Alli's 2011 "Head stuff" diet

Good Morning everyone!!

Just a quick post this morning before it's time to start working. I'm feeling a million times better this morning after having had a "weekend off". I've been pretty careful with food but I have tried to block every diet / food / weight related thought out of my head and it's been lovely. I'm going to carry on with this for a while. I think sometimes there's too much emphasis on thinking our ways out of problems and sometimes it's probably better not to think too much and just get on with it. Certainly for me, thinking just confuses me as I have such conflicting thoughts and so a bit of clear space in my mind is not a bad thing :D.

Time to get going - lot's to do today and the children need to get going for their breakfast clubs!

Have a great week everyone!!!!
Oh Alli, this is so true. I am blinded by science. Read too many books on the subject, all with differing opionions. Harcombe, Atkins, WW, SW, CD, GI. Aarrrrghhh. Sometimes you just have to say, "STOP, I need to get off!"

I really must read Beck, use the tools and stop dieting for once and for all. Just like Icemoose has done. He used CD to get rid of the weight and he has maintained without dieting ever since.

Have a good day hon xx

Good to see you are feeling better Alli, I have battles in my head all the time about losing weight, I wish I could step away from it, but I always think I will once I lose the weight, but I haven't actually lost it yet.....

Hi Alli,

Oh my god, I totally know what you mean. I’ve been raving about a book on my post (in fairness to me, the beginning bit was amazingly brilliant when they were talking about emotional eating, why we overeat etc) and I feel totally confused by it. The women were talking about how they are normal women who lost 10 stone between them on a high protein – low carb diet and right at the very end when they talk about maintenance or “normal eating” they are basically telling you to never eat another potato or banana ever again!! Shocking!! So for a split second I thought, “Sh*t, I had a couple of jacket potatoes last week, I’m never going to lose weight”, quickly followed by, “ARRRGGGHHH!!! Get away book! A jacket potato isn’t going to turn me into Johnny Vegas!”

Totally annoying/confusing/irritating – totally get it.

Hope you’re well J

Love Jess xxx

PS: Note to others - apart from the beginning bit of the book before the "diet-talk" - don't bother!!!
That's why the Beck book is well worth a read Jess as it doesn't recommend any particular diet. Any diet will succeed and maintenance will succeed if you get your head right, as per her instructions. You can borrow my copy when I've finished with it.

xx

Jess,

The Nerys and India book makes me feel exactly the same and I'm wondering if I have the resolve to follow the Dukan diet as it will be so long - but I haven't finished the book yet. I've sent for the Beck book, it should be here tomorrow, so I'll read that and have a think......

xx

Oh Alli, this is so true. I am blinded by science. Read too many books on the subject, all with differing opionions. Harcombe, Atkins, WW, SW, CD, GI. Aarrrrghhh. Sometimes you just have to say, "STOP, I need to get off!"

Me too!!

I've done all of the above and many many more! Should list them all out really - might do that tonight. It would take me a while though :D:eek:

Jess,

The Nerys and India book makes me feel exactly the same and I'm wondering if I have the resolve to follow the Dukan diet as it will be so long - but I haven't finished the book yet. I've sent for the Beck book, it should be here tomorrow, so I'll read that and have a think......

xx

I've done the India & Nerys diet and didn't read the whole book to begin with. Just as much as was needed for each phase. I felt so fooled when I got to the bit where they said that they followed the super strict 2 week phase 1 for 6 months :eek::eek::eek:. So, they basically followed the Atkins for 6 months then - didn't need to buy the book for info on Atkins as I have already been there, done that, got the carb cravings and given in :p

Dukan is very strict and so a massive commitment. Personally I couldn't do it as I'm not a big meat eater and I like my carbs too much. Definitely think reducing simple carbs are important but not to that extent. I suspect it is very effective though if you can stick it out.

Alli,

I'm glad that you felt better for having some time off, you mentioned not feeling good when others are losing weight and you aren't. Well, I'm not losing weight either - because I'm faffing around trying to decide what to do - so we can be our own 2 person support group on here if you like with all others welcome. Perhaps they would cheer us on from the sidelines at least! Alli and Bess's 'Trying to do it this time' plan!

I'm still reading and thinking. Beck diet book should arrive tomorrow and after that decisions will be made....possibly my own plan (ha!?:rolleyes:) or another. I'm inclinded to agree with you about Dukan, very strict - not sloppy old me at all. Still I'll finish it because there are things in all the books which are helpful. India just made me cross, she's very bossy, Nerys is more my style, but I probably need an India to keep me in line....actually no, I don't, it wouldn't work, I'd run and hide from her.....

I don't like the 'clubbyness' of SW and WW, especially not making an evening outing of it, but there is a SW not far away each Tuesday at 9.30am and I can be very flexible with work, so that might be ok........all options open at the moment......I am going to do something though.....and soon. xx

p.s. Atkins insists on fat + protein and Dukan insists on no fat, just protein, both are so sure they are right! Huh? :confused:

Alli,

I'm glad that you felt better for having some time off, you mentioned not feeling good when others are losing weight and you aren't. Well, I'm not losing weight either - because I'm faffing around trying to decide what to do - so we can be our own 2 person support group on here if you like with all others welcome. Perhaps they would cheer us on from the sidelines at least! Alli and Bess's 'Trying to do it this time' plan!

I'm still reading and thinking. Beck diet book should arrive tomorrow and after that decisions will be made....possibly my own plan (ha!?:rolleyes:) or another. I'm inclinded to agree with you about Dukan, very strict - not sloppy old me at all. Still I'll finish it because there are things in all the books which are helpful. India just made me cross, she's very bossy, Nerys is more my style, but I probably need an India to keep me in line....actually no, I don't, it wouldn't work, I'd run and hide from her.....

I don't like the 'clubbyness' of SW and WW, especially not making an evening outing of it, but there is a SW not far away each Tuesday at 9.30am and I can be very flexible with work, so that might be ok........all options open at the moment......I am going to do something though.....and soon. xx
Hiya, I've been reading the Beck book for a couple of days and have done the ARC cards, post-its etc. Tomorrow I will read and carry out the instructions for Day 2. No particular diet recommended in this book, just tools to change your mindset, which will make you a successful dieter/maintainer regardless of dukan, judd, GI etc etc blah blah blah. I think you will find it really useful.

We're all in the same boat on minis, and will continue to support each other whatever our methods to getting to our mutual goal we choose. Good luck. We're all in this together. I like this club :D:D

Good Morning Diary!

Have woken up feeling good this morning. I'm hungry for the first time in ages which is a good sign. I'm still trying not to let weight / diet thoughts stay in my head and it is giving me a much needed break after 15 years on the rollercoaster.

I need to get the Beck book soon as everyone seems to be raving about it but I can't quite bring myself to get another book at the moment. I still haven't finished "Normal Eating", the book I bought when starting back on Intuitive Eating. Funnily enough I feel that I'm eating more intuitively when I'm trying not to think about it too much :rolleyes:. I haven't checked the calorie content on anything for several days now! Then again - I can pretty much pick up any food item and the number of calories will pop into my head :eek::D.

Molly is singing at me, desperate to go out on her run across the fields! Then I'm off to Birmingham for a meeting and I need to be back in time to pick up the kids from school!

Have a good Tuesday everyone!

Morning Alli, have a fab day in Brum... you sound so positive and happy today, and what you said about IE is surely all about that - not thinking too much, just listening to your body. Like most dieters, you know the cal/ carb content of most thinks, roughly at least, so it's just allowing it to become automatic? Letting go of the panic will be by far the biggest step for me, panic is the thing that derails me over and over.

Wanted to thank you for yesterday's lovely support and wise words, they meant a lot.

xxx

Glad to hear you sounding so positive hun
Hope your day has been great
x

Morning All,

Sorry for not posting much on everyone else's diary! I do read them on my phone but it's such a fiddle to type on it so I leave it for later and later never seems to come. Will do better, promise!

Yesterday was an OK day. I had a little mini panic after eating a bag of crisps but managed to stop berating myself and moved on. :)

Oh and I did have another wobble in my "holiday from my ever dieting self" when I went in to Boots. They did Slim Fast powder half price at £2.99. I came out of there with 3 packs and now I'm not sure what to do with them . I could try to have slim fast for my dinner a few times and see if that helps to kick start my motivation. It won't be too hard as it's only one meal...or maybe breakfast and dinner...
I'll see - what I do know is that I can't keep trying to think my way out of this mess. It is not that thinking doesn't work, but for me it is more confusing that it is helpful and that's not a good thing. I know it all intellectually so now I need to just get on with it. Easier said than done, that's for sure!

Have a Wonderful Wednesday!

You'll find your way Alli and I mean YOUR way. In the meantime, I hope you still come on here and keep involved and maybe someone might say something that will just flick the switch for you. There is so much good stuff on here and I know that it is keeping me motivated for sure. I do understand though that sometimes, when everyone else doing well, it can make you feel like a failure and you just want to hide away from it all.

Have more faith in yourself hon. Hugs xxxx

Hey Alli,

Happy Wednesday to you hun!
Good luck with finding the right thing for you hun, there's lots of ways of getting to where you want to be, in the most comfortable way for you, you'll find it
Hugs
xx

Morning Alli, glad you haven't desserted us and are still here. You will decide what to do when you are ready, if you try to do something you are not sure about you are less likely to succeed... I think maybe replacing one meal with the slim fast would be a good idea, start with one meal and if that works okay, move on to 2 and see what happens.... do whatever you feel happy with...

Hi Alli,

Know just what you mean about needing to get on with it, but it's also about finding something that we can stick with. Wales was so sensible when she mentioned losing weight is all about less calories and more movement, perhaps it really is that simple and we get all caught up in the diet industry's lures?

Morning all!

I've just had a slim fast shake and it was quite nice actually. It was a latte flavour so comparable to the cappuccino flavoured CD and it was slightly less sweet which I prefer.

I'm not starting the Slim Fast diet by the way. I just like having shakes for breakfast as it is nice and easy and I can drink them while I'm running around getting the kids ready. I'm still trying to not stress too much about my weight and just try and focus on not overeating. It's going well this week although nibbled a few crackers last night after stressing about the puppy arriving in a couple of days time! It's going to be such a massive change and I don't know how we are going to cope with two lumps in the house!

I'm wearing a dress that I got in the Boden sale today and it's a size 12. I'm very happy with this although it is clearly too small. It's a very forgiving dress thankfully so I think (hope) I can get away with it.

My goals for today is:

1. Get my work done without procrastinating. :8855:
2. Drink lots of water
3. Only fruit between meals - no crackers, crisps or chocolates

Have a great day everyone!

Interesting about the slimfast, have never had one but might be a useful option for travels as I don't like CD tetras... happy with the less sweet thing too.

I tried to look at your dress but just got the whole Boden sale come up, which one did you get? I remember in 2009 we both got Boden cardis size 12, I am still wearing mine, I love it. I got a green cord dress there last year, but it is very straight-up-and-down and still think I am a bit too lumpy for it to be flattering at the moment. Nice to think of though as I didn't wear it much before jumping into the sabotage torrent, so in a month or two it would be almost like having something new. It's a 14 so that's definitely possible, I am in 14s now but that style is NOT forgiving!

Did you decide on a name for the new puppy? I've forgotten!

Laughed too at 'get work done without procrastinating', I am with you on that one. Or I will be, when i've finished faffing about on minis and hoovering the doorstep...

Have a fab day.

xxx

Morning all!

I've just had a slim fast shake and it was quite nice actually. It was a latte flavour so comparable to the cappuccino flavoured CD and it was slightly less sweet which I prefer.

I'm not starting the Slim Fast diet by the way. I just like having shakes for breakfast as it is nice and easy and I can drink them while I'm running around getting the kids ready. I'm still trying to not stress too much about my weight and just try and focus on not overeating. It's going well this week although nibbled a few crackers last night after stressing about the puppy arriving in a couple of days time! It's going to be such a massive change and I don't know how we are going to cope with two lumps in the house!

I'm wearing a dress that I got in the Boden sale today and it's a size 12. I'm very happy with this although it is clearly too small. It's a very forgiving dress thankfully so I think (hope) I can get away with it.

My goals for today is:

1. Get my work done without procrastinating. :8855:
2. Drink lots of water
3. Only fruit between meals - no crackers, crisps or chocolates

Have a great day everyone!
Morning Alli, hope you are having a good day today.

I have got to the bit in the Beck book where she absolutely insists that everytime you eat something, even if it just a few crumbs from the cheese grater (for instance) that you have to sit to eat, therefore you are much more aware of what you are putting into your mouth. Even tasting something you are cooking (to see if it is edible enough for guests in my case:D) That makes perfect sense to me, as I can scoff an ounce of grated cheese whilst sorting out a jacket potato and it not even register on the Richter scale. I've got it all written down on my Response card with the word "SIT" in large letters, to remind me. Also, whilst sitting it has to be proper sitting, no slouching in front of the TV (guilty as charged :eek:)

xxx

Back