A free-for-all Christmas prep diary, all food and non-food musings welcome!

Yes same at our house - wherever we are. On the 25th the kitchen is 'closed' after dinner (which tends to be around 1 or 2) but everyone is of course free to help themselves should the get hungry... ?!??!

I always have a rule for my family and close friends...i serve the first drinks/food and then they help themselves. Its my xmas too and one year i had about 23 here. I dont actually remember anything except waiting on them all. NEVER again

I might be able to do a little one for you both and send it up. Let me see.
:D :D :D :D

b8gger Laura cant watch it :( will do tonight at home :D thanks!

At my parents, we used to eat at 1.15 (and would be finished in time for the Queen's speech - 3 pm, I believe - then we'd open the presents).

Starter was a small plateful of salmon or prawns or pâté or similar, then turkey and all the bits and pieces, then plum duff (fruit salad for my Auntie who can't digest fat) and about another 4 desserts for those who wanted (my Dad and Grandpa) and which that lasted us through the next few days - no more cooking) and then some washed dishes, some walked the dog. We were always all sat down (just) in time for QEII.

Now, we eat at husband's sister's house. We exchange (husband's family) presents when we get there. She does all the cooking in advance (refuses my offers of help) and we eat, have a good chat and then roll home having overdone things a bit (food-wise, have to drive;)), open (my) family presents and have chicken noodle soup in the evening (or a yogurt).

I always have a rule for my family and close friends...i serve the first drinks/food and then they help themselves. Its my xmas too and one year i had about 23 here. I dont actually remember anything except waiting on them all. NEVER again

whoa!! You must be a saint! I've never had Christmases with more than about 10 ppl including kids, but as it's usually close family we all know to help and muck in, whoever's house we're at. Traditionally, my father in law organises the washing-up for example :)

Our only tradition on Christmas eve is the whole house gets blitzed, cleaned within an inch of its life. The boys tidy their room, vacuum it too, and Emma gets to put decorations in her bedroom.
At night its bath time , and when emma is coming out of the bath, there is a knock at the door and she opens it to find a parcel with new pyjamas in it, and she puts them on, then they have hot chocolate with marshmallows and watch a Christmas movie before bed. We have a picnic tea and a few drinks if any friends call round.

i ended up with both families and some strays they would have been on their own from marks work. I dont like anyone being on their own xmas day

Aww cathy that sounds lovely im jealous :(

Everyone's Christmas traditions and routines sound soooo lovely... despite having work, and not feeling in the slightest bit Christmassy yet, this thread is making me smile.

Christmas, since losing my Mum, has never been quite right for me but I like going home and reproducing what she used to do. This year will be different in that I offered that my Dad escape with his girlfriend for a few days because she's always wanted to go away with just him. Fair enough - I admit that I was a little shocked when he told me he was going though!!

So it'll just be me and the other half at his house for four days from Christmas Eve... we'll go to my sister's local in the evening (5 miles away so I'll be the designated driver)... I'm hoping she'll ask me to make bread sauce as usual, which would suggest a turkey dinner (rather than a beef one, which her husband would prefer, but it'll be overcooked to our taste alas!!)... I do love bread sauce.

I presume the sales start on Boxing Day? (ie Sunday 26th?)

I did see that M&S starts its online sale on Christmas Day. Is that necessary, do you think? humbug!!

Vicky - pjs on Christmas Day? naaah... you put a frock on! Like me!

I did see that M&S starts its online sale on Christmas Day. Is that necessary, do you think? humbug!!
fantastic - ill be shopping wearing my PJS ;)
oh didnt realise your dad wasnt going to be there. xxxxxxx

whats the point in me wearing a frock on my own lol!

The advantage of his not being there of course is having control of the remote, haaaa! (Last year, I couldn't get away from Strictly Come Dancing which was on far too much for those who can't stand it... and much regretted not having cigarettes to escape to a rainy garden to smoke!!!). Lounge diners aren't good!

I wish you were closer Vicky...

Ah me too, ill only be on my own from bout 10 till bout 4 i presume so not that long! (enough time for m and s though ;) ) ill get the same dress as you but 50% cheaper!

Oh no to strictly - that would drive me mad. actually not as bad as last year- i went to my friends and it was all a bit too much children lol :D

The 'out of town' places tend to open on boxing day but a lot of shops dont.

The sales seem to start mid december.

ty my gorgeous friend xxx

thanks laura !!!

well im really pleased to hear of laura's and anju's and jo's ,vick's ,cheryl's (hope ive not forgot anyone )preprations for our lovley festive season !!!

this year im thinking if OH doesnt put the tree up im not lol and we are eating out at the crown and thistle that day so im looking forward and at £40 a head it better be good but im sure it will ,boxing day i havent a clue wot we are doing lol , i bought some cards last year for this year but where they are is anybody's guess !!! oh and ive bought jordan 3 pressies so far ,2 of those purchased tonight at play.com mmmmmmmm ...

we decided at work we are going to ave a eat out lunch maybe chippy or KFC and im making two of my cream cakes ,one is chocolate and the other is strawberry and kiwi(these cakes are not dukan ) and i will post some pics when i make these !!!!

so ladies well done with ur wonderful preps so far !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back