A moan about tasters!

stivesliz

Gold Member
Ok, I dont mean to sound like a narky old witch but I am going to have a moan here! Our group had a taster session this morning and the turnout was very disappointing as was what was brought along by those who stayed.

The dishes that were there were very nice but there was at least 6 or 7 people there that came along and stayed to class knowing it was a taster session and didn't bring anything.

I know we all lead busy lives but I got up at 6am to make mine and it really annoys me that some people are happy to wolf the food down but not give anything back grrrrrr.

Anyway, I'm off for an afternoon nap now as I have been up for 8 hours lol,

I know what you mean, it can be frustrating when it's the same people every time. I don't always have the time to make something as I work 8-4 and my class starts at 5 (I go for 4.30 to help C set up as am part of the social team) and I am already gettin up at 6am to start with.

I do try to make something for tasters, but if I find I really don't have time to make anything I do try and at least take something with me - a new healthy extra choice or a new low syn treat, etc. so that I have at least taken something. It's probably not the most exciting, but I at least feel as though I have contributed.

Agreed! Tasters aren't ever so popular at our group - for some reason people seem afraid of them! A lot of people don't stay and of those who do, I'd say only 2/3rd take something.
I also struggle to fit in making something, so if I don't get time, I always take something "off the shelf" - free marinaded chicken pieces for example!

I love taster sessions though, we get some great cakes brought along!

I get in from work at 5.15 and out for a 5.30 class so dont have time then. And my class is the day before food shopping day so it would mean going out on a Sunday to get stuff then cooking it on a day when I'm often doing other stuff

So I never take anything but I never eat any of it either - would be too scared too anyway especially after reading this thread

jen3 said:
I get in from work at 5.15 and out for a 5.30 class so dont have time then. And my class is the day before food shopping day so it would mean going out on a Sunday to get stuff then cooking it on a day when I'm often doing other stuff

So I never take anything but I never eat any of it either - would be too scared too anyway especially after reading this thread

Some frozen berries in jelly, soup out of the freezer? So many things. It's fair enough if not eating but there are a lot who never bring but happily tuck in!

Taster sessions wouldn't work if we didn't just try to do a little something.

I wasn't having a pop at those that are too busy. My issue is with people that come week in week out, most of which I noticed are retired / not working and I just find it bizarre that they are happy enough to wolf down whatever is on offer without contributing anything, It's the same ones every time that make the effort and as other members have pointed out, even a packet of shop bought flavoured chicken etc is something.

I work til 4 and weigh in 5:30 I always try to take something. A bag of quorn nuggets don't take long in the oven neither do the low syn/free linda mcartney sausages or any low syn meat sausages, chop the sausages up and put in a bowl for people to try they can cook while I'm getting myself changed after work. Also just go to a supermarket after work and get a couple of packets of melon slices. Also could just bring a bottle of diet pop?

To be honest I'd never thought of taking something like those suggestions - always thought it more for cooking stuff. And also - I often forget its actually a taster night till I get there. I'll try to make more effort next time. I could easily make some bhajis the day before if I just made sure I had the stuff in

I'm bad enough at taking something for slimmer of the week basket - I actually went via Spar on Monday to buy a couple of apples to put in!!! Mummy mush brain I blame

The bad thing about taster nights for me is that if you put something on your plate and you don't like it!! What do you do?! Feel really rude putting it in the bin lol I did last time though, I thought I'd try a 'quiche' (I know I don't really like them) with potato bottom. I couldn't eat it, it was a tiny piece but I just couldn't!! Had to bin it.

We have a taster tomorrow night, my cousin who I go with is gonna make a tuna pasta salad, I bought the tuna, extra light mayo and the tin of sweetcorn so I've contributed, but cos she doesn't work and I do I've said she can cook it. I've learnt my lesson though that the nice sweet things always go first so I'm gonna dive straight in with the low syn trifles and stuff :) a girl at my group makes amazing trifles, I know they arnt hard to do but she just makes them so nice and I missed out last time cos I tried some curry first lol

I think most classes must be the same. Im up at 6 every morning for work, I finish at 4 15 -When we had the american theme night I went to the massive effort of making a cake ( all made from fruit, no flour etc) i worked out it cost me about £9 to make (expensive for a taster I know), im not bothered about the cost, but as with others the time/busy/work excuses come, and yes they stay to eat too. Our consultant always texts the day before to remind us were having the taster. Others either brought nothing or brought a pack of fruit. I do understand about the time/busy thing as im a full time working mum, but a bit of forward planning the day before would go a long way. Sorry for the rant - oops

I agree its annoying when people who have plenty of time on their hands turn up with nothing and scoff their way through the entire table. I work till four and have a class at five so understand how hard it is to get something when time is so limited. I like the idea of taking something like diet coke though.

We've got a taster tomorrow so am making crispy smash chicken pieces and bbq dip. I'm lucky that my friend who I go with will cook them in her over before we go so they're fresh.

Tasters are a great way of trying new ideas - but people really should make more of an effort if they can.

we had a taster session at our group the other week and i have never seen so many people there and the stuff on the table didnt mirror the amount of people there not a lot of people bothered and it was a shame, i decided on a spur of the moment to go to class as i wasnt going originally and because i never had time to cook anything i chopped up some hifi bars and put them in a tub with some grapes and it went down a treat as quite a few of them had never tried the rocky road bars before

Phew! I always make something, its not always cooked though, but still needs preparing. On Monday I made a syn free dip with veggies round the side of the bowl for people to help themselves to. It took quite a long time to cut everything up and sort out the dip and to chop the herbs, chilli etc but I did enjoy doing this. I have also made yoghurt jelly,quiche,fruit meringues etc.The dip went down well but I cant tell you what it tasted like as I dont like anything like that. Everyone loved it though! Bit strange making something I dont like I suppose, but thats me, a bit strange ha ha! And also being on the social team I like to help my consultant as she puts in such a lot of work for S W well above and beyond! :)

Haha that was me with the cake I made I dont like any of the fruit I used - but it went down well with others and ppl asking how to make it, so if I can help them with ideas its all good

I'm not saying that you have to make a 3 course meal lol but anyone can bring something. At our group this morning there was my pasta dish, some chicken tikka, meatballs, chilli , a mousse and some couscous cake and that was it. Nothing for vegis - having said that, the only vegi there didnt bring anything! There was I reckon 3 times the amount of people there to dishes and I just thought it was a shame. I am always experimetning with food and love to share what i have made but this morning has put me off to be honest x

Aw I know what you mean Liz but its like everything in life I suppose. There are those who are "doers" and want to get involved, and there are others who are quite happy not to, but like you say are happy to eat everything. Perhaps your thread has got people thinking more about just picking up a syn free/low syn item from the shop like a bottle of diet coke or packet of low syn crisps!

Oh goodness me, I didn't know about tasters yet! Now I'm both a)not really wanting to win slimmer of the week as most of the prizes have gluten in so I can't eat them b)anxious about tasters! Thing is with coeliac people often say something is fine but they don't understand how serious it is and how much gluten is in a normal kitchen, and then they'll think im rude if theyve made a special effort and...and...argh!! I hate coeliac! stupid disease /rantover!!

Back