A personal account of my SW journey

Excellent weigh-in technique giving blood beforehand! :D Well done with the running too :)
I Know! it's such a cheat but... and I know this is bad... I knew I'd get Slimmer of the Week if I tried it, and I am entirely motivated by stickers!

Thursday's food diary
B: fruits and yogurt
L: Apple, Mandarin, mugshot, porridge HXB Alpen light bar 3 syns,
D: Eating out, Gammon, eggs, mushroom, tomatoes, peas, jacket potato.
Drinks... Cider (13 syns), vodka (3 syns), lager (12 syns), 3 pints of beer (27 syns!)
SYNS: 58!!!!
Body Magic: Almost none, a bit of dancing, a bit of walking

So. Start with the positive? I'm glad I made the right choices with dinner, it was really delicious tbh. Now I need to remember and convince myself that a jacket potato is as good as chips... Also I had a really good time. I should probably have had a vodka instead of cider, and possibly had one or two fewer beers, but hey, that's life.

Today is the first day I've binge eaten in a while. I feel incredibly full, this is something that never used to happen, the full-ness, so I'm embracing it.

Food diary so far:
B: Apple, Plumb, Mandarin, banana
L: Fried Chicken pieces, prawn sandwich, Max crisps, a Yorkie bar, and an iced coffee!
D: TBA
Should I even bother counting the syns? I don't know.... I feel like I can put it behind me though. If I draw a line under my boozy week so far, I think I'll be ok and will just about manage to pick myself up.

Body magic so far: Bike to work. Will be running around and dancing later so I'm pretty sure that I can pull back a maintain if I focus for the next few days.

I blame meal deals... they're just too tempting.

Triggers I've noticed in the last two days:
  • Social - Last night's drinking was social
  • Romance - OH and I had a few beers
  • Tiredness - I'm exhausted today, so needed more carbohydrate options, I was going to get a jacket potato but the queue was huge
  • Convenience - Chips on Wednesday was because we were out and most places were closed
  • Hangover eating - also see tiredness, I don't really get hangovers but it's hunger related to alcohol.
  • Hunger - Thinking about the last two really good weeks, I've not had nearly as much free food to hand. I need to plan more free food into my routine, and suck up the cost, it's not as much as a binge like today's.

It's funny, I'm already feeling a bit more positive after the slightest bit of reflection :)

I've also decided to count the syns....holy moly, is 51 syns. I have been brutally honest in my food diary. I'm going to contact my SW consultant if I'm still struggling tomorrow, I'm not sure I'll get the chance to eat tonight.

I Know! it's such a cheat but... and I know this is bad... I knew I'd get Slimmer of the Week if I tried it, and I am entirely motivated by stickers!

Lol I totally get that, I'd have done the same thing! I weigh in on a Monday and try and know that my weekend has to be good. It works for me because I mostly like to do my social stuff in the week these days, and keep the weekend completely for myself!

Triggers - get most of those too
Social - at the moment I can get by on lime and soda provided I record it before I go out
Romance - the guy I currently like doesn't live in this country, and the time difference has to be carefully managed anyway, so not an issue until we see each other again in November! Not sure it's going to last though (see stress below!)
Tiredness - agree, although think it affects me two days later. Don't think I can cope with more than 2 x 5 hour night sleep nights a week these days! God, I'm getting old!
Convenience - this one is ok for me. I'll wait until I can eat something I can calorie count.
Hangover eating - touchwood have avoided that for 1.5 months, so will report back tomorrow!
Hunger - frankly with the amount of salad I eat everyday for lunch, genuine hunger is just not a problem!! It's the craving for snacks that's the issue!
For me I'd add stress (work and personal)...! Today has been bad on both counts :(

I agree with the hatred of meal deals, they are the reason I'd put on 11kg over 4 years (eating the best part of meal deals for 2 singlehandedly at least once a week). But seriously, there are a lot of single people these days, why would the shops put that sort of temptation in our way????!! Other countries don't.

Honestly, today, for you? Yeah, it wasn't the healthiest of choices. But your breakfast shows you're still committed. And you're here anyway - if you couldn't be arsed to lose weight then you wouldn't even be logging on...:)

Hope tomorrow is good for you! (And for me too!)

Thank you! You're ace!

The rest of my weekend was topsy turvey! After Friday lunch, I was so busy the next time I had time to eat was Sunday morning, so I'm going to pick this up there:

Sunday food diary:
B: Baked beans with half HXA cheese.
L: Jacket potato with tuna and half HXA cheese.
S: Fruit
D: Chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy (2), carrots, broccoli.
2nd D: 2 x pizza slices, salad, 0.5 chips, (Many syns, probably 20)

So after a technically super good Saturday I had another super busy day on Sunday and ended up in the pub and being hungry. It's a new project run by my friends so it couldn't be avoided and the food looks just amazing. I avoided alcohol by driving :)

It's Monday, and I'm back on plan. Got an organised couple of days ahead of me, and am not feeling too bad in body or spirit. Weekends and weeks like this are going to happen in my crazy life. I have to accept that, and even if I have several weeks like this in a row, I should still have faith in myself, and not give up. I deserve to be healthy, I deserve to live to 80 without avoidable health conditions such as liver and heart diseases.

Catching up again, I'm not really getting the hang of this busy thing!

Monday food diary:
B; Large cooked breakfast with mushrooms, tomato, eggs, tofu, potato and HXCheese
L: Mugshot and 2 x mandarins
D: Marrow stuffed with bolognaise. Beer 9 syns
2nd D: Patato, bacon, eggs, cheese.

Body magic: walk dog, potter around house.

Did very well not to overeat this day. Was mostly at home, had a visit to the supermarket. Study day.

Tuesday food diary:
B: 3 x Scanbran, yogurt, banana
L: V strong coffee, carrot, apple, mandarin.
S: Apple
D: Prawn sandwich (18 syns)

Body magic, cycling around, rushing around.
Was too busy today, rushed around in the morning, was too busy at work at lunch, rushed around getting to group, rushed to get to OH's house. I knew she wouldn't have thought about me and food so picked up what I could in the time I had.

Weigh in: went well! Lost 1.5 lbs, so a total of 12lbs in 3 weeks. Now to push for -2lbs for next week and hopefully my stone award :).

Challenges ahead of me this week:
Wednesday: More rushing around, pub with friend. Uncertain eating arrangements.
Thursday: Romance
Friday: Study day
Saturday: Study day
Sunday: Study/Romance
Monday: Study/Romance
Tuesday: No challenges...so far....

I'm a bit disappointed I only managed to run once last week, and it looks like I won't have enough time to run in the week ahead. I need to crack on with my studies so am going to have a pretty intensive weekend of reading and writing, however I may try to run on Friday and Sunday... That's a plan.

Food plans for the week ahead, I've got a load of left overs hanging around, so need to get rid of them. Also more carrots and scan bran!

So pub last night with friend was fun, but definitely not on plan, and there's a really greedy reason. I'm ashamed, and hid it from my friend and OH but am not hiding it from myself.

Wednesday food diary:
B: 3 x scan bran, banana, yogurt, clementine, apple.
S: 2 x scan bran with 2 x cheese triangles (HXA&B)
L:Left over stuffed marrow, 2 x cheese slice (9 syns) bar of chocolate (10 syns)
S: 4 x cheese triangles, carrot, chicken, yogurt, clementine
D: Stuffed marrow, 2xcheese (9 syns) slices.
2nd D: Chicken and pepper skewers with chips.... Guessing 14 syns for the chips and 5 for oil.
Drinks: 4 x G&T 16 syns

All together.....63 syns....

In my defense, I tried doing all the things they tell you to do. I tried eating before I went out so I didn't need to eat, but it was just the two of us and my friend was eating and offered to buy me dinner. I tried not drinking so much by having singles. I also didn't go for the fried things, I opted for grilled (which I noticed had more calories than some of the fired options).

I think I need to re-evaluate and really focus for the rest of the week. I have a bit of a risk tonight as someone is making me nachos, but I'm going to offer to drive so no risk of booze.

I can definitely turn this around though, OH is away for the weekend and I have no social engagements so will be able to be as healthy as I can :)

Aw hun life just gets in the way sometimes.

Offering to drive is a fab idea xxxx

Uuuuggghhh! What a week! Life totally got in the way. Haven't managed to keep to any of my goals, but it's been a hack of a week, and have done the right thing for everyone around me. The week ahead I can focus on me.

I get weighed tonight, and hope I haven't put more than 2lbs on, and know I can lost 4 in a week so am aiming for that for the next week ahead.

I have faith in myself!

I had a bad week. I knew it was coming, and it was bad. +3.5. Still, I've lost 8.5lbs in 4 weeks which is excellent, better than I expected, and now I need to get back on plan.

Last night I had a delicious SP carbonara with Courgetti instead of pasta. Will definitely do this again, possibly this week!

I'm going to come up with a plan!

I've been pretty excellent in the last 24 hours or so, but there's a packet of biscuits on this desk! It's torture!

Only 3.5 syns for a biscuit... Or a gin and a bit...

8.5 lb in 4 weeks is amazing! Don't beat yourself up about the +3.5 lb, don't they say it's 3500 extra calories that add a pound? I doubt last week was *that* bad, so it'll probably drop off soon :)
Step away from the biscuits...

I totally managed to resist the biscuits! Go me :)
And thanks for your kind words, I also very much doubt that it was one week of being bad that was the sole contributor to my massive gain. But i'm trying not to over think it.

Yesterday's food diary (Wednesday)
B: Yogurt and some pineapple
S: 3x Scan bran and 3xCheese Triangle
L: Sweet jacket potato and left over chickpea and spinach curry
S: Banana
S: 2 x Scan bran 3 x cheese triangle
D: Steak, SW chips, tomato, mushroom broccoli. (Oil 1 syn, mayo 10 syns)

The mayo was totally worth it, was delicious! And I need to use it up still, once it's gone it won't be tempting me!

I was so incredibly full after tea, I was uncomfortable. I'm ashamed that I kept on eating, but I can't stand food waste. I'm still feeling quite full this morning so I'm hoping that I'll graze through the morning comfortably, and stick to my plan:

Thursday plan:
B: Apple, clementine, yogurt
S: Kiwi, banana,
L: freezer surprise, scan bran
S: Carrots, cheese triangles, more fruit
D: Veggie omelette

Exciting!
OH is also out of the way today so can't tempt me with delicious beers and foods! :)

Thursday's plan looks nice, especially the mystery freezer food... ;)
Yes, it's a lot easier to stick to the diet when it's only yourself to answer to!

So you know when life gets in the way? Well, that!

Was totally on plan on Thursday, was a great day. Friday wasn't too bad, even though I had the day off from my dayjob, I ended up working a 12 hour shift at a pub to give my friend a hand. Ended up there on Saturday too. Sunday was spent with friends, and today so far I've been as good as gold including a run!

Here's a summary of food diary:

Friday:
B: Good
S: 0.5 of cake
L: around 5 chips
D: banana, apple, clementine, Beer!
Body magic, lots of cycling and working behind the bar

Saturday
B: Good
S: 0.5 spagetti hoops
L:
D: 0.5 coronation chicken sandwich
Drinks: loads, all free of charge!
BM: working behind the bar and dancing!

Sunday
B none
L burger and chips!
D chicken kebab!
BM: walk the dog

Monday
B: Fruit
L: Scan bran and cheese
S Fruit
BM 20 mins run around the park, walk with dog.

So I could have been worse, but I could have been better. Am back on it today, a day of scan bran is always good to get me back on track :)

Weigh in tomorrow, exciting!

The rest of Monday was good, went to the pub and only had 1 G&T for 3 syns, then had a few snacks but was probably well within the SYN allowance. Not bad for a family night in. It was definitely saying no to wine that helped me resist. That and the fact I had a whole punnet of grapes on the go :)

Tuesday was bad, was at a work event:
B: Clementine, shortbread biscuit!
L: Salad with balsamic dresssing, sandwiches
S: Clementine, chocolate, 2 x biscuits
D: A gorgeous sweet potato, ham, mushroom, spinach Parmesan and egg creation I whipped up. Was soooo good!
BM: Cycled ~14 miles

I'm a little bit sore from Monday's run, perhaps it was as hard as it felt after all! Will try to go tonight after work, before tea, but I'm usually rubbish at this time.

Weigh in was good, it was one of those I could have done a lot worse ones, so next week will be a challenge! It was also lovely to see people, and I made a new friend :) I lost 2, which could be a miracle or could be evidence of my smaller portions and diligence when I've been good. I've set myself a mini target of -3.5! Even if I get 2 I'll be pleased as I will be on target for my 6 weeks mini target :)

Things to help me this week, I'm going to try to not drink, am going to eat as much speed food when at home and at work. I'm going to limit my healthy options, which means choosing dinners where I won't miss cheese!

Will have a good plan this morning, that always helps :)

Wednesday food diary:
B: Apple, clementine, Kiwi
S: Banana
L: Freezer surprise - SP bolognaise. Tin of WW tuna 2SYNS.
S: Ham, yogurt. 2 x biscuit 6SYNS. Hot chocolate 3SYNS. Chocolate 3SYNS
D: Potato, mushroom, spinach, ham, egg, parmesan (HXA) BBQ sauce 1SYN
Pub: No booze, a few nuts, a couple of biscuits.
BM: cycled to and from work.

So, it could have been worse. It could have been a lot worse! I drove to the pub so I wouldn't drink, it's only a mile away but by having the car I can't drink :)

Well done on avoiding the booze! I've found that since I stopped drinking (mostly!) I'm able to lose weight more easily. It's not just about the calories in the alcohol and the snacks you have with it, it's the fact that your liver doesn't have to work to process the alcohol before dealing with anything else! My metabolism is definitely better now. You're doing really well, and 2lb is very sustainable. 3.5 is definitely possible, especially when you're do motivated, but don't forget it will get rarer the more weight you lose :) Why are you cutting back on the HEX?

SO it's been another crazy week. I've not had time to complete the blog as much as I'd like, but it's still in my mind to do it, and here I am.

It's also the end of my initial 6 week period, and here's how I've got on:

• To start running twice a week (no set distance or time yet, I just need to get out there)
  • This has been a lot harder than I'd thought. I really really struggle to run in the evenings. I've been running every week except one, and my last run I ran for 35 minutes - there's a clear improvements and I'm keen to develop it further. I'm definitely going to have another fitness goal in my next 6 week goals.
  • To keep a food diary and be mindful about what I'm eating, even if I go way over on syns
  • I've been a bit up and down with this. I think investing in the good notebook helped a lot, and I am better when I'm keeping a detaild food diary. On reflection, this is two goals, as mindful eating is still eluding me somewhat. I think I'm much better than I was a few weeks ago, but I'd like to improve more as we get closer to Christmas.
  • Aim to lose on average 2lbs a week, so 12 lbs in 6 weeks
  • Drumroll please...... In the first 6 weeks at SW I lost a total of 12 lbs, so I'm bang on my goal! I feel a little disappointed, becasue I thought I'd smash this, but I haven't held back, I've not sacrificed a few days with sky high syns, and I know if I want these results I need to focus more! So far I've lost ~6.37% of my bodyweight, which is great. I've got a very clear and very obtainable goal in mind for the next 6 weeks :)
  • To keep writing a personal diary, to track emotions and detect patterns
  • This is working really well for me. I'm writing it for me, but it's lovely to know that other people are interested. I love receiving comments from you guys!

So, in summary, I think the last 6 weeks has been a success. Here are some goals for the next 7 weeks (I'm increasing it to 7 as it's 7 weigh ins before Christmas)

Fitness:

• Aim to continue running once or twice a week.
  • Increase running time to 1 hour over 6 weeks.
Weight:
  • Aim to lose on average 1lb per week. This will take me past my stone award and I'll be at my club 10 award! Weight loss by 20th December will be 12st 1.5lbs or lower.
Lifestyle
  • Try not to binge on housemate's chocolate
  • Try not to be greedy with snacks at work.
So it looks like a lot, but it's totally manageable.

Last night and today have so far been really good days, and I've got a lovely mean planned with pumpkin chips!

Back