Advice please :(

Fattack

Likes to eat
So, I'm sick. My doctor told me to have plain stuff like bread over the next 24 hours until I'm feeling better.

I've had two slices of toast and two crumpets, both with some low fat olive spread. I know I'll be out of ketosis with this... but is there any way I can get back into it faster? I'm already feeling quite a bit better, just annoyed at myself for being sick and giving into the advice!!

Weird doctor, whenever I've been sick (either end :giggle:) doctor has always suggested to stay away from wheat and dairy products and if able to, don't eat for 24 hours to starve the bug, just drink fluids.

I don't think there's a quick way to get back into ketosis. The only way you can help the body is by cutting down carbs, but you're going to be filling your body with them. So I think it's just starting all over again

What was you sick with for him to advise bread etc?? huh? weird

Anyway whats done is done :)

Just start again and get back into ya packs etc

Wish you better xxxx

Glad you are feeling better mince, its a rotten time of the year (being so cold) to also have been unwell.
Your health comes first, so you complied with the doctor and now its back to the tried and tested techniques for getting into ketosis, keep busy, drink fluids, have nice baths, early nights, don't overdo exercise etc
Good Luck, you will soon get there x

I've always been told to eat things like saltine crackers and broth but never have I been told to starve out the bug. In fact I tried doing that on my own and didn't eat for 24 hours and ended up in the hospital for malnutrition. Interesting stuff indeed!

Sorry to hear you've been poorly :hug99:

Must admit that when I'm sick, I'm desperate for toast for some reason. However, I'm better at curbing this these days. If I'm poorly and I need toast, I get toast....but nothing on it, just dry, as I doubt the fat helps my stomach when it's upset.

BTW, just my viewpoint for me. Not in your shoes at the time ;)

Not really an easy way to get back, but if that's all you've had, no doubt just getting back to your packs should sort it quite quick

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

but never have I been told to starve out the bug.

Don't know about these days, but at least up to 15 years ago (perhaps sooner), we were always told not to eat for 24 hours. I remember it being a nightmare with small children who were beginning to feel better. Struggling with trying to follow the drs advice and yet wanting to follow my own instincts.

Don't know about these days, but at least up to 15 years ago (perhaps sooner), we were always told not to eat for 24 hours. I remember it being a nightmare with small children who were beginning to feel better. Struggling with trying to follow the drs advice and yet wanting to follow my own instincts.

Still told around here not to eat for 24 hours if you've vomitted or had diarrhea for adults and children.

So hence why I found it weird a doctor would suggest bread or anything other than too much alcohol consumption.

But I guess that's why these people are doctors!

Guess again, Becca - most GPs have very little training in nutrition. That's one of the reasons why many of us have problems persuading them that doing CD is a good idea...

I would imagine that the doctor in question was actually recommending the consumption of dry toast (ie, without spread) as that seems to be the common 'wisdom' for what to do about tummy upsets, as KD says. He probably didn't have crumpets in mind... ;)

Mince, I'm glad you're feeling better. The chances are it won't actually take long to get back into ketosis. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think glycogen stores 'hold' something like 2000 calories worth - that's why it take a few days to get through them and get into ketosis. Two slices of toast and crumpets plus spread would add up to something like 500-ish calories. So with a bit of luck and a fair wind, I reckon you could be back in ketosis within 36 hours.

'Course, I could be completely wrong in my thinking, but it sort of makes sense to me... :D

It's a chest / stomach thing(initially vomiting for the first 24 hours then just general pain- was very funny if he asked me if I'd been eating a dodgy takeaway as I do SS 100%). He told me to eat something as I also have issues with my colon and it's also been flaring up and is probably the reason I'm not well.

Thanks for the responses all, especially Lily and KD. I had the crumpets as I'm not really a fan of toast and I remembered being told by someone somewhere that they were quite low in cals / fat (plus I really like crumpets so was probably clinging to an "excuse" for eating those haha).

Last edited:
LOL, I lurrve crumpets. Can't have them in the house, sigh...

You poor thing, hope you feel a lot better soon. My tummy's behaving really oddly at the moment, too. It makes a nice change (sort of :rolleyes:), cos I usually get all bunged up on CD... I'm fairly sure it's a bug that's doing the rounds cos my OH had it too.

I think it's messing with my weight loss rate too, cos although I'd lost weight when I weighed in yesterday, it wasn't anywhere near as much as I normally lose in week 1.

Actually, come to think of it, it was probably that thought at the back of my mind that triggered off my munchies last night. Hadn't realised that until just now...

Bah...

I wish this dieting lark didn't mess with your head so much!

It's really annoying - yesterday I weighed the lightest I have in years (10st 5lbs) and was buzzing and then had to be sent home from work vomiting... I was literally like NOOOOOOOOOOOO when the doctor advised me to seriously eat something.

I also can get bunged up on CD and I sympathise with you because it's so unpleasant - I take movicol to clear it, do recommend although it's quite expensive from the chemist (about 8quid for 20 sachets if I remeber correctly) but I get it on prescription mostly these days because of my funny colon!

Back