Advice regards a swimming regime

Crafty Girl

Silver Member
Hi there

I am wanting to get back into swimming as I have arthritis and find that this is the only exercise I can do without pain. Can anyone suggest how many lengths I should be aiming for and at what rate I should increase them. I have a pass for the local swimming baths and intend going 3 times a week.

Thanks

I take my daughter (3yrs) swimming with me and so I can't actually do laps, I just float about and try to swim 'on the spot' and do some stretching etc but it still helps with my weight loss. As craftymary says, just build up slowly doing whatever makes you comfortable, even if its just holding onto the side and kicking your legs about a bit.

Don't have arthritis but I do have an undiagnosed joint problem that means lots of pain if I overdo it. I find what's working is stopping before you've had enough, time it and afterwards assess how your joints feel - if you are fine add 5-10mins or a few more laps, reassess and so on.
This is purely because it's hard to monitor how hard you've worked in the water and I also have a tendency to feel fine and over do it at the time and then experience incredible pain and exhaustion afterward (anywhere between 30 minute and 2 days after)

Once you've reached your 'capacity' then increase it at smaller, comfortable increments every week or so.

The way I've been seeing it, the extra 10 calories or whatever you'd burn in a minute of extra work is not worth doing your joints in.

I do find that sitting in the jacuzzi afterwards for a cycle makes a huge difference in the way I feel after. So if you don't already maybe try that?

Hope this helps.

Back