Alcohol..

standrewsbride23

Hi, my CDC never mentioned alcohol during the visits. I haven't had a drink but was just wondering if anyone could tell me why we can't have alcohol (I drink vodka), does it mess around with ketosis? :confused: xxx

thanks very much for replying hun, not actually been that bothered about it but I thought I'd just check :) xxx

No problem, youll no doubt get people will tell you oh just have some low or non carb alcohol, they have and were fine but ignore them ;) There have been some absolute horror stories on Minimins from people who have been so ill on just a drink or 2. Its quite scary

yeh I just read down that link and it sounds awful, v glad I didn't have a drink before now! xxx

I just stick with soda water at the pub ! I was surprised no one hassled me to have a drink! But they just all assumed I was pregnant! Lol

If I bring myself out of ketosis will it be ok to drink? Im not even sure if in ketosis yet i have not been hungry since day 1 I'm on my forth day and I'm going out tonight. I know I can't drink as much as I used to but I want to have a few and be sociable. I'm only going to drink vodka and coke zero/diet coke.

But ketosis doesn't really make a difference does it it just stops you feeling hungry ? I'm only going to have a few. I'm on SS+ plan aswell x

Ketosis does make a difference! If you're not in ketosis your liver has glycogen stores, which your body will automatically break down first in preference to breaking down fat so your losses will slow because your body goes into starvation mode. Ketosis protects you from losing muscle mass too so it is a hugely important part of a VLCD and the fact that it suppresses your appetite is a bonus not the reason for it.

You need to eat a good amount of carbs to be able to drink alcohol safely so this gives your liver plenty of glycogen to store. I don't think it's worth the set back personally but everyone is different.

"Food is not comfort if you're not comfortable!"

Back