A moan about tasters!

I find tasters tough. I'm vege so its a nightmare navigating what I can eat. And I'm slightly ocd wondering what peoples kitchens are like. And when I see all the cakes people have made at 5syns each I think o m g there go my daily syns. Such a kill joy lol. I always try to take something nice and low synned but it's a lot of pressure cooking and worrying if people will eat it.
In general my group make a real effort which is nice.

I find tasters tough. I'm vege so its a nightmare navigating what I can eat. And I'm slightly ocd wondering what peoples kitchens are like. And when I see all the cakes people have made at 5syns each I think o m g there go my daily syns. Such a kill joy lol. I always try to take something nice and low synned but it's a lot of pressure cooking and worrying if people will eat it.
In general my group make a real effort which is nice.

Just noticed in your sig there is a club 30 award, they dont do them any more do they? if not they should. sorry to go off topic.

CraigA said:
Just noticed in your sig there is a club 30 award, they dont do them any more do they? if not they should. sorry to go off topic.

No they don't, it's a minimins member created badge. But I agree they should do one.

I have bought things in on 2 taster days this year, but this week i can't afford to buy anything, in fact Im struggling to buy my own food! So does that mean Im not allowed to join in because i haven't contributed? If people in my group felt the way all of you do it would stop me staying out of shame and there fore i wouldn't be getting the most out of slimming world!

Sent from my mobile

Rara Lara said:
I have bought things in on 2 taster days this year, but this week i can't afford to buy anything, in fact Im struggling to buy my own food! So does that mean Im not allowed to join in because i haven't contributed? If people in my group felt the way all of you do it would stop me staying out of shame and there fore i wouldn't be getting the most out of slimming world!

Sent from my mobile

No it doesn't mean that at all. It's all voluntary. There are always circumstances of course but it is annoying when the same people bring food every time and a lot don't. I personally don't think being at work is a reason to not take anything and this is the reason often cited.

Being skint is a reason but I don't think too many people at my group are in that situation.

Sent from my mobile

I COMPLETELY agree with your sentiments here. I'm in a similar situation... I can barely afford the cost of class itself let alone feeding other people. I know it's only tasters and "little things" that aren't meant to cost much but in my world, every last penny is needed.

I try to stay to group as much as I can but the instant I hear we have a taster coming up the next week I don't bother staying because I know if I do I'll have to sit there awkwardly not taking part.

I do get the frustration if it's the same people every week, but this sounds like another reason for folk to have a good old gossip about people ;) If you take food to taster sessions it's because you want to share with other people, not to judge others who haven't. Personally it's the giving that counts and if people don't take part and give too, then that's up to them. Just staying to group is a big step for some people, I doubt members need the extra pressure to conform to individuals idealistic standards :)

Hmm. Not sure it's about judging and gossiping in all honesty. We have people who really cba in my opinion but happily tuck in!

There are people who don't eat due to allergies, not wanting to spoil their evening meal or those who really don't like to eat other people's food!!

Yes it's about sharing but it's the same people bringing every time.

Hmm. Not sure it's about judging and gossiping in all honesty. We have people who really cba in my opinion but happily tuck in!

There are people who don't eat due to allergies, not wanting to spoil their evening meal or those who really don't like to eat other people's food!!

Yes it's about sharing but it's the same people bringing every time.

Thanks Jaylou - the whole point of my thread yesterday was that there was 6 people that brought stuff yesterday ( 3 of which are on the social team! ) and probably about 15 ish people there, all of which tucked in quite happily ( some even had second helpings ) , one moaned there was nothing vegi ( she brought nothing ) and several non working not skint ladies that said 'oh I didnt know what to bring..' All I meant was that it was disheartening for those of us that had made an effort ( all working and 4 of which with young families ) especially when it's the same old ones every time.

I think we've touched a nerve.

No nerves touched here, everyone is entitled to an opinion. If you don't want to go to all the effort to cook for a taster session, don't, plain and simple. Although we all like a moan (gossip ;) ) now and again, you posted so you need to take the positive/negative posts as they were intended, without malice xx

No nerves touched here, everyone is entitled to an opinion. If you don't want to go to all the effort to cook for a taster session, don't, plain and simple. Although we all like a moan (gossip ;) ) now and again, you posted so you need to take the positive/negative posts as they were intended, without malice xx

I dont think any malice here has been given or taken. I certainly wont lose any sleep over this - I was merely expressing an opinion which several members have agreed with and I know that money / work / kids gets in the way sometimes. I will continue cooking for tasters as I enjoy sharing my recipes, I was merely saying that yesterday's was very disappointing in that hardly anyone bothered and it was the same few people that cook every time. Our group has had fantastic taster mornings in the past but if everyone didn't bother it would be a shame.
]I firmly believe that a group is what you make it and some of the people that attend need to realise this and not leave it to the same half a dozen x

I dont think any malice here has been given or taken. I certainly wont lose any sleep over this - I was merely expressing an opinion which several members have agreed with and I know that money / work / kids gets in the way sometimes. I will continue cooking for tasters as I enjoy sharing my recipes, I was merely saying that yesterday's was very disappointing in that hardly anyone bothered and it was the same few people that cook every time. Our group has had fantastic taster mornings in the past but if everyone didn't bother it would be a shame.
]I firmly believe that a group is what you make it and some of the people that attend need to realise this and not leave it to the same half a dozen x

I agree with the group being what you make it and it is always good when everyone participates, but when it comes to weight loss you have such a mixed bag of people. It's not like you are all attending a structured group, for example, a french lesson or a yoga class in which you follow a set of rules/commands until the end. Taster sessions are voluntary. I added the malice part because when you get comments like "I think we've touched a nerve", it belittles the person who was just trying to have an opinion. xx

I agree with the group being what you make it and it is always good when everyone participates, but when it comes to weight loss you have such a mixed bag of people. It's not like you are all attending a structured group, for example, a french lesson or a yoga class in which you follow a set of rules/commands until the end. Taster sessions are voluntary. I added the malice part because when you get comments like "I think we've touched a nerve", it belittles the person who was just trying to have an opinion. xx

I wasn't intending to belittle anyone at all - when I said 'touched a nerve' what i actually meant was that a reaction had been provoked and that those who didn't take anything to tasters had responded and I can totally understand the reasons that have been given. It was not aimed at anyone in particular, it was just a passing comment which meant no malice or upset. This is a support forum, and I like to think that I do offer support. I was also passing an opinion yesterday as I was annoyed due to the poor input by some of the members at my own group.

I am more than happy for other people to try my food and I am always really pleased when they are well received and people ask me for the recipe afterwards. Like I said, I will continue cooking for tasters regardless of whether others do or not - I just found the whole situation quite disheartening.

We had our taster today, it was my first one I have ever been to. I made tabbouleh from the 50 free green book, I had enough left to have some for my lunch. Being veggie there was nothing else there I could have that was free, couscous had olives and I didn't want to use my syns. There were not as many people that stayed this week, I really enjoyed it even though I was nervous about taking something along

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I have my first ever taster group next Monday - any recommendations for dishes that go down well? I know some people are doing the KFC chicken and someone is doing coleslaw.

I was think maybe a Syn-Free Salmon Pate with carrot sticks and maybe the Nutella scanbran bites as I won some scan bran in my SOTW basket and fancied giving it a try!

gettingfit said:
Why didn't you say something to your own group.You must of known when posting it on here it would open a can of worms.:)

Must admit, I never thought it would open a can of worms at all. A lot of people ask about tasters on this forum.

Thing is its been a good thread though as people who go straight from work or don't have time to cook have got ideas.

I have my first ever taster group next Monday - any recommendations for dishes that go down well? I know some people are doing the KFC chicken and someone is doing coleslaw.

I was think maybe a Syn-Free Salmon Pate with carrot sticks and maybe the Nutella scanbran bites as I won some scan bran in my SOTW basket and fancied giving it a try!

Best thing to do with scan bran is use it for sandpaper, works awesome.

Back