alcoholic drinks

niknooo

hi all need tips on the best alcoholic drink
im a wine drinker myself but most wines are proving to be high in points , is there a list or if any of you no point values on beer spirits and wines , so i can change to help my diet :)
out again Saturday with family and dont want to blow it ! thanks in advance :)

This is direct from my book:
Alcopops - per bottle
Bacardi breezer blueberry, mango, orange, pineapple, raspberry or watermelon - 3
Bacardi breezer lemon - 5
Bacardi breezer, half sugar, raspberry - 3
VK LO, Pineapple and grapefruit - 1

Beer, Cider & Lager - 1/2 pint unless stated otherwise
Beer, bitter or light ale - 3
Beer or bitter - 330ml bottle - 4
Dry cider - 4
Low alcohol cider - 2
Coors light - 3
Guinness original - 3
Lager - 3
Lager, light , low alcohol or alcohol free, 330ml bottle - 1
Magners light Irish cider, 330ml bottle - 1

Spirits and Liqueurs - 25ml unless stated otherwise
Advocaat - 2
Brandy or gin - 2
High strength liqueur - 3
Medium strength liqueur - 2
Pimms - 2
Rum - 2
Fruit flavour Schnapps - 3
Tequila - 2
Dry Vermouth (50ml) - 2
Sweet Vermouth (50ml) - 3
Vodka - 2
Whisky/bouron - 2

Wine and champagne - 175ml unless stated otherwise
Champagne - 5
Port (50ml) - 3
Sherry (dry, medium or sweet) (50ml) - 2
Dry white - 4
Medium white - 5
Sweet white - 6
Red or rose - 4

So generally, it looks as if a nip of spirits mixed with a diet soft drink is probably best value. But just bear in mind that while your body is processing alcohol, it can't process the other food that you're eating. Basically, it temporarily postpones your body's ability to burn fat, thus meaning you're more likely to store fat. Similarly, it increases your insulin sensitivity, so you're more likely to convert carbs to fat. So even if you've got the points to spare, from a weight-loss perspective it's not a great idea to eat fat/carbs while there's alcohol in your system.

ah thats fab thanks alot , dont normaly bother me about the drinking but i got my mums bday coming up the weekend so deffo gota watch and plan my points :)

I think wine is still good value as a large glass 250mls is 6pp.

Last edited:
I saved 9 points yesterday to have 3 glasses of white wine (medium) but first one went on at 3 pts, second brought total to 7! How can the second glass have more points than the first??

Because although we treat points as discrete values, in reality they're continuous, and there's implicit rounding in them. You should never use decimals in your points, but let's just pretend temporarily for the sake of illustration:
Imagine an item is 1.4 pp. This would get rounded down to 1pp. But if you have two, that's 2.8,so it gets rounded up to 3.
It can work the other way around, too, and sometimes the second portion is ''cheaper'' than the first. For instance, if something is 1.7 then it would automatically be rounded up to 2. But if you have two that's 3.4, which gets rounded down to 3.

19 pro points normally or 6pp for a large glass 250ml

niknooo said:
i save enough out of my weekly's for a bottle ! lol

I do the same, a bottle of wine is much better pp value than 3 pints of lager or guinness which also comes to 18 pp.

This is direct from my book:
Alcopops - per bottle
Bacardi breezer blueberry, mango, orange, pineapple, raspberry or watermelon - 3
Bacardi breezer lemon - 5
Bacardi breezer, half sugar, raspberry - 3
VK LO, Pineapple and grapefruit - 1

Beer, Cider & Lager - 1/2 pint unless stated otherwise
Beer, bitter or light ale - 3
Beer or bitter - 330ml bottle - 4
Dry cider - 4
Low alcohol cider - 2
Coors light - 3
Guinness original - 3
Lager - 3
Lager, light , low alcohol or alcohol free, 330ml bottle - 1
Magners light Irish cider, 330ml bottle - 1

Spirits and Liqueurs - 25ml unless stated otherwise
Advocaat - 2
Brandy or gin - 2
High strength liqueur - 3
Medium strength liqueur - 2
Pimms - 2
Rum - 2
Fruit flavour Schnapps - 3
Tequila - 2
Dry Vermouth (50ml) - 2
Sweet Vermouth (50ml) - 3
Vodka - 2
Whisky/bouron - 2

Wine and champagne - 175ml unless stated otherwise
Champagne - 5
Port (50ml) - 3
Sherry (dry, medium or sweet) (50ml) - 2
Dry white - 4
Medium white - 5
Sweet white - 6
Red or rose - 4

So generally, it looks as if a nip of spirits mixed with a diet soft drink is probably best value. But just bear in mind that while your body is processing alcohol, it can't process the other food that you're eating. Basically, it temporarily postpones your body's ability to burn fat, thus meaning you're more likely to store fat. Similarly, it increases your insulin sensitivity, so you're more likely to convert carbs to fat. So even if you've got the points to spare, from a weight-loss perspective it's not a great idea to eat fat/carbs while there's alcohol in your system.

Just on the magners light cider, the leader told me that 3pp, only non-alco drinks would be 1 pp.:confused: Is there anyway to find out for sure? Is that a new book you have?

Good points on science lesson, something to think about!!:D

Back