Atkins: The Diet I Never Thought I'd Try

Hope you feel better soon x

Thank you, I'm feeling a lot better already! But since I took it easy today I have SO much to do tomorrow! Hope I can get it all done.

I hope so! I think the dress looks nice but I'm not completely comfortable in it I guess because it's not something I can hide in. I hope I will be able to wear it without feeling self conscious the whole time. If I'm feeling bad about myself that morning I can totally see myself changing my mind at the last minute and throwing something "safe" on instead! :eek:

All I've wanted lately are desserts. I know some people say to fight through the cravings to be rid of them forever but I don't care about that. I want to still enjoy my food and eat the things I like...I just want to be able to do it while being a healthier weight. So I'm all about the low(er) carb alternatives!

I bought more peanut butter...sigh. But this time I found a healthier no sugar, no salt kind. The result? It doesn't taste half as good as the kind I couldn't keep my hands off of. :p So I can still mix it into my Greek yogurt or smoothies, but I'm less likely to sit down with a spoon and eat a quarter of the container in one sitting! From now on that will be the only kind I buy.

Breakfast today was coffee with cream and Greek yogurt with peanut butter, a bit of dark chocolate, some peanuts and a splash of Da Vinci cookie dough flavour syrup. I didn't really have lunch but had a snack: almond milk with just a bit of Da Vinci chocolate German cake syrup. I didn't mix it in, so one sip tasted like almond milk and the next was deliciously sweet and chocolatey - so good; can't recommend enough! Dinner was half a spaghetti squash with salsa, cheese and meatballs. Tonight I also made a chocolate cheesecake type dessert kind of similar to this, which is still in the fridge: Low-carb, keto chocolate mousse | Low Carb Diet Support

I don't know what has me so sweets-crazy today, but I'm glad I at least resisted the temptation to eat higher carb, sugary treats. Tomorrow will be all about the fish and salad to make up for today! :)

Today I got the lecture most of us have probably heard before...all the fat I'm eating is unhealthy, I'm going to give myself a heart attack, etc. :( I'm sick of people acting like I'm reckless or stupid and tired of feeling like I need to justify my reasons for doing this. Even worse, I hate that tiny bit of doubt that always creeps into the back of my mind and makes me wonder if maybe they're right. I feel like I'm ready to say screw it and be done.

This morning I'm up a couple pounds and to be honest I'm not even sure I'm in ketosis anymore. I'm going to try keeping my carbs very low for the next few days. Hopefully tracking everything carefully will help. I'm feeling so discouraged and unmotivated lately!

I'm also toying with the idea of giving up red meat for a while, just as a way to incorporate more chicken, turkey and especially fish into my diet. Undecided.

Brunch was bacon, eggs and cheddar and an iced coffee with cream and Splenda in it. Dinner will likely be salad with canned tuna on it. I'm going to go to bed early so I'm not tempted to snack on questionable things late at night! I would really like to drop a few more pounds in the next couple of weeks. I'm going to do my best to stay below 20g net carbs per day from now until then.

I'm sorry to hear that you sound like you're going through a tough time. Don't listen to what other people say, do what you feel and think is best for you.

Giving up red meat could be interesting. It might take a while to figure out the best thing for you and it may be a tiring journey but always remember, what you were doing before lead to weight gain and possibly health issues and you want to get away from that!

Keep going x

Tough one for sure when people are critical of your plan. You'll find plenty to eat without red meat! Have a good week. :)

I did better without red meat too - although does pork count, 'cause I love the stuff :)

Well done on focusing, despite the neighsayers!

I had a big, ugly cheat. :( I just feel so lost and stressed from things going on in my life right now I don't even know what my plan for tomorrow should be. The past 24 hours I've been mixing fat and carbs which I know isn't healthy. I think I need to go back to the super-strict induction diet I followed back in April because that's when I was most successful. I may look at the meals I logged in MFP during that time and try to recreate them. All I know is I can't slip back into old habits. My progress certainly hasn't been as dramatic as I'd hoped, but I've still managed to lose a bit...and I'd be so upset if I gained the weight all right back like I've done countless times before.

Oh hun it is easily done, I've been there many times.

I do recommend clean and green - or back to basics - it works really well for Jim and Katie when they want to whooshie off a gain.

Thanks for the encouragement ladies, sorry for all my ranting as of late!

I've decided to try to stay under 10g net carbs for the next 3 days to make absolute sure I get back into ketosis as soon as possible. After 3 days I will up it to 20g net carbs. I guess that means I'm back to measuring and tracking because it seems when I get too lax I run into trouble. I am also going to make sure to do my workouts, which I've been neglecting, and drink a ton of water.

The good news is I've woken up before I've done too much damage...if I've only regained a few pounds it's easily reversible. In the past I wouldn't have smartened up until I'd gained it ALL back (and maybe more). I absolutely can't avoid the scale for too long because it helps keep me accountable, so I will weigh in very soon. Posting updates here - even if it's only to admit I've fallen off the wagon - also helps, so thank you! :)

Thanks for the encouragement ladies, sorry for all my ranting as of late! .....Posting updates here - even if it's only to admit I've fallen off the wagon - also helps, so thank you! :)

Don't be silly hun - this is YOUR diary and your place to rant until you have to lie down under a table with a bottle of champers! :D

Just look at my diary - about half is about my way of eating (woe) on that particular day - because as we all know, i can change my mind constantly with a capital C - and the other half is bemoaning or being over the moon happy about something :D

Having said that, I think 10g carbs is too low - I would suggest sticking to strict induction, 20g carbs, and do protein and veg and I am sure that will get you back on track xxx

Good luck getting back on the wagon. And every time you worry about high fat, think of the list of doctors endorsing high fat...

Dr briffa
Dr attia
Dr lustig
Dr atkins

There's loads more.

And go read their books.

I'm absolutely convinced lower carbs and higher fat is the way to go. It's much more mainstream in Scandinavian countries, where they tend to pay more attention to scientific research.

I'm currently trying no sugar no grain (Vinnie Tortorich) as a more relaxed low carb route, but it's only day 1 so no recommendation yet!

Good luck with your new plan

Maybe you're right Susie. I talk about moderation but am terrible at taking my own advice...I seem to be all about the extremes! What a hypocrite I am. :p In any event I'm trying to make sure I save some of my carbs for evening, which is when I'm most likely to want to eat. Today I'm off to a great start so far - a big coffee with plenty of coconut oil and some almond milk helped stave off the afternoon munchies. Now I just need to stay on track this evening, but I don't think it should be terribly difficult.

Thanks for the list, Phoenyx. I read up on the Atkins diet quite a lot before starting - not just the book but also what other, hopefully non-biased experts SAID about the book. I was hesitant given all the backlash (there's also plenty of that, too) but decided the arguments that a high fat diet can be healthy were convincing enough for me to try. I'm not familiar with any of the other names you mentioned but might do some more reading once things settle down here. Thanks for the well wishes and good luck with your plan too!

Back