Any Overweight Pregnant Gals?

HappyNoodles

Gold Member
Hi there :)
I'm 19 weeks pregnant yaay!
I'm about 18stone (too scared to look!) size 18/20 and I'm getting concerned about my weight regarding pregnancy.
I've been healthier than ever since becoming preg with swimming, walking and healthy eating so hopefully I'm giving the baby all it needs!

I just feel so alone being big and pregnant though, is there anyone there who can relate??

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I'm not pregnant now but I spent 9 months of last year pregnant and I was considered high risk due to my weight (I was 15 stone 7 when I got pregnant). I felt I had no problems or concerns with being overweight and pregnant. My advice would just be to not let any extra checks (if your hospital gives you more due to your weight) get to you, and don't let them make you believe you have to opt for something eg. an elected c-section, if you don't want it.

Just eat as healthy as you can, the exercise all sounds good and you're doing what you can. If you gain weight then it's natural, and if you don't then you're probably losing weight and counteracting the baby gain (I managed this slightly). Also keep a check on your blood pressure (you can get a decent Omron monitor from Amazon for about £15) and just relax and enjoy your pregnancy :)

Me!

I was 14st 7 when I became pregnant, and now at 13 weeks I'm 14st 11. I'm trying to keep the weight gain to a safe minimum and will speak t midwife tomorrow about slimming world.

I was told by my doctor they might give me some grief about my weight, but I'm prepared for that when I go. Will follow the recommendations but not taking it as a personal slight.

A gril I worked with was about 28 stone when she fell pregnant and she had a complicated pregnancy with problems walking, really bad swelling etc. The baby hwoever was fine if a little small just under 6lbs.

You sound as if you are doing all the right things so dont worry just keep going with the healthy eating and gentle exercise :D

Hi all not pregnant yet, however I am over weight, but really health, I play badminton twice a week and walk to work, so I have no heart problems. I try to eat freshly prepared foods.
I hope the doctors and mid-wifes will not be to rough on me when I get pregnant I can not image dieting while pregnant, quite looking forward to the cravings.
Julie

Cybele, obviously different areas have different high risk thresholds (if at all) and different approaches to overweight pregnancies. Whilst I got fed up with the additional, waste of time, appointments that I was made to have, no one had a go at me over my weight. I did see a dietician who couldn't pick holes in my diet and I never bothered to see them again as it was a waste of my time and theirs. I didn't diet during pregnancy, I just stuck to a reasonably healthy diet and actually got away with a few extra treats than usual and kept my gain to a minimum, all of which went within a fortnight of the birth (and right before christmas too!).

I have read some bad stories about people getting hassled badly over their weight when pregnant but I said to myself, if they're going to stress you when you're pregnant just point that out to them, as that's the worst thing they can do! At the end of the day once you're pregnant they need to treat you with respect, care and attention, and simply keep a closer eye on you (mainly your blood pressure and any additional weight gain). Stressing you out over suggestions, weight loss etc. should not be on their agenda. I did eventually tell my midwife that I was getting stressed over the hospital appointments, mainly because my BP always went up when I went to see the registrar (and I'd wasted 3 hours in hospital for a GTT test which I was told I didn't need to have originally), and I told the midwife if I needed extra BP checks then I wanted to go to her for them. The midwives are there to help, and if they don't/can't, speak to the supervisor of midwives who is there for the patients.

But hopefully you and anyone else in that position will just have a happy and enjoyable pregnancy :)

I can image BP is a problem I recently had a nurse appointment, (just a check up) she took my weight height told me a was over weight and the took my BP and was shock it was high, I nearly bashed her of course most women are sensitive about there weight and most of us know we are over weight, but to be told it made me mad...
Still waiting to get pregnant though.
Cybele

Hiya, I am quite early in my pregnancy (not sure exactly how far until my scan on 26th) and was really nervous going to meet the midwife. I thought she was going to be really condescending like 'How dare you get pregnant when you're so big! ha, but she was lovely, handled the issue really sensitively and offered me extra support if I wanted it xx

Hey!

i've been a member on this site for about a year, it really helped me last year lose 3 stone on slimming world. when i fell pregenant in August i weighed 13 stone (so was still only just obese) but today at 26+5 I weigh 13stone 2lbs :) so i'm pleased.

i'm back here because i want to continue to follow sworld again, lose the lard but ensure i eat well for a healthy and happy baby! x

Hiya, I am quite early in my pregnancy (not sure exactly how far until my scan on 26th) and was really nervous going to meet the midwife. I thought she was going to be really condescending like 'How dare you get pregnant when you're so big! ha, but she was lovely, handled the issue really sensitively and offered me extra support if I wanted it xx

Congrats on getting pregnant, glad your mid wife is a sensitive one lol
hope all goes well
Cybele

Huni. Im pregnant and over weight and you know what, I dont care (to a point). I dont know how far gone I am as I only found out yesterday but Im the healthiest iv ever been. Im currently doing slimming world and will continue to do so through out my pregnancy. and hopefully will minimise any gains.

Hi!

I was abot 14 stone when I fell pg. Midwife didnt make a big thing of it, just said to watch what I was eating and make sure baby was getting lots of good stuff. Regardless of that, I still put on 2 stone which I still need to shift.

I had a textbook pregnancy so being overweight doesn't need to mean problems. I had an awful labour and emerg section but I think that would've happened regardless of my weight.

Good luck with your pregnancy and enjoy every minute of it. I really miss my baby bump. I always knew where it was and what it was doing and it didn't speak back!

Back