Any quilters or sewers......

Ooooh a sewing and textiles thread :) I used to love to sew and print on fabrics but it has taken rather a back seat in my life lately but today I made the first garment I've made for a couple of years, a litlle top made from a Laura Ashley print I got in a charity shop. Previously I've been called upon to make costumes from games for my son, one memoriable halloween he had a last minute desire, I had to make a hoody and paint and print on it, we travelled to the venue with the heater on full blast to try to get it dry in time. I'm also into papier mache and mask making but again haven't felt inspired for some years now.

Ooooh a sewing and textiles thread :) I used to love to sew and print on fabrics but it has taken rather a back seat in my life lately but today I made the first garment I've made for a couple of years, a litlle top made from a Laura Ashley print I got in a charity shop. Previously I've been called upon to make costumes from games for my son, one memoriable halloween he had a last minute desire, I had to make a hoody and paint and print on it, we travelled to the venue with the heater on full blast to try to get it dry in time. I'm also into papier mache and mask making but again haven't felt inspired for some years now.

That was really funny Micci.. I can just imagine the tension of trying to get the hoody dry in time!
Still haven't even started on my nightdress or finished off the cable vest but decided to buy my little grtgrandD a doll and knit a proper babies layette for it... unfortunately once again didn't get it finished in time and I ended up going over to Eire to visit and bought a lovely big doll for her which she was highly delighted with... amazing what these dolls do these days... this one cries and then you have to find out what it needs and after trying to give the bottle then a hug it burped and then laughed!

I have my sewing machine on hand as I have so many things that need doing like taking up trousers which I have to do at both the top and the bottom as I am so short and don't have any waist to speak of..

It would be nice to keep this thread running as much as possible with at least weekly updates y'all!

Mmmmmm, it would be good to keep going here. more inspiration all round. Once out of the habit it is too easy to let it go. I'm enjoying wearing my new top and looking around at my fabric stash.

Yes dolls these days don't leave much to the imagination do they? My daughter had one that could be fed, then you'd do something with its arm and the special food would come out of its bum and the deoighted mum could change its nappy. A proper knitted outfit for it when you do it would still be nice.

Right now I'm looking to collect different clown fabrics to make my grown up daughter a quilt for her new home. I've not found any in charity shops yet so will have to take a trip to a localish market where there are loads of fabric shops, the inspiration came from a vintage pillowcase I got on ebay for her. She is clown obsessed! She was doing a circus course a couple of years back and at a moment's notice made her a trad stripey clown costume in a peach and cream candy stripe with a frilly neckline and wrists. I was rather proud of it.

I'm new to sewing! my keen-ness out weighs my talent though haha

Got a sewing machine last weekend and this weekend I made some cushion covers and a pinny!!

Go me! Haha x

Oh yeah Heartshaped anything, go you indeed! I've knocked up some cushion covers too.

It's a great way to reduce the mounds of fabric that need sewing and as I put the covers on top of the old ones it really does help it seem as though I have done some de-cluttering. I have vague plans to make some bags to sell for the local cat and dog rescue and cheap vetinary service. Trouble is I'm very good at accumulating things to sell but am pretty bad at actual selling.

Does anyone here sell their finished products?

Oh yeah Heartshaped anything, go you indeed! I've knocked up some cushion covers too.

It's a great way to reduce the mounds of fabric that need sewing and as I put the covers on top of the old ones it really does help it seem as though I have done some de-cluttering. I have vague plans to make some bags to sell for the local cat and dog rescue and cheap vetinary service. Trouble is I'm very good at accumulating things to sell but am pretty bad at actual selling.

Does anyone here sell their finished products?

I did post this on page 1 of this thread so excuse the repetition .. My first start of making dolls was when I was unemployed and really desperate for some extra cash so I borrowed a very old sewing machine, bought very cheap bits and pieces from charity shops and made dolls that had pantaloons, petticoats and dresses that could be removed, plus either knitted or crochet coats and hats for them. When I had about 20 done I put them in a shopping trolley and went round the doors to sell them for £5 each. At the very first door the lady invited me in and after carefully looking at each one of them decided to buy 6.
I soon cleared more and when I was on the last two a man asked me in and he and his wife were so taken by them so he asked me if I could make another 10 and give him a small discount for the lot. I made sure I got them done and the next day being a Saturday, when I was in the city I saw him and his wife selling them for twice the price!

doll.jpg This was the sort of thing.

They look lovely Emmeline, how brave to go round from door to door. What a cheek of that man though!

They look lovely Emmeline, how brave to go round from door to door. What a cheek of that man though!

Thanks Micci.. they did take a lot of hard work! I was just pleased to be getting the extra money at the time and after all it was up to him what he did with them once he'd bought them.. I was quite surprised that people would pay a tenner for them tbh.

Back