anyone else got a rubbish/indifferent consultant?

Thanks i prob will go again i need to as you can see by my age im 60 not a young girl lol
Also im a diabetic too so need to lose those pounds i wish i was in your group maybe as you say give it time
but i still think the consultant should have introduced me to the other member

I joined SW last August whilst working night shift and tried to talk to my consultant about the fact that I may need to be flexible on attending class, I found her very indifferent to my situation. After a couple of weeks I told her I wouldn't be back and the response I got was "well I have plenty of people who come here every week". I joined online and managed to lose over a stone on my own but without any support I fell off the wagon so to speak and put it back on and more :cry: After trying and failing a number of times I am now back on the plan and fully committed with the help of my OH. I just wish my consultant had been better and I hadn't lost all that time and re gained the weight.

I joined SW last August whilst working night shift and tried to talk to my consultant about the fact that I may need to be flexible on attending class, I found her very indifferent to my situation. After a couple of weeks I told her I wouldn't be back and the response I got was "well I have plenty of people who come here every week". I joined online and managed to lose over a stone on my own but without any support I fell off the wagon so to speak and put it back on and more :cry: After trying and failing a number of times I am now back on the plan and fully committed with the help of my OH. I just wish my consultant had been better and I hadn't lost all that time and re gained the weight.

Another terrible story! Consultants certainly are very different! They should be more closely monitored I think, the group support I find so invaluable, but there again I have a fantastic c! And nightmusk, I am 60 next year so the same age group as yourself. Stories like both of yours make me feel so sad. Anyway, on the positive, as you say now fully commited and back on plan. And nightmusk,hope you go on OK. Please bob on and let us know :)

Also thinking about your shift situation, when you join you should have been asked if you do shift work, as there can be allowances for this. Grrrrrrrrr :(

My SW consultant was like that, just told us to eat mugshots and those pasta mircowave things. She never said well done or anything so I never stayed at the meeting, in the end I decided to try it on my own at home but its not the same. I tried WW last year and the consultant was horrible! I lost 5lbs in the first week and all i got was "that's just water" no "well done" or anything like that! She had a thing against young people as well. I kind of live in the middle of the country and the only one close to me is about a 20 min drive so i may try that if things start to get tough :)

Not really. If your self employed (as I have been many times) then you'd be daft if you didn't have a decent mobile plan. When I had a party plan business I had over 90 girls working with me and I would email them throughout the week and text the ones who weren't online. I'd say the average group can't POSSIBLY have more than 20 members who don't have email so that's £2 a week to send an email or a text to your entire group and very probably a lot less. THAT'S the kind of service that will successfully grow a group and increase a counsellors income.

I'm not a C nor do I have plans to do it but a lot of party plan managers go on to run WW or SW groups as its a very similar business model.

I didn't realise it would be so cheap! You learn summat new every day! :D

I have honestly, NEVER had a good consultant. I've been to every group in our area, and to be honest they are all rubbish. They go around everyone's weight, losses and gains, then usually some upcoming events, selling of the magazine/bars, and that's it.

The best of the worst sometimes used to tell us where we could get mugshots and stuff like that cheap, like if there were any offers on.

NEVER any advice, support etc. I mean, all nice ladies don't get me wrong! I joined online about a month ago and have honestly never been more committed and I've never lost so well.
We must just have had bad luck around here!

Mini mims/tumblr is a million times the support I ever received from a SW consultant.

well after a lot of thought and deliberation over the weekend ive decided to join another group in the next town to me
makes sense really as i work till 11am and theres a group that starts at 11 30 near to where i work...and morning sounds a lot better to me
plus i have an evening job only for an hour but by the time ive done that and gone to the meeting i wont get home till gone 8pm
and really thats far too late for my dinner im gonna be so hungry i prob will eat rubbish lol
also as i said im not paying out £4 95 to someone who coulnt care less

will let you know how i get on after ive phoned the new consulant tomorrow and spoken to her

I have only been there 3 weeks so not an expert but i got a talk when i first started told us about extra easy plan,and not red or green days said there was no point going in to it and just to do extra easy.

No one has mentioned the raffle to me, i assume this is held every week? All she does is go round the room asks everyones losses, wish is great if youve lost but not sure how id be if i gained! She hasnt a clue about me, my life as someone else said why i want to loose weight etc. Its a big class.. so could be that reason. Also when she asked what weight i wanted to be, i told her 12st 7, she never asked why etc.. just not overly interested, her daughter collects the money n she spends a lot of time interacting with her at the meetings.. im still going to go but this week im getting weighed and leaving as not gettin anything from classes! Also not sure what the excercise award thing is about.. hmm she doesnt ask for questions either lol x

I have only been there 3 weeks so not an expert but i got a talk when i first started told us about extra easy plan,and not red or green days said there was no point going in to it and just to do extra easy.

No one has mentioned the raffle to me, i assume this is held every week? All she does is go round the room asks everyones losses, wish is great if youve lost but not sure how id be if i gained! She hasnt a clue about me, my life as someone else said why i want to loose weight etc. Its a big class.. so could be that reason. Also when she asked what weight i wanted to be, i told her 12st 7, she never asked why etc.. just not overly interested, her daughter collects the money n she spends a lot of time interacting with her at the meetings.. im still going to go but this week im getting weighed and leaving as not gettin anything from classes! Also not sure what the excercise award thing is about.. hmm she doesnt ask for questions either lol x

The raffle at mine is usually 50p a strip and whoever wins gets a hamper of the Consultants choice. Usually it's a big basket of fruit or one week she had a great lunchbox and freezer pack set, another a set to make fruit jelly with a mould etc. I usually don't bother though as I've usually already done the shopping and have all my fruit etc.

My C has never explained 'body magic' but just mentioned that others are good with their body magic. From what I can tell any exercise you can do will help but it's not essential. It's not like WW where exercise earns you extra points to indulge.

X

Glad to see it wasn't just my consultant who wasn't a huge help when I attended the meets! My consultant had obvious favourites, and a few of us felt ignored or as if we weren't good enough for her. She was also kind of patronising and would be quite dismissive of quite a big weight loss from someone she wasnt so fond of :/ really dreaded going in the end, so I stopped and now attempting it from home

Loublou6 said:
The raffle at mine is usually 50p a strip and whoever wins gets a hamper of the Consultants choice. Usually it's a big basket of fruit or one week she had a great lunchbox and freezer pack set, another a set to make fruit jelly with a mould etc. I usually don't bother though as I've usually already done the shopping and have all my fruit etc.

My C has never explained 'body magic' but just mentioned that others are good with their body magic. From what I can tell any exercise you can do will help but it's not essential. It's not like WW where exercise earns you extra points to indulge.

X

I've never really worked out what Image Therapy is supposed to be? It just seems to be going round talking about everyone losses/gains. Can anyone enlighten me?

I feel so sorry for all the people who dont have helpful or approachable C's.

Mine's lovely. She texts regularly and she's set up a facebook group for all her members to be in touch through the week, post photos and recipes of things we've cooked and eaten etc, which has been really useful. She always says that after class if her members have learnt something, and had a laugh in the process, then she's done her job.

You always DO get a laugh if you stay to meeting, she's a bit of a nutter (in a lovely way)

mrstaylor said:
I've never really worked out what Image Therapy is supposed to be? It just seems to be going round talking about everyone losses/gains. Can anyone enlighten me?

This is Image Therapy.

It stands for Individual Motivation And Group Experience.

Going round the group is your individual time but also time to listen to, and learn from, the group.

jaylou said:
This is Image Therapy.

It stands for Individual Motivation And Group Experience.

Going round the group is your individual time but also time to listen to, and learn from, the group.

Ohhh! I thought it was about your clothes, hair etc. thanks for that :)

God, how shocking to see so many people who are unhappy with their consultants !!

I joined a slimming world a while ago, she was called Sue and her father in law Ken helped her out by meeting all the new starters and going through everything with them, while he was was a lovely man, he clearly was that used to doing the diet himself that he had forgot what it was like to be someone who had never done it before...

That's why I really struggled with Slinming World, and ended up leaving after 6 weeks. But saying that I did go in on numerous times and say that I didn't understand it, and he said the same thing.

I think the most important part is explaining things from the very first meeting, you only have to search through these forums to see people are coming away not understanding how the diet works. Not everyone can "get" something straight away, some people read more into things than is necessary ... Everyone is different !!

I have found that with groups that have been going for years are more "cliquey" as people know each other for a long time etc, and I've seen plenty of people sat on their own and people don't try and engage in conversation as they are in their groups.... Worst ones are the lifetimers who sit in the same spot every week like they own the place.

Anyway, moan over !! If you are not happy with your consultant, tell them ! Or write to their head office and ask them to forward the letter to the consultants home address. I don't think Head Office would do anything, as the consultants are Self Employed.

Lisa :)

I have found that with groups that have been going for years are more "cliquey" as people know each other for a long time etc, and I've seen plenty of people sat on their own and people don't try and engage in conversation as they are in their groups.... Worst ones are the lifetimers who sit in the same spot every week like they own the place.

I would class myself as a lifetimer, I sit in the same spot every week, I sit with the same group of friends every week.

I started out at SW not knowing a soul, in fact, I didn't know anyone in the area as I has just moved in. I thought exactly the same as you, they are cliquey and god forbid if I sat in their seat....

Now I am one of those people on appearance, although I don't give a stuff in anyone sits where I normally do, no one gets there before me anyway - except a couple of the other helpers.

I talk to anyone, but I do talk mostly to my friends - they are just that, my friends! We may be seen as cliquey but I've spoken to new members who then seem to be standoffish - takes all sorts I guess.....

I have seen the same people rejoin time and time again, if they'd stayed, they'd be a lifer like me!!!

Anyway, back on topic - has anyone ever had a consultant be visited by another consultant or area manager? Perhaps this needs to happen a bit more so there is more consistency amongst groups. Just a thought.

I changed groups for this exact reason. I wouldn't say the consultant was rubbish - she was always there to answer questions in group and was happy to take emails/phonecalls in the week if you had a query. The problem I had with her is that I got the impression that she really didn't care. She was useless at remembering from one week to the next what people had said and was terrible with remembering who was who. A lot of people used Image Therapy as a chance to moan about everything going wrong in their lives, which is fine but it meant I didn't want to stay and when I did I found it depressing.
One week I couldn't weigh in on my normal evening so went to a different group to weigh in as a guest member and it was a totally different experience! The consultant knew everything about everyone and was so positive, celebrating overall loss as well as that week's result, so even if someone had gained they got a clap and felt good about their journey as a whole. There were also several target members in the group too - I don't think there was one in my old group.
So I asked her to swap my groups there and then. Now Image Therapy is fun and I feel like I have missed out if I can't stay for it. And if people are feeling negative about their weight loss, the whole group gets involved to turn it around for them and make them realise they CAN do it.
I think I'd have left by now if I had stayed at my old group - it's amazing the difference a great consultant can make.

My consultant does that, says your overall loss as well as how you've done that week which I find good as even if you've not lost I suppose it would make you feel good about what you've achieved so far! And not to give up.

Back