Abbies Diary - Now Mummy To Gorgeous Baby Ethan

I did, exciting times! :D

Last edited:
Oooo! :D Mega excited and nervous to high heaven too! Gonna have a shower soon incase something begins and I'm too whacked out of it by then to have a shower.

Ladies, I've lost my plug. See? I'm too giddy, I'm not sure where I'm posting anymore haha!

Ooooh I am excited for you now, really hope something happens;)
keep us posted.

Oooh i'm all excited for you, hope this is the start of something! Lots of luck! x

Couldn't be in slower labour if I tried! Been having contractions since 2:30am, but they're all over the place. Apparently normal though. Doesn't feel it to me.

My contractions with my second son started 2 days after I lost my plug......fingers crossed......good luck for the birth......dont forget to concentrate on your breathing that worked for me with gas and air xxx

Congratulations Abbie! Well done hun, he was determined to keep you waiting hey? Can't wait to see pics :)
Welcome to the world Ethan x

"Ethan was finally born after a horrendous 55 hour labour at 9.37am today (yesterday, 24/05) & weighed 6lb 10oz" :character00100:

Congratulations Abbie!!!

Awww huge congratulations Abbie, can't wait to hear how you are getting along, take care love Jo

Congratulations!! Small little bubba considering he was over due x x x

Hiya everyone,

Well I'm finally back from the hospital today with my gorgeous little man who finally arrived after a horrendous 55 hour labour which left me mentally and physically exhausted.
I posted on here with much excitement on Friday that my plug was coming away and I'm sure this was as a result of my rather "vigourous" sweep which was given to me on Thursday by my consultant. I was excited because it was going to be interesting to see whether I was going to be induced or go before that. I'd decided that it was most probable that I'd end up being induced.
I should have known that saying "Oooo my last weekend before the baby comes" was going to be tempting fate.

I went to bed at 2am and at 2:30am, I got my first pains, which were 10 mins apart and at first I wasn't sure if I was imagining it but then the pains were getting a little more frequent and a tad more painful. They started off round my back and slowly but surely started working their way round to my front and getting a tad lower to my groin each time. I had my TENS machine on and sat thinking "Ooo how cool, the baby might be here by the time Doctor Who comes on" Again...I totally could not have predicted how wrong I was.

I'd phoned up the hospital a couple of times because I was getting frustrated with the fact my contractions were sometimes spacing out and sometimes coming together and they only wanted me in when they had become more regular which they just didn't seem to be doing. They were just all over the place.
Come 7pm, I'd been in labour for hours and hours and there was just nothing happen with regards to these contractions getting more regular, so I called up the labour ward and pretty much begged to come in for me to get checked over and I was getting really sore and frustrated from not knowing what was going on, they said if I wanted to come up, I could.
It took ages for me to get ready and we didn't get up to the hospital until about 9pm.
I saw the same midwife who had checked me over when I thought I'd gone into labour last time and had had the false alarm and she seemed surprised to see me again 2 weeks later and all I could think was "oh my god, if this isn't real labour, she's going to think i'm weird", but to go over 12 hours with pains?? I don't know, I was believing by that point that I was in labour and as it turned out when she did my internal, she told me I was 4cm dilated. I felt really happy that at least all that unmonitered progress had made me almost half way and I started thinking about the fact I'd have my baby soon.
She went out of the room and while hooked up to the CTG moniter, for some unknown reason I started laughing my head off which pissed my OH off because the noise was atrocious from the feedback from the doppler bit and plus it was screwing up the results. I even had a giggle when I got on the gas and air.
Then around 2:30am on Sunday Morning, after another internal after spending the first hour in the bath on the labour ward to help deal with the pain of the contractions and then a further few hours bouncing on the birthing ball using the TENS machine and the gas and air, when I had that internal, I had back tracked to 3cm. I felt so deflated it was unreal. I had been so sure I was getting on great and things were progressing. I then had to be moved onto the maternity ward at 3am and stay there by myself which made me even more distraught as I was in so much pain and could only stare aimlessly out of the window where I could see my OH's car and get high off my face on Gas & Air.
At 7am, the midwife who I'd seen when I first came in asked where my partner was as I was in tears from the pain and apparently howling, obviously oblivious to it and I said he got sent home because I'd moved wards and that he was sat in the carpark and she was furious. She said that considering the circumstances and the fact that I was also the only person in the 4 bed ward that it would have been no trouble for me to have had him with me. So she said to call him up and get him to come up to which I did and cried with relief when he turned up almost 2 minutes later.
I then had another setback at my next internal, I was back to 4cm and this was yet after more hours of contracting and being on gas and air. I was so upset and distraught at this point that I got OH to ring my dad because I wanted him there. I just needed him to be around for me. 23 and I'm still a daddys girl. I also had the Pethidine injection also as I was really starting to struggle.
My dad was there a couple hours later and I felt confident that now what with it being gone midday that things had to happen soon.
I had another internal yet AGAIN and was crushed to learn that nothing was any different. I was still only 4cm and I howled in despair. It was well over 24 hours, coming up to 31 hours and I was just getting desperate. My waters were also still in tact and I had been certain things were getting further because I felt a really major pressure down below and felt like I needed to push, which turned out it was my waters wanting to break.
I had another internal after screaming I wanted to push, I swear to god, I had so many hands up my fanjo, I don't actually know how many people gave me internals and this time I was found to be 6cm dilated so they decided to transfer me back to labour ward.
Once over there, I had yet another internal as it was a new member of staff and she told me I was back to 5cm. I was so hacked off and exhausted that I decided I wanted the epidural, this was done about 9pm and the relief was really pretty much instant. I had the epidural where it gets topped up every 20 minutes or so, I missed one top up and ended up on gas and air again. In fact, I started using the gas and air to conk myself out and plus I could still feel some of the contractions when the epidural was closer to needing to be topped up.
By 2:30am, yesterday morning, I was extra certain that something HAD to have happened to have helped me progress, especially with having the epidural, but nope! I was only 6cm dilated. This was 48 hours after first going into labour.
I was finally told I was fully dilated at 7am yesterday morning and that I could start pushing an hour after that.
By then I had absolutely no energy left whatsoever but the fact I was now, 54 hours later, fully dilated and getting ready to push helped boost me up a bit.
That was until I began pushing and pushing fruitlessly for over an hour and then in the end, I was so distressed and the doctors could see this that I screamed "Please put me out of my misery and HELP ME", then the doctor came in with a about 5 medical students who all got prepped to take me to Theatre where the lead doctor explained that I would be medically assisted with either the ventouse or forceps to help me deliver. I was contracting one on top of the other and still trying to push the baby out at the same time and it was causing me so much pain but once the epidural was readministered, the pain went away and I was able to sit and relatively relax whilst they got everything sorted out and me in place. I wasn't scared by this point. I was so far gone from everything, my main concern was just getting the baby out. Even when the doctor said he had to give me an Episotomy, I could only say "Go for it".
Eventually after 3 pushes and a 55 hour labour which started at 2:30am on Saturday at 9:37am yesterday morning 24/05/2010, Ethan Jack Young was pushed into the world weighing in at 6lbs 10oz.
The labour was very long, very exhausting, I've still not slept. I've not been to bed since Thursday night and I'm shattered but I'm in total awe of my baby boy!
icon_biggrin.gif
I love him to pieces.

Aww well done Abbie! That sounds horrendous! Can't wait to see pics of your little man. Hope he lets you get some sleep. Congratulations! x

Back