shame cos I think it spoils your appetite for the big main meal!

Agree with you ref help yourself to evening grub...

After dinner my kitchen is closed. Im not cooking anything at all. Its all cold in the evening and self served on paper/plastic plates too!

i want pass the parcel :(
ill be having dinner bout 5 ish so bf has time to visit everyone. ill be in pjs most of the day methinks drinking bubbles :) il be hammered by the time its dinner :D

Ah yes the 24th:

when in the UK we have a nice meal after the kids are in bed - it's DH birthday after all - he gets to choose and I cook. Up to now getting the kids into bed has not been a problem but we may have to re-evaluate after this year ;-)

BUT when in Germany (no idea when we'll be back there for Christmas, last time was 4 years ago and it's not likely to be again soon):

In Germany at my parents house we have a festive cold buffet-style evening meal on the 24th - this is after we have already opened the presents. I can remember my gran used to make some delicious pasta and rice salads, but these days it seems to be gravitating towards more 'luxury' fishy fare such as smoked salmon, trout, eel and similar, and some fish salads. With a selection of breads etc... And cheese, meats too...

On the 24th lunch is a simple affair (usually soup/stew round the kitchen table), then late afternon after coming home from church (though these days the curchgoers are more likely to go to midnight mass), a traditional 'Coffee and Cake' with homebaked cakes and lebkuchen before we're all ushered into the living room to see the decorated tree for the first time and open the presents which will then go on well into the evening.

On the 25th we eat a traditional Christmas goose with Red cabbage and potatoes. A starter maybe (but it varies) and we're always too full for dessert, we'll just have coffee and cakes later ;-)

Also in Germany at my family, there is always a bowl of homemade biscuits, a bowl of chocolates and a bowl of nuts on the table for anyone to help themselves. Yum.... but we don't give each other chocolates as presents, unlike my British relations who always do (though they have caught on and don't give any to our kids who don't even notice)

Enough rambling from me again....

Back