Atkins with one eye on the calories!

I'd like to stick up for stick women, too. Obviously if a person has got there by extreme dieting, undereating, taking drugs or having some sort of eating disorder then it's not very healthy, but plenty of women are naturally skinny or lack curves despite having a very healthy appetite! And can still be beautiful 'real' women.

True LM and my mom and older sister are just like that. naturally thin and can't gain weight. That gene skipped over me LOL

Hi all and thanks as usual for your kind words! Just started new job so I don't have much time to pop in here :(

I think you might be right about enjoying my current weight for a bit and not stressing about losing - as long as I don't gain I should be ok :)

The size debate is interesting; what annoys me is that the media can't seem to look at it in moderation - obviously fashion model sizes (UK size 4 to 6) aren't a healthy or realistic image, but nor is the current average (size 16) necessarily the right goal to aim for either, as it is likely to be medically overweight. Why can't we have some nice size 12s and maybe 14s in the media - people who look sexy and a bit curvy, but clearly fit and healthy as well? There don't seem to be many healthy role models for women...

I agree Hooya the media needs to and should show more healthy women who are sizes 12 and 14.

i was looking at pics of sandra bullock the other day in the paper. she is slim, but doesn't look scrawny. she looks like she's supposed to be that slim, and that's fine. but some look so gaunt!!

i always through drew barrymore was a good size. when she was in charlie's angels she was slim but curvy with it, fab. still. both are far thinner than i ever hope to be!! ha.

Apart from anything else, it's just not a very good way to sell clothes. I appreciate that in the high fashion mags they aren't so much selling clothes as selling escapism or some sort of aspirational lifestyle (not one that I aspire to!), but putting high street clothing lines exclusively on scrawny models is completely pointless, it would be so much more useful for women to see what particular styles would look like on someone who had their shape. With my business head on, I just can't see why the clothes industry doesn't change to maximise sales... :confused:

because people like to think they'll look like the models if they buy the clothes i suppose... althought it's never happened to me yet :D

Well said LM and you are right. You would think they would dress the clothes more to average and normal sized women. But like abz said maybe some women feel if they can put the clothes or or dress like that then they are thinner also.

Me too Claire I'd love to see a magic thinning dress :)

Hey guys, I didn't have time to read all the previous posts so sorry if you already said, but what would you say is your average daily calorie intake and what per cent would come from fat, carb and protein? I read somewhere that you should be consuming 10-12 times your body weight in calories. That means I need to eat about 3000 cals per day. For me that is nearly impossible! Also, why would heavy cream and cheese stall weight loss? is it because it's dairy or too fat/cal dense? Thanks guys!

I suspect it might be because lactose is a type of sugar (like fructose) although one that is generally not as easily absorbed as simple sugars but might still affect blood sugar levels in unlucky individuals. That's just a guess, though!

I dont eat a lot of cheese in general so I really cant say. but many have said cheese along with citrus acid and those atkins or low carb bars have stalled them..

Hey guys, I didn't have time to read all the previous posts so sorry if you already said, but what would you say is your average daily calorie intake and what per cent would come from fat, carb and protein? I read somewhere that you should be consuming 10-12 times your body weight in calories. That means I need to eat about 3000 cals per day. For me that is nearly impossible! Also, why would heavy cream and cheese stall weight loss? is it because it's dairy or too fat/cal dense? Thanks guys!
I read that we should add a naught to our target weight (in pounds) & use that as our daily calorie count. So as my target weight is 10 stones - 140 lbs my daily calories should be no more than 1400. I am afraid I do keep an eye on my calories as well.

Hey, Congrats Morenachica! :flowers:

Last edited:
Thanks Wrinkly it defintely feels good..

I keep an eye on my calories too. It's like I have a calculator in my head LOL.. Its the same with carbs too LOL

Hi,
Do you actually get fed up eating. and do you have to eat loads in order to lose weight.

No Suepass, on Atkins we eat when we are hungry & until we're satisfied. Because we eat mostly protein & fats rather than carbs I for one remain satisfied for longer. I have never felt hungry on Atkins, more than I can say about every other diet I have been on and believe me there have been many... ;) :D

Hi everyone, I need to catch up but can't, got to catch up with work first. LOL

It was fantastic Laura, I'll get some photo's uploaded this weekend.

Thanks for the info guys, I usually am never hungry but eat because I know that I need to. Sometimes I think that I eat too little and am putting myself in "starvation mode" or am eating too many calories because I like iced coffee with heavy cream, and that would stall me from losing. I have been on plan for 2 weeks with 1 lb gone :( I used those "all phase" atkins bars and checked my pee and the ketostix was negative! I've cut those out. it's discouraging to hear of people losing all sorts of weight and here I am with one lousy pound gone in 2 weeks.
Thanks for letting me vent. Have a great day.

Back