Any body doing 50/50 between different VLCD's?

lauryn

Hi all :)

I was just wondering if anyone is (or anyone knows if it's ok to do so) doing multiple VLCD's at the same time? And if its working out ok?

Reason I ask is because I'm currently on Exante Total Solutions - eating the 3 meal packs a day (shake, soup & bar). I'm on day 5 and am doing really well, had lost 7.5lbs as of this morning, but I'm still feeling quite hungry and missing food. Ketosis doesn't seem to have kicked in yet :confused:

I was thinking of trying out Slim & Save meals. Just 1 or 2 a day, with 1/2 Exante soup or shake.

I'd still be only having 600 cals (or less as S&S seem to be less cals than Ex) but using 2 different brands.

I was thinking of taking a multivitamin along side my packs too as unsure if I'd be getting 100% of my RDA by mixing the two.

What do you think? Any help appreciated :D

Hi, I asked the same question over on the Exante forum! Seems like it's not advised because you may not get your full quota of vits and mins. (Although also seems like people do do it and take a vit pill to cover it). I think I'm going to order a few samples from s&s. Let me know what you decide!
Lx

It's really not advisable. The only safe way to do a VLCD is to do one and only one. If you mox them up you're not going to be getting the nutrients you need. These diets are hard enough without risking your health

Either stick with Exante or change to S and S. I'd recommend sticking with Exante til ketosis kicks in and see how you feel

If you really want to eat do WS a couple of days a week instead of TS

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with mixing as long as you do it with your eyes open. SnS guarantees to have the full vits/minerals if you have 4 packs a day - if you do 3 then it recommends you take a multivitimin. If you mix your current plan and SnS with a multivitamin there'll be no lack of nutrition!

I currently mix lighter life and SnS. I have 4 packs a day - normally 2 or 3 from SnS. I prefer the SnS meals (which are lovely!) and bars but I like the lighter life shakes. There are also a number of other people who mix. It stops you getting bored with the packs and anything which keeps you motivated on a diet like this is a good thing if you ask me! I've been doing the diet for 25 weeks so far and this approach has allowed me to continue enjoying my packs.

Why not order a sample from SnS for 99p per pack and try substituing a couple? Then you can see what you think without it costing much.

I think Exante is far superior to S&S certainly in terms of flavour. And I agree that it is probably better and safer to stick to one type of VLCD at a time. I doubt the occasional substitution would do any harm! Anything that makes a VLCD more do-able for the dieter has to be a good thing.

Surely by taking a multi vitamin each day that covers me making sure I'm getting my RDA of all vits & mins needed?

I don't think there is a right or wrong in this situation - simply what suits each individual.

I failed at exante last time and really don't want to again :( I'm already very bored of the soups and shakes, hate the bars and I've gone off the BL & Tesco bars that I once did like! I think it's time for a shake up!

I've ordered some samples from S&S, will try having 2 Exante & 1 S&S a day (a meal pack for dinner) and see how I go.

Thanks for all your input and advice x

In that case swap to s and s and do it properly and stop Exante

I cannot believe the number of people on here just now who think it's totally ok just to do whatever random mix of Vlcds they fancy

There is a right or wrong the right way is to do the VLCD you're on properly it's not a case of what suits the individual. You either do the VLCD properly or if disregard it and make up your own diet which by no means makes it right. If you were doing WW you wouldnt start just classing pasta as free because SW do and it suits you better

By having 2 Exante packs and 1 sns you're under the calories you should be straight away

Last edited:
Just to add, it's not about taking a vitamin pill to ensure your vits and mins. A reputable VLCD solution with also have the right balance of lipids and proteins etc

It's so important that you get your full quota of protein do it protects your lean muscle mass. Failure to do do will Result in your body going into starvation mode and burning muscle which is absolutely what you dont want to happen. If that happens your metabolism slows which slows your weight loss and also makes maintenance if your weight loss far far more Difficult. That's just one example purely from an achieving your goals position without the physiological issues.

Wow calm down!! Anyone would think I've just asked if it's ok to rob a bank!

Aren't all VLCD's high in protein anyway? Surely I'd be getting my RDA of protein too.

I'll give it a try, if it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out.

Nothing can be as bad as my old eating habits at the end of the day, and this is only for a short space of time.

Dear Lauryn,

I hope you'll think again. I think the posters are not trying to tell you what to do but are just looking out for your health.

The risk of mixing and matching is that either you miss some important minerals and vitamins. The multi vits you buy at the chemists are formulated to complement a food diet, not substitute. The reason this is so important is that some, (for example potassium) are essential to stop you from dying form heart arrhythmia or some other cause.

You can also get elctrolyte imbalances. Again this puts your life at risk. This is a risk that's just not worth taking, when you are dieting to get to a healthy weight.

If the calorie/protein/lipid mix isnt right can also screw up your metabolism by making your body feel it is in starvation mode. That would mean that post the diet, you will forever have a reduced capability to process calories - ie you will have to eat smaller meals to stay at goal. Alizonne checks BMR (basal metabolic rates) before and after the diet. Many women have very low BMRs when the start because they've done so much yo-yo and starvation dieting. So their tailored diet at goal can be 1,200 or 1,100 calories only. You can increase it through exercise, I believe.

So maybe you can decide which one has flavours you can accept for the period you'll be on the diet, and stick with that vlcd, once your other sachets/bars are finished, for the rest of your diet.

Ali

As a veteran of VLCDs I know for certain you'll be taking risks I personally wouldn't be prepared to put myself through.....and yes, I'd rather continue being 6-7 stone overweight than to take the risks you are proposing.

You're an adult with free will and I hope you'll do further research before you go ahead.

We all know how dreadful being grossly over weight is and how desperate it can make us feel. We certainly have nothing to gain by urging you to follow one plan and have taken the time to write long, considered posts to share the knowledge we have that clearly you lack. Again, we gain nothing personally by taking up our time doing so.

Your choice at the end of the day but please do further research if you value your health.

You'll be Yummy Mummy soon ...keep posting how it goes.

Ali

lauryn said:
I certainly wouldn't rather be 6-7 stone over weight!

Thanks for all your input :)

Me nether which is why I'm losing it sensible as my doctor recommended by doing a total solution VLCD to protect myself and not taking risks.

Whilst I don't necessarily disagree with some of the information on various posts recently it does seem to be given quite agressively and not always with explanation - which could seem quite bullying to the recipients. Could I suggest that instead of saying 'don't do this - believe me I know' people could explain why it's not a good idea in a helful manner and say what they would do? There does seem to have been quite a bullying tone over e last few days and it's not one I normally associate with minimins.

Don't mean to upset anyone - and I am certainly not interested in starting a flame war. I know people are only saying these things because there are good reasons and they feel passionately. However, e tone would certainly put me off from listening. Please just explain exactly what your concerns are and leave the original poster to make their mind up.

There have been a number of posts explaining how tablets don't get absorbed and don't contain the protein and lipids the body requires so the body can't function properly and burns muscle and enters into the starvation mode that common folk perceive as being a problem with even conventional medically approved VLCDs.

I know that at 6-7 stone over weight the content of my diet was good and balance apart from the bingeing which is what made me fat.

I'm leaving the subject now but it's hard to hear people talking risks with their health.

weasey said:
Whilst I don't necessarily disagree with some of the information on various posts recently it does seem to be given quite agressively and not always with explanation - which could seem quite bullying to the recipients. Could I suggest that instead of saying 'don't do this - believe me I know' people could explain why it's not a good idea in a helful manner and say what they would do? There does seem to have been quite a bullying tone over e last few days and it's not one I normally associate with minimins.

Don't mean to upset anyone - and I am certainly not interested in starting a flame war. I know people are only saying these things because there are good reasons and they feel passionately. However, e tone would certainly put me off from listening. Please just explain exactly what your concerns are and leave the original poster to make their mind up.

Unfortunately by the time most people post to ask the question they've usually already made up their mind and want confirmation what they're doing is ok. When it's not forthcoming any advice is by and large ignored because the decision s already made :(

Hopefully it might deter someone else from considering it though :)

Last edited:
Back