Anybody used Bio Oil?

Think I may look for some when I am next shopping :) Thanks xxx

I've been using Bio oil for over 10yrs and it is brilliant and you do notice that with a good intake of your daily water allowance you will notice how good your skin feels fresh and looks hydrated and great for those suffer from eczema aswell as age spots and stretch marks (swear by it)

I heard really good things about this but used it after my hysterectomy and found I was allergic to it - really made my stomach itchy. Must be something in it that doesn't agree with me. Just took me a while to realise that it must be this product.

michelle185 said:
Ive used it and it didnt work, but perhaps I didnt give it enough time?!!

How long were you using it for, oh and did you all also know that your Doctor can prescribe it to you

It really does work and you might even be able to get it on prescription if you have a nice understanding Dr

I used bio oil for a long time for stretch marks and to be honest saw no difference at all. A dermatologist told me that stretch marks, etc. are signs of damage done deep below the skin surface and nothing we rub-in onto that surface can affect 'what lies beneath'.

However some say bio oil gives fantastic results. I think it may help surface scarring etc but I doubt it can penetrate the skin to reach that deeper tissue. My stretch marks, over time, faded to a pale pale silver, which happens naturally.

Bio oil doesn't make stretch marks go away all it does is even tone it so they aren't as visible. I've been using Bio oil for a number of years for facial blemishes and stretch marks and for me it has worked

I used bio oil for a long time for stretch marks and to be honest saw no difference at all. A dermatologist told me that stretch marks, etc. are signs of damage done deep below the skin surface and nothing we rub-in onto that surface can affect 'what lies beneath'.

However some say bio oil gives fantastic results. I think it may help surface scarring etc but I doubt it can penetrate the skin to reach that deeper tissue. My stretch marks, over time, faded to a pale pale silver, which happens naturally.

I agree. I have been researching stretch marks and 'treatments' for stretch marks for over 3 years and to put it blunt no creams or oils will remove stretch marks, in fact, there is nothing out there that will remove stretch marks (there is no cure) other than literally cutting away the skin (for example, a tummy tuck). Stretch marks are in the dermis (lower layer of skin) and creams/oils are applied to the epidermis (out layer of skin) and these creams just aren't able to penetrate deep enough to even touch stretch marks so that's the problem.

Some creams might make the stretch marked/stretched skin look better by changing the appearance of the epidermis though, as another poster mentioned.

Unrefined shea butter is also good to use on stretched skin or while you're losing weight.

Retin A is good at fading new stretch marks quicker (red/purple). Although Retin A can cause redness and skin peeling, so it's not everyones choice. Also you need your doctor to prescribe it for you if you're in the UK, because I am unsure whether you can buy it online in the UK. I bought some from abroad so didn't need a prescription and it was a lot cheaper too.

Last edited:
Bio oil hasn't worked for me.

I used it daily whilst pregnant and still ended up with my whole belly covered in them :( I believe stretch marks are more down to your genes rather than what cream you use. I've tried palmers cocoa butter, bio oil, an avent cream, rescue oil and my stretch marks are still horrific 4 months after giving birth. Bye bye bikini!

Bio oil didn't work for me with stopping stretch marks,but it could have prevented them being so noticeable as mine arnt as bad as some peoples.someone once said to me if ur mum has them u are more than likely to get them,as gok wan says 'ur not a woman unless u hav stretch marks lol'ive got used to mine now and they don't bother me anymore,my body could always be worse xx

I know this is a thread from quite a while ago but just thought I'd share this. I had/have quite severe stretchmarks on my stomoach from rapidly gaining weight about 18 months ago. They have faded somewhat over time so that they are no longer bright red. Bio Oil really didn't seem to do anything for them. However, ROC Anti-Stretchmark cream has worked wonders! I got it for £1.99 reduced in Bodycare and haven't dared check how expensive it should be. My stretchmarks have faded dramatically to a very light pink/flesh tone and the skin seems to have smoothed out a lot so the overall apperance is much nicer. Love it!

I know this is a thread from quite a while ago but just thought I'd share this. I had/have quite severe stretchmarks on my stomoach from rapidly gaining weight about 18 months ago. They have faded somewhat over time so that they are no longer bright red. Bio Oil really didn't seem to do anything for them. However, ROC Anti-Stretchmark cream has worked wonders! I got it for £1.99 reduced in Bodycare and haven't dared check how expensive it should be. My stretchmarks have faded dramatically to a very light pink/flesh tone and the skin seems to have smoothed out a lot so the overall apperance is much nicer. Love it!

Thank u for sharing, i am in the process of searching for some as I type lol praying it works for me too, I'm ashamed of my belly!

Bio oil is great for stretch marks :) it faded mine much quicker than they would have naturally, highly recommend xox

Back