An irritating comment...

Wow, Kissme, I am shocked that she said that to you! She must have huuuuge mental health problems!! Wow, makes what this lady said to me seem practically polite!! LOL!! Thanks all again for the supportive (and very wise) comments!!X

I've got my bus pass! But I don't think it gives me any right to say what I please. I don't think it is necessarily a question of age - people who are nasty when they are old were probably not all that nice when they were younger.

Well said! Quite frankly I have found with rude people, in my experience most of them have been young.

I just thought of something else, does anyone get one of those adjectives that I hate regularly applied to them like "bubbly"!I hate that and I also hate being told "you have such a pretty face"!Last year I got really upset because an older lady who came into work told me I looked like one of the ladies in a painting!I forget the artist but she's known for painting big women!:mad:

Beryl Cook!That's the name of the artist, google her, i don't think that being told i look like one of her paintings is a compliment!

What a horrible woman. I hope she isn't a friend, as if she is, I would ditch her now, you don't need friends like that.

Slimming world works and we are all proof of that. If people want to starve themselves to maintain a healthy weight then off they go, but we all know you do not have to do that. Slimming World teaches you to eat healthily but also satisfy your hunger. That woman knows nothing.

its a bit different but feels oddly the same, I keep having bad dreams about my weight, about people commenting on it, its weird.

the other night, in my dream I was having a laugh with someone (heaven knows who!) and instead of laughing with me they kept looking at me saying 'urgh! you're really over weight!'

how weird is that? who needs enemeis with dreams like that!

I love how this thread has got us all sharing, I certainly dont feel alone anymore when I remember (real life) insults, like being called 'quite pretty considering' they may as well complete it by saying 'for a fat bird!' and people asking when 'it was due' grrr.

You know, it just goes to show how so many people's concept of dieting means starving yourself, or if not starvation, certainly deprivation.
I remember when I started SW, I had no idea about the vast quantities of food I'd be able to eat and still lose weight. Most newbies are the same - look at the posts we get on here. "Can this be right?", "Am I eating too much?" etc.
The results speak for themselves. I eat more now than I ever have on any other diet!

It's understandable that someone of an older generation who hasn't ever dieted (or if she has, has cut back or done something drastic) wouldn't understand modern principles of health and nutrition that SW is based on. So in a way, I don't blame her for her disbelief. However, that's no excuse for blatant RUDENESS!!

Well done on your loss so far, and long may it continue :D

She sounds jealous to me - they way i look at it - every1 following sw is making life changing decision on the way they look at food and exercise, we make healthy choices, learn about what food are good and what food to have in moderation, you are never told you can have something, When i joined i never thought id be 3st 7lbs lighter. It will only make you more determined to keep going - i had chinese at weekend (syned of course) and still lost - we are not starving ourselfs and i think people dont realise this - shame really - sorry for the rant

I think the thing is, people just don't understand how hard it is to lose weight if they haven't had to do so in the past.

Eat healthy and exercise is what my boyfriend says but he's never had a weight issue so doesn't realise that yes, it is in your own hands and yes, you do just have to get on with eating less/more healthy and exercise but life throws allsorts at us day to day and this isn't always as easy as it seems.

What an incredibly insensitive thing to say. Now I agree that exercise is important, however as we all know, sw doesn't depend on it for loses and you will have the last laugh when it comes off honey! xx

I think the thing is, people just don't understand how hard it is to lose weight if they haven't had to do so in the past.

Eat healthy and exercise is what my boyfriend says but he's never had a weight issue so doesn't realise that yes, it is in your own hands and yes, you do just have to get on with eating less/more healthy and exercise but life throws allsorts at us day to day and this isn't always as easy as it seems.

This is exactly like my partner's attitude. He sometimes hints that I shouldn't have pasta for supper, just because he read somewhere about the carbs curfew!
And when I buy a freddo or make myself an options hot drink he gives me looks like oh diet's out of the window kind of look.. he insists I should ditch all sweets since he hasn't got a sweet tooth and re educate my taste buds to savoury food.
I think treats within your syns and sensibility are alright, especially if you're careful with teeth brushing/flossing which he also uses as another reason for why i shouldn't eat chocolate !!

Sorry gone off topic a bit..

It's OK to go off topic a bit BuzzyBee! We're still on the subject of people making irritating comments!! Another one that REALLY got my goat is when I was in work and there were chocolates at the desk (nurses station) and for the 11 weeks I've been on the plan I have hardly touched one (we receive them thick and fast from relatives so there is an endless supply) so I've been really proud of myself as this used to be one of my downfalls!! So one day I fancied one (I had plenty of syns in the bank and knew to count it as 2.5 syns) and some smart Alec piped up "Not on your 'diet' anymore then?!" Ooh that really annoyed me! I just answered that I'm still 100% doing the SW plan and the beauty of it is that we can have a controlled amount of treats and I lost 4.5lb this week so there!!X

Omg! you go funcurls!! my colleague can be a little like that. theres just 2 of us on my reception and she is a 58 yr old slim veggie, she eats hardly anything but is well known for the liking of red wine! i mean she lives the life i should be! she only eats about 1500 cal per day but then she has a bottle of wine! she wonder why she wants to lose stone but cant understand why she isn't iv tried to explain.

But anyway the other day i saw creme eggs!! yaya i love easter! and i bought one as a treat well within my syns may i add and she said "oh sarah lou dont tell me you have gone off plan already" one bloody creme egg!! but screw her i lost 3.5lb this week and she put on 2 lol :D

kissme and funcurls, you rock!!

Well done kissme!! gold.emerald YOU rock!! Look how much you've lost! That's amazing!!! Especially now I realise it's Kilos not pounds!! Well done you!! Is that all SW?X

Well done kissme!! gold.emerald YOU rock!! Look how much you've lost! That's amazing!!! Especially now I realise it's Kilos not pounds!! Well done you!! Is that all SW?X

ohh, thanks, sweetie!!! :)
whoops, no, i'm not on SW--i hope i don't have to be on that, to post here :eek: ..not really on anything- no diet, just trying not to go over 1800 kcal a day......you know, I am still surprised though, how much I (have to) eat, i think i eat more than I did before i started loosing- for example, when i eat pasta, that truly is a huuuge portion...lol...and have mainly lost through walking on my friend- the threadmill-.seems to have worked so far...lol

thanks again and keep going, you're doing so well funcurls! xxx :)

I bet she is really jealous, she is probably starving herself silly and working out like mad whilst you are enjoying delicious and sensible meals and she doesn't want it to be easy for you. I have been on diets before where i have practically starved myself and lost weight slowly. It is hard to take when someone tells you it could have been so much easier on slimming world! I almost didn't believe it until i tried it and lost 6lb in the first week! Just be comfortable in the knowledge that it is working for you and if others don't like it then tough!

Back