Anyone here eat quorn?

I eat quorn all the time and have never had any trouble :) I have quorn sausages chopped in a pasta salad which is really quick and simple!

Not to sound like the completely ignorant American here (which of course I am), but what the heck is quorn? I googled it, and found only a mysterious Twinkie-looking thing that's made of FUNGI?! What on earth does this stuff taste like? just curious.... O.O

It's a mushroomy fungi -y substance which takes on the flavour of the product.

Sausage, chicken, mince etc. but more robust than say, Tofu which can also take on flavour but is softer and made of bean curd.

I think you'll always know its a substitute for meat and won't be fooled. But I find it ok

ASDA were selling a pack of 5 sausages for £1.95

Iceland are selling a pack of 15 for £2.00

Work that one out!!

Sounds fascinating, thanks for the info. I'm not crazy about tofu; imo it's wimpy. And tofurky is an abomination. But I love a big fat Portobello mushroom grilled like a steak. So quorn seems like it could make sense as a better substitute than tofu. Wonder how long it will be until quorn is available here?

Where abouts are you?

Yeah I'm not a Tofu fan at all. It's the consistency of a block of cooked albumen.

Tofurkey sounds vile too lol.

If you're in the states you should be able to buy it as that's all Bruce Springsteen sang about.

Quorn in the USA

I thank ya!!!

trw1972 said:
Hey all thanks for the responses.

I gave it a try (sausages, mince and the roast) and had no problems here, have to say though i always find it astonishing that a fungus is more expensive than real meat!

Totally agree with you there :-\ never understood that either

Sent from my galaxy s2 using MiniMins app

Oh my goodness... Hold the front page!

I have just made a spaghetti bolognaise using minced QUORN...

I was heaving at the thought of it, as I cooked it.. But I made it much the same as I would my normal bolognaise, with mushrooms, onions, garlic, passatta, herbs etc... Then the crunch came.... feeding it to my 2 teenage children, husband, and me..(ohh and by the way, we are all big meat eaters)...

I sat in silence and slowly watched them eat it.. and then they all started making mmmmm noises, and I was even told 'Mum, this is the nicest one youve ever made'....I smiled sweetly, and just watched, simply itching to tell them all what they were eating... When all the plates were licked clean (note to self,teach kids some table manners)..I told them... and they couldnt believe, and asked for it again!

I only managed a few spoons of mine, not because of the taste, but due to the Hypnotic gastric Band!... but I do have to say, it was very nice!

So dont be scared!... try it!

I love Quorn. The chicken style pieces are nice i make a curry using those. I like the Sausages aswell

photo.JPG

Im not a vegetarian but one of my best mates is so if we have a dinner party with the girls we always use quorn. the mince is very low fat so i made taco cupcakes out of it today and my boyfriend never even realised :) my friend tells me the faijta strips are really tasty as well

yep I use the mince, will be on the look out for the sausages too :) xxxxx

All quorn fab. Exept mince. That's prob the worse product but even that's ok. X

I always have a stock of the chicken pieces and mince - as they're really handy to pull out of the freezer to put in a stir fry or chili at short notice.

In response to the OP, I'm pretty sure I've heard that CSPI are just some sort of vegan pressure group - they object to the use of eggs in the manufacture of Quorn, and have tried to make it sound like there are actually health risks associated. I wouldn't worry about it.

I use the quorn mince and burgers as I'm intolerant to beef but iv also had the chicken and sausages! Haven't tried any of their other products

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com mobile app

Back