An irritating comment...

funcurls

Never gets tired of SW!
Hi all, I wanted to share something with you that somebody said to me yesterday that really irritated me!! I went out with a group of ladies for a meal before seeing a show. It was an italian restaurant and I was happily tucking into linguine pasta with a (very)light tomato sauce, cherry tomatoes and king prawns! A very sensible (and for me yummy) option I thought for an Extra Easy day!! I got talking to the lady (slim and in her 60s)next to me about food and I mentioned I was on Slimming World and had basically lost a stone! I said I wanted to lose another 4 stone but that I was enjoying SW because I could eat lots of the right things (explaining about food optimising etc) and she half laughingly said that I would never do that if I carried on eating like I was (referring to the pasta dish!!) She said that I'd have to exercise like mad to get that much weight off!! I know it sounds ridiculous but I felt really irritated and deflated by the comment! Although I've already proved that it's working for me (but admittedly have a long way to go yet) I still felt hurt by it and started feeling frustrated and negative!! I was annoyed with myself for letting other peoples' comments affect me! Perhaps I should be more thick skinned! Does anyone else take things like that to heart?!X

Oh hun :( I would have felt the same, but you have to think, what does she know? You have proved it's working for you and losing 4 stone will not happen overnight. She either doesn't have to worry about what she eats, or she's constantly in the gym!

Grrrr to her. Think positive - you're doing fab!!:)

The older generations version of a diet is completely different to ours, in their day they just didnt eat to maintain a waspish waist. Things have moved on grandma!

Grumpy Old Cow!! How dare she? I would have told her that I am more than happy on SW and that "these days" we can eat a lot of the right food and loose the weight.. better than starving yourself in the victorian era! You are doing fabby.. No point listening to people that clearly dont understand the plan!

I take EVERYTHING to heart, mate. This is very annoying and makes life difficult sometimes, but I guess this comes from being a sensitive person. The alternative is to be in-sensitive and you end up like that cow-bag!

Sensitivity is a sign of emotional intelligence- embrace the fact that it is part of what makes you a good person.

xxxx

p.s. I have lost 6 stone now with barely getting up off the sofa, so she knows rock all anyway!

These people have no idea, thus don't expect any empathy from them. The results are there and you should tell the world!!

Unfortunatley we all get the odd off the cuff comment that smarts a bit!...
I saw one of my old mates a week or so back and haven't seen him since my fat days ... he said " wow yiu lost weight mate!... yiu got one of those gastic bands"... see what I mean !

keep up the good work,

Phil x

The older generations version of a diet is completely different to ours, in their day they just didnt eat to maintain a waspish waist. Things have moved on grandma!
hey less of "the older generation" I'm nearing 60 with great speed lolxxx

people have to comment about everything. they are usually control freaks and what you are doing can't be neatly compartmentalised so they panic. It really is her issues and not yours. head up look forward and enjoy xxxx

What an idiot!!! To be fair, I can understand why she would think it hard to lose while eating like this - sw is amazing! But how rude of her to comment on it!!!!! Silly cow!!!!

you know it's working for you...so just continue like this!!! You're on the right track :) xx

People have made similar comments to me but as time goes on and the weight comes off it bothers me less as I know that this works for me.

It still amazes me that so many people have the view that in order to be slim/healthy you have to starve yourself or ban a certain food group. This only leads to yo-yo dieting which I have been guilty of in the past but have now seen the SW light lol :D

Take comfort in the fact you have found SW and it is working for you. Well done on your loss so far and good luck for the rest of your journey :)

ah so sorry to hear that someone has just said whatever they felt like without any regard for your feelings!I went to the doctors a few mths ago and a new nurse weighed me and said in the most patroning voice ever "you need to eat less and move more"!I felt so small and the worst bit, she was bigger than me:sigh:

That comment would have narked me too. Why people feel the need to comment on what I'm eating or not eating is beyond me. I have always got very defensive if people comment on what I eat and I never comment on what anyone else is eating.

I find the best way is not to talk about your own food intake or mention to anyone that you're following any sort of eating plan - it doesn't give them the open door to comment. If they comment anyway I just ignore it or tell them I am not interested in their opinion. May be a tad rude but it works for me.

ah so sorry to hear that someone has just said whatever they felt like without any regard for your feelings!I went to the doctors a few mths ago and a new nurse weighed me and said in the most patroning voice ever "you need to eat less and move more"!I felt so small and the worst bit, she was bigger than me:sigh:
You should have said oh don't worry i will never get to your size . . . No that is a bit Bi***y lol

Just make sure you go out with her againwhen youve lost all your weight. revenge is sweeter when you have patience

yu are only human after all and we all want to feel accepted! You have the 'hard evidence' and look at others on here you have loads of stones. It just an opinion - the proof is in the pudding :)

I have had a very similar experience. I had lost 1.5 stone on SW and went to see some friends at a pub. There were a few people that were out, that I hadn't seen for a long time. we we all sitting around the table and a rather bit**y girl that I know from old school days came over, and remarked how 'well' I looked - that really boosted me - until I went into the ladies - and true to form she was in the cubicle saying how disgusting I looked - and had her friend seen my stomach. To be quite honest I was crushed - and began to panic about how I was going to get out of there and home again. Then I heard her say "she should go on a crash diet or something" - something clicked, and I stood outside her cubicle and banged on the door...what proceeded was a scene that involved me telling her that I was on a diet, I had lost 1.5 stone - and yeah I had put on a lot of weight..but SO WHAT...and I finished with an old Churchill saying (slightly tweaked) I MAY BE FAT NOW, BUT IM LOSING MY WEIGHT, HOWEVER YOU WILL ALWAYS BE UGLY - INSIDE AND OUT! That felt good!!

Bout to start again on SW - so here we go again!

I have had a very similar experience. I had lost 1.5 stone on SW and went to see some friends at a pub. There were a few people that were out, that I hadn't seen for a long time. we we all sitting around the table and a rather bit**y girl that I know from old school days came over, and remarked how 'well' I looked - that really boosted me - until I went into the ladies - and true to form she was in the cubicle saying how disgusting I looked - and had her friend seen my stomach. To be quite honest I was crushed - and began to panic about how I was going to get out of there and home again. Then I heard her say "she should go on a crash diet or something" - something clicked, and I stood outside her cubicle and banged on the door...what proceeded was a scene that involved me telling her that I was on a diet, I had lost 1.5 stone - and yeah I had put on a lot of weight..but SO WHAT...and I finished with an old Churchill saying (slightly tweaked) I MAY BE FAT NOW, BUT IM LOSING MY WEIGHT, HOWEVER YOU WILL ALWAYS BE UGLY - INSIDE AND OUT! That felt good!!

Bout to start again on SW - so here we go again!

Well Done and Good Luck xx

Back