Abs and love handles

98quira

Hi there

does anyone know any effective exercises for abs and love handles? Ive run for at least 45 mins 3 x a week for two years now and i still have a flabby stomach and love handles. I usually do 100 sit ups every mornin

thanks

Sometimes a flabby tummy can be difficult to shift if you have had children. Get an Ab Roller, you can get them really cheaply from Argos, Sports Direct, Asda, Tesco. Either that do lots of sit ups. Running is more for the legs than for the abs.

I have been trying to get rid of love handles, and a good way is to get 2 dumbells (or cans) and move downwards and pulse for about 4 secs then do the other side. you will def feel it the next day and the love handles will start disappearing if you keep doing it every day, even when just watching the tv.

Hope this helps

Sara-Jayne

iv been using a pre historic peice of gmy equipment- t bar shaped bungee thing that helps u to do sit ups on the floor. I do 300 a night.. doesnt take that long and its easier than doing sit ups unaided. Doesnt strain the back - the spring kinda pulls u back up.
Ive noticed a serious different with my abs. I used to have a really flat stomack before the gallstones took over and its great to see it coming back..... and it is coming back thank god. Everyday there is a little bit more definition.
Keep up with the sit ups and it will happen .. just takes a bit of time

I did read somewhere that in order to get rid of the love handles you should do the following.

When doing a sit up- bend ur knees and do a criss cross thing with your elblows.
Right elbow touches left knee
Then left elblow touches right knee

Apparently it does get rid of them ... I dont do it. If I let go of my spring thing I cant get off the ground !!!!!!!!!!!!

I am determined to get rid of mine and there are a few yoga positions and pilates moves designed specifically for the outer hip area, if you are a member of a gym it's worth asking one of the trainers to help you devise some toning exercises too.

Apparently the "plank" is brilliant for the abs - esp the lower stomach...recommended 3 x 1 min sessions per day according to a personal trainer on the Chris Evans show the other week.

Not sure if this works because I can't hold the pose for more than 30 seconds before I start shaking:eek:

I'm sure we would all like to know if you find something that works those areas:)

Haha, 30 seconds of the plank before you started to shake?
I collapse after about 15 :eek:

Crunches are better for your back than sit-ups (i.e. doesn't hurt!) and I find they work my stomach more, too.

There's some good videos on you tube that target the abs and love handles. I just searched for 'love handles' and loads came up.

We do 'the plank' as part of our conditioning in karate and kickboxing. You have to suspend your entire body balancing on your elbows and the balls of your feet and your body has to be completely straight. We have to do it for a minute and if anyone puts a knee on the floor we have to start again!

Hi All,

Thought this wee info might help you

Index: Top 10 Most Effective Ab Exercises

1. Bicycle Exercise
  2. Captain's Chair
  3. Exercise Ball Crunch
  4. Vertical Leg Crunch
  5. Torso Track
  6. Long Arm Crunch
  7. Reverse Crunch
  8. Full Vertical Crunch
  9. Ab Rocker
  10. Plank on Elbows and Toes
bike2.jpg

Bicycle Excerise (above)

The Bicycle exercise is the best move to target the rectus abdominis (i.e., the 'six pack') and the obliques (the waist), according to a study done by the American Council on Exercise. To do this exercise correctly: 1. Lie face up on the floor and lace your fingers behind your head.
2. Bring the knees in towards the chest and lift the shoulder blades off the ground without pulling on the neck.
3. Straight the left leg out to about a 45-degree angle while simultaneously turning the upper body to the right, bringing the left elbow towards the right knee.
4. Switch sides, bringing the right elbow towards the left knee.
5. Continue alternating sides in a 'pedaling' motion for 12-16 reps

captainschair.jpg

Captains Char Above
1. Stand on chair and grip handholds to stabilize your upper body.
2. Press your back against the pad and contract the abs to raise the legs and lift knees towards your chest.
3. Don't arch the back and remember to breathe smoothly.
4. Slowly lower back down and repeat for 12-16 reps.
ballcrunch.jpg

Excerise ball crunch (above)
1. Lie face-up with the ball resting under your mid/lower back.
2. Cross your arms over the chest or place them behind your head.
3. Contract your abs to lift your torso off the ball, pulling the bottom of your ribcage down toward your hips.
4. As you curl up, keep the ball stable (i.e., you shouldn't roll).
5. Lower back down, getting a stretch in the abs, and repeat for 12-16 reps.

verticalcrunch.jpg

Vertical Leg Crunch (above)
The vertical leg crunch is another effective move for the rectus abdominis and the obliques. To do it right:
1. Lie face up on the floor and extend the legs straight up with knees crossed.
2. Contract the abs to lift the shoulder blades off the floor, as though reaching your chest towards your feet.
3. Keep the legs in a fixed position and imagine bringing your belly button towards your spine at the top of the movement.
4. Lower and repeat for 12-16 reps.

TorsoTrack2.jpg

Torso Track Above
The Torso Track is a tough exercise because it can hurt your back if you're not careful.
1. Grip the handles of the Torso Track and pull the abs in without holding your breath (as though bracing them).
2. Exhale and glide forward as far as you comfortably can. If you collapse in the middle and feel it in your back, you've gone too far.
3. Contract the abs to pull your body back.
4. Add tension by using more tension chords

longarmcrunch.jpg

Long Arm Crunch Above
1. Lie on a mat and extend the arms straight out behind the head with hands clasped, keeping the arms next to the ears.
2. Contract the abs and lift the shoulder blades off the floor.
3. Keep the arms straight and avoid straining the neck. If you feel neck pain, take one hand behind the head while keeping the other arm extended.
4. Lower and repeat for 12-16 reps
reversecrunch.jpg

Reverse Crunch

It may seem like the reverse crunch is for the lower abs but, remember, the rectus abdominis is one long muscle, so you can't separate upper from lower. To do this move right:
1. Lie on the floor and place hands on the floor or behind the head.
2. Bring the knees in towards the chest until they're bent to 90 degrees, with feet together or crossed.
3. Contract the abs to curl the hips off the floor, reaching the legs up towards the ceiling.
4. Lower and repeat for 12-16 reps.
5. It's a very small movement, so try to use your abs to lift your hips rather than swinging your legs and creating momentum.

fullverticalcrunch.jpg

Full vertical Crunch
In a full verticul crunch, you really work the abs by involving both the upper and lower body. To do it right:
1. Lie on your back and extend the legs up towards the ceiling.
2. Place hands behind your head (lightly cupping it) and contract the abs to lift the shoulder blades off the floor.
3. At the same time, press the heels towards the ceiling, creating a 'u' shape with the torso.
4. Lower down and repeat for 12-16 reps.

F-42506-5.jpg

Ab Rocker Above
The Ab Rocker (or roller) is number 9 for targeting the rectus abdominis. To do it right:
1. Sit on the Ab Rocker and grab the bars in each hand.
2. Contract the abs and rock forward, originating the movement from the abs rather than using momentum.
3. Release and repeat for 1-3 sets of 12-16 reps.
4. Go slowly to reduce momentum. Try to focus on the abs rather than pushing with the arms

plank1.jpg

Plank above
The plank exercise ranked number 10 in the ACE study and is a great way to build endurance in both the abs and back, as well as stabilizer muscles. To do it right:
1. Lie face down on mat resting on the forearms, palms flat on the floor.
2. Push off the floor, raising up onto toes and resting on the elbows.
3. Keep your back flat, in a straight line from head to heels.
4. Tilt your pelvis and contract your abdominals to prevent your rear end from sticking up in the air.
5. Hold for 20 to 60 seconds, lower and repeat for 3-5 reps.

Im going to try it when i get home... which isnt for ages though. Only 9.15am for me.. At work hehe. can you see how hard im working?

You probably have a nice set of abs underneath your visceral fat layer,, you just need to burn that fat off. My personal trainer says "great abs are achieved in the kitchen aswell as the gym". You need to start doing full body resistance excersices with free weights and dunbells to enable full fat burning zone. Keeping you metabolism burning all day by eating little and often and Im also finding that power walking on the steepest incline of the treadmill at 4mph for at least 10 mins is also helping. Good luck hope that helps.

Back