*Almost SYN-FREE* home-made soft cheese - in any flavour you like!

Gave it a try last night and this morning I am amazed at the result !!!

I used a small pot of 0% Total greek Yogurt, I mixed in some salt and ground black pepper with some dried herbs of parsley & basil then some cumin powder and coriander powder. I Did what Erm said in a muslin cloth etc then put it in the fridge and this morning it was ready. It tastes loverleyyyyy... and as I understand it will be free food is this right ??

Wow Ermintrude, thank you so much for this it looks amazing!

wow, my great gran used to make this kind of thing fro whole milk. she called it "Colwick Cheese".

Yeah, thing is I still dont think you should be binging on this stuff/eating it in large quantities as a snack. It'll be fine as part of a meal and all that but I guess the usual food abuse issue would come up if you ate tons of it :)

I have another batch of this brewing at the moment. When I made the first batch I left the salt out by mistake. It still worked fine, even though a lot of recipes say you need salt to draw the whey out, it came out very firm. So my latest batch is completely plain - to be tried as a quark/fromage frais replacement. I can't get quark locally, so if I run out it means a 20 mile round trip to get it. I can always get the 0% or 2% yoghurt at the local deli or Spar though, so as it seems to work without the salt I thought it would be worth a try - handy to have as a creamy dressing/mayo/the odd cheesecake(!) stand-by.

I do like playing with my food! :D

moonwatcher said:
I have another batch of this brewing at the moment. When I made the first batch I left the salt out by mistake. It still worked fine, even though a lot of recipes say you need salt to draw the whey out, it came out very firm. So my latest batch is completely plain - to be tried as a quark/fromage frais replacement. I can't get quark locally, so if I run out it means a 20 mile round trip to get it. I can always get the 0% or 2% yoghurt at the local deli or Spar though, so as it seems to work without the salt I thought it would be worth a try - handy to have as a creamy dressing/mayo/the odd cheesecake(!) stand-by.

I do like playing with my food! :D

Is 2% free on EE ?

Is 2% free on EE ?

No 2% is 0.5 syns for the 150g tub, 1.5 syns for the 500g tub. Obviously you end up with less than your starting weight, so if I use the 2% then I count whatever I end up with as the same. TBH I don't use much at a time usually, so it's practically nothing, but I normally count it as half or 1 syn, depending on how much I use. If it is just a scrape on crispbread or toast then I don't count it.

I still need to try this. I look for muslin cloth in every supermarket I go to but can never find it, think I'll use tights and try this next week :) I love the sound of those mini cheesecakes mmmmm.. :drool:

evilpenguin said:
I still need to try this. I look for muslin cloth in every supermarket I go to but can never find it, think I'll use tights and try this next week :) I love the sound of those mini cheesecakes mmmmm.. :drool:

I got mine off ebay! £3 ish x

Or get a piece of net curtain or voile (and give it a good wash) - perhaps from a charity shop? I got my piece of cheesecloth ages ago as a remnant in a fabric shop. It's quite big, but I just hack pieces off when I need them!

Back