August Money Challenge

i know, its local shop and makes you think twice about giving them your business!

Very true! I`m sure that you`re only supposed to have one per person. Unless the shop keeper is giving the vouchers to friends and family. It`s still a misuse of the voucher and an abuse of his position.

I`d be inclined to report it to both the Sun and Morrisons.

I did think about reporting it, but wondered who to, I'll see what happens next time there is a voucher.

My OH reckoned Trading Standards might be interested. I agree, if you find the same sort of thing again I`d def report it.
If staff at the Sun and Morrisons have to abide by certain rules why should a newsagent profit. Especially as the defaced papers were then put on sale!

I kept a log of everything I was spending for 2 months and was amazed on how much cash I was losing on little things. I save an extra €80 a month now just by tightening up a little!

I need to do something like this as seem to budget for bigger stuff but bits and pieces gets spent and add up and then there is no money for the bigger stuff!

I need to do something like this as seem to budget for bigger stuff but bits and pieces gets spent and add up and then there is no money for the bigger stuff!

Exactly, during the week me & DD went into Boots, we'd already had the 'I'm not spending unnecessarily conversation', as we walk in we both made a beeline for the lovely new lipsticks which were on offer, I picked one up & then put it down, DD said it's only £7 get it, and I said it may 'only be' £7 but they all add up. I think we need to take a look at 'the only' spends 'cause they really do add up, I think I've been naughty with this for the past couple of months and it needs to stop!

Yes those sort of things add up and also little things that crop up like say prescriptions or the air beds need to buy for sons camping trip as one of ours deflated the weekend! Need to budget for those.

We did make a saving on our house insurance though by changing from the one with our bank which was supposed to be cheaper with the account we had but we saved over 200 a year by changing to axa!

Maybe that money is what should put aside for the other stuff lol

I kept a log of everything I was spending for 2 months and was amazed on how much cash I was losing on little things. I save an extra €80 a month now just by tightening up a little!

That`s a good idea, just need to convince OH to reign in his Costa Coffee habit!!
Think he`d be surprised if he added it all up! :D

I have taken to telling him we have less money than we really have.
Money burns a hole in his pocket. I`ve even taken away his debit card and closed his ebay account.

If he wants something on ebay it`s gotta go through my account and I regularly change my password.
He collects picture cards you used to get in cigarette packs and packets of tea. He once spent over £150 in one week on them without realising!! Had to draw the line somewhere! :mad:

Now just need to get him to go somewhere cheaper than Costa!!:D

Money has been pretty good this month. I did go out for an expensive meal but not done much food shopping - I have got into the habit of taking cash with me to the shop and only buying what I need. Today a bag of spuds and that's it lol.
Also sold a few more bits on ebay and got £75 by the weekend which was great. x

I'm back to visiting a supermarket once a week now.
I buy my meat in bulk online every 6 weeks.Get fruit,veg,eggs,oil etc on a Sunday.If I run out of veg I use frozen(yuk) but it stops me going into a shop during the week.
As I don't eat crisps,bread,cakes,cereals,cereal bars,rice,pasta,potatoes then I don't have to worry about running out of them.

It's all about planning and it takes 30 mins on a Saturday night to do it.:)

It's surprising how much you eat which you don't need just because it's there or you need to have your syns/points or whatever.I don't drink alcohol at home any more as it became a habit and it's not that I needed it.Just empty calories and money saved.:)

Over 2 months for 2 of us it works out about £50 a week and that includes toilet roll,washing powder etc.

Wow!! That is disciplined!!

I thought I was doing well at £70 a week. Your stats blow mine out of the water.

Freezer still quite full from when I used the Morrisons voucher recently so it`s only fresh stuff, toilet rolls & kitchen towels that are needed. Tend to spend a lot on fruit. OH always says we`ll never eat it all. But every week it`s all gone!!

How do you manage to keep it at £50? I plan but it`s still at about £70

I've been planning less but actually using up what I have bought rather than ramming my fridge/freezer and cupboards full of stuff all the time.

I def want to get a couple of vouchers for morrisons meat so please shout anyone if it is true :) I missed it last time doh!!

I am quite pleased with my mornings work re money today! Despite having spent money on a trip away for hubbys birthday from my money I had put aside previously. I have booked the hotel through Quidco and will get £15.46 back and 200 nectar points and am going to complete a survey for a few more nectar points now.

I have taken clothes to the clothing bank and got £8.46! Whoop lol

I opened a tin that I had just put money in at random times (as I am trying really hard to get through to payday without going into my overdraft as that will cost me money but I earn money if I don't go into it) and there was about £20 in it :)

Now I just need to keep up this 'frugalness' when I get paid and benefit from my money more!

Well done on being frugal!

I`ve wondered how good Quidco is. Nectar points as well!!

Did well at Morrisons earlier.
Got lamb chops
Braising steak
Duck legs
Pork ribs
Lean mince
Chicken breast

Had more than one voucher so had to do more than one purchase and go to different tills.

Happy days sounds like you've done well today.
Not bad I thought x

Did you get voucher this time??

Well done on being frugal!

I`ve wondered how good Quidco is. Nectar points as well!!

Did well at Morrisons earlier.
Got lamb chops
Braising steak
Duck legs
Pork ribs
Lean mince
Chicken breast

Had more than one voucher so had to do more than one purchase and go to different tills.

Thanks x

Quidco is ok, I've not made much on it but depends what you buy and if you go through them etc May as well join, every little helps!

Back