An irritating comment...

A comment like that would have irritated and upset me too. I keep getting it off my Mum, that I will never lose weight eating all those carbs!

I'm taking the attitude that I'll just have to prove her wrong!

Good luck
:eek:

Wow, I didn't expect that response!!! Thanks guys, you've said some great and supportive things there!! I'm now realising that I should get some positives out of this and look forward with excitement that I AM going to keep losing more and more weight and get lots of positive comments from people and I don't mean to sound revengeful but I WILL make a point of going out with her again and eating TONS next to her and watch her face drop!!!!XXX

It's the people whom you care about who's opinions should matter - take no notice, she doesn't really know what she is talking about. 1000's of people have proved SW works.... xx

I am so glad that you are staying so positive. You know SW works, and that is most important. Show off to her as you go along.
There will always be someone who comes up with comments like that. I had one who said there was no way I could lose eating the way I do, while she stuck to her lettuce leaves and carrot sticks! I have not seen her for a while, but I took delight in e-mailing her telling her I have reached target. No response, so she either doesn't believe me or is green with envy!

I think it's very easy for people who have never been overweight or very overweight to be insensitive. I think in a crazy way she thought she was helping. Doesn't excuse her rudeness but she may not have realised how cruel those comments were. What is important is that you KNOW you are losing weight and what you are doing IS working.

Now you can be prepared for the next time some small minded person says anything about 'can't eat that' and the dreaded 8 letter word...EXERCISE ................

LAUGH.......and then say,
"You'd think that wouldn't you, but I've lost X stone XX lbs eating things just like this, and I haven't done the least bit of exercise. Jealous yet?.....?"

Ooooo what a horrible thing for that woman to have said!

You've made a hell of a difference by your hard work so you deserve a HUGE pat on the back xx

As you all know, I spend a lot of time defending SW. And I get this a lot as well, and I get people telling my why I should be doing a different diet and why it works for them. Well that's just dandy, but this one works for me for two simple reasons, it allows you to EAT whilst you are retraining your brain about healthy choices and portion control, and because I don't have to spend a fortune on branded food/soup/shakes etc.

You've done brilliantly hun, don't let anyone take that away from you. Society at large has been bombarded with misinformation so they don't have a clue anymore. Slimming World isn't the only diet in my opinion, but it's the only one for me.

You keep going, and keep going strong xxx

I CAN NOT TELL YOU HOW MANY TIMES I GOT COMMENTS LIKE THAT.
Even as a kid, I got rude comments about my looks, food choices (that probably have been unwise, but what kid reaches for veg's when chocolate's there?). From teachers to complete strangers..and not in private to my parents, right to my face. As a seven years old being told i'm too fat in front of the whole class, with kids that were already cruel to me.. THAT was horrible.

Last year, my partner, his mother (in her 70's, a petite size 12?) and I were sitting outside a pub I felt cold and shivered a bit, when her son (my partner) came to give me a hug, she said: oh don't worry plenty of flesh to keep her warm while tapping on my upper arms (which I hate)!!
He grinned, hugged me while saying : lovely, lovely, lovely!

When I was 16, a neighbour visiting us repeatedly told me: You will never, ever lose weight. That's it, you will never will.
I didn't really care or believe her, because she had some mental issues.. but my point is.. some people have this disgusting urge to put others down..even if they didn't mean it maliciously, ..even if its done subconsciously, it is still hurtful.

Now, I just avoid any conversation about food and diets..having said that, i remember once hiking with my partner's family, they are all quite skinny and petite, when we reached the top of a mountain we sat on some big rocks and they started talking about their level of fitness and their weight and that they need to lose weight..now in that situation, and i am the fattest there, even fatter than my partner..stranded on the top of a mountain..where do i go? ugh.. i mentally escaped.

Sorry went on and on.. I just want to say that it happens to others a lot, and you should too rightly be a bit upset about it.. just try not to let it put you down anymore.

I think that a lot of people will knock something they either have no knowledge of or don't understand what they do know. I scoffed at how much you can eat on this plan. But it DOES work-my friends who have lost 3 and 4 stone respectively are living proof of that. So is everyone in this area of the forum.
It's easy to say don't let people like that get to you but in truth, comments like that bloody hurt. But your revenge will be so sweet-and you'll be healthy to boot.

Remember (and I'm cleaning this up a bit) opinions are like a certain part of the anatomy-everybody has one, and everybody thinks that everyone elses' stinks.

in hindsight it would be great to go back at breakfast time and sit next to the same woman with a huge full english free breakfast while she nibbles on crusty tasteless cereal flakes, going 'mmm... and the weight just keeps falling off!" lol

years ago it was thought you had to give up carbs, but these days we know better! I think EE is the greatest! :D

There are those people who think if you are on a diet and you eat anything you are never going to loose weight, be them young or older. Those people know nothing, and aren't important enough to listen to let alone be upset by them, you are. Listen to yourself, do what you know is right and sod the rest. :D

Hi all, I wanted to share something with you that somebody said to me yesterday that really irritated me!! I went out with a group of ladies for a meal before seeing a show. It was an italian restaurant and I was happily tucking into linguine pasta with a (very)light tomato sauce, cherry tomatoes and king prawns! A very sensible (and for me yummy) option I thought for an Extra Easy day!! I got talking to the lady (slim and in her 60s)next to me about food and I mentioned I was on Slimming World and had basically lost a stone! I said I wanted to lose another 4 stone but that I was enjoying SW because I could eat lots of the right things (explaining about food optimising etc) and she half laughingly said that I would never do that if I carried on eating like I was (referring to the pasta dish!!) She said that I'd have to exercise like mad to get that much weight off!! I know it sounds ridiculous but I felt really irritated and deflated by the comment! Although I've already proved that it's working for me (but admittedly have a long way to go yet) I still felt hurt by it and started feeling frustrated and negative!! I was annoyed with myself for letting other peoples' comments affect me! Perhaps I should be more thick skinned! Does anyone else take things like that to heart?!X

I take things to heart, i was stood about 2 weeks ago up the road from where i work having a cigerette with a colleague and the pavement is wide enough for 2 people and were were stodd side by side but only taking up half of the pavement as we were both stood on the same side of the pavement, a woman was walking up the road shouting excuse me so my colleague turned and said could we help and she said that she needed to get past so we showed her that there was plenty of room for her to get past but she said she didnt want to walk on that bit of the pavement as i might eat her because im so fat and i should shut my mouth before food goes in!! i couldn't believe it! my colleague said to her that it wasnt very nie and she said i wasnt very nice to look at and she was surprised they did clothes to fit a "whale like her" and that god bless me because i was gonna need it looking the way i do!

so honestly hun ignore her! people get rude in ther old age!

my nana asked me if i was pregnant and when i said no she said "well you look very fat today" lol so people get funny in there senile years!

she said she didnt want to walk on that bit of the pavement as i might eat her because im so fat and i should shut my mouth before food goes in!! i couldn't believe it! my colleague said to her that it wasnt very nie and she said i wasnt very nice to look at and she was surprised they did clothes to fit a "whale like her" and that god bless me because i was gonna need it looking the way i do!

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT SOMEONE WOULD ACTUALLY BE THIS RUDE! YOU'D THINK BEING A WOMAN WOULD'VE MADE HER HAVE MORE UNDERSTANDING/SYMPATHY REGARDING BODY IMAGE/PREGNANCY&MENOPAUSE WEIGHT GAINS, DIETS AND WEIGHT ISSUES! BUT NO!
I would've told her where to go and threw in a couple of insults too!

my nana asked me if i was pregnant and when i said no she said "well you look very fat today" lol so people get funny in there senile years!

No offence, but a lot of VERY old people think that beside their bus pass, they also have a rude/cruel pass of passing such comments..
ugh..

I've got my bus pass! But I don't think it gives me any right to say what I please. I don't think it is necessarily a question of age - people who are nasty when they are old were probably not all that nice when they were younger.

Back