Back again, hoping third time's a charm

Great weight lose and congrats about getting into new stone bracket. Glad that your IBS on the whole has behaved itself. I understand what it is like living with this condition. I have sjogrens and got IBS as a result of this. I wondered how the change in my new eating habits would affect my IBS but I have been good overall generally. Nothing too bad to stop me following SW. Keep up your good work.

3lbs down this week after my second week on fast 800 that's 7lbs this past fortnight, I'm so use to it now i could continue you longer, but as it was just to stop my body adapting to the calorie levels and will go back to my alternate days for next 6 weeks. The loss levels will drop back to my usual 1lb a week, but I am happy with that.:)

Well my worse nightmare happened, I have been in hospital the last 10 days with a scary lupus flare and am now on high dose steroids for the next 6 weeks. already up over 7lbs mostly due to fluid retention, anxiety and the massive appetite prednisone always gives me. So best i can do over the coming weeks is try to limit the damage to my weight loss journey. Im going to try and stay under 17 and a half stones by doing a 5:2 or 4:3 1400/800 and attempt to stay on in my 8 hour window but that has been impossible while in hospital as you have to take these meds with food at certain times a days. Now im home hopefully i can gain a little more control, but im just gonna concentrate on getting this flare under control.
On a more positive note, they have completely taken me off the hypertension meds.

Oh Dee you poor love, that sounds horrendous! Pleased you're home, I never sleep much in hospital, nothing like your own bed.

Maybe, once you're feeling a bit better, the fluid retention can be treated and you'll see the gain whoosh away?

Big hugs, all fingers crossed for a quick recovery x

Oh I'm sorry to hear this, I hope you feel better soon, try not to worry about the weight loss blip, it has to be a long term journey for us all.

O what a nightmare for you, I wouldn’t stress too much about food at the moment, I would focus on recovery and then get back down to the weight loss effort.

It’s amazing that you’re off your hypertension meds - what an achievement!

Sorry to hear you have been poorly. Concentrate on getting better that's the main thing. When you have recovered you can carry on with your weight loss journey. Congratulations on coming of your hypertension medication. A great achievement.. I hope you get better soon.

Thank you all for your support, still taking it easy, i just fell back into my low carb woe when i got home and had control over my food choices I've been doing this so long now that it just feels normal, even the jump up in scales after eating the odd high carb meal or snack goes back down after a few days on low carb. I thought id be gaining like mad on the steroids, but in fact i've lost all the water weight i've put on in hospital and even a 1lb down. I'm wondering if low carb/ketosis being an appetite suppressant is a factor here, yes it will slow down losses but anything from maintain and even small losses im happy with. I think i'll just update at the start of each month for a while.

Last edited:
Good to know all is good, Dee, and that you've even shed a lb. Low carb is slower than vlcd, for sure - but makes me a lot happier, eating good food! l look forward to your next update.

its the start of the second half of the year, 5lbs loss last month (228 now :) )and still hanging in there after another few days in hospital earlier this month. Being in hospital is never great but at the moment with everything going on its so stressful, but its a neccesary evil as they are trying to get my meds right to get this flare under control (sigh).
I cant do 16/8 atm while on these meds as i have to take them spread evenly with food thoughout the day, a little frustrating, but trying to do a 12 hour window for now. My carbs have crept up to 70 to 80 ish a day and im out of ketosis. but as i find the strict keto levels of 20g a day too hard to stick to, I've found that usually 40 - 50 will give me a mild ketosis, but for now i'll just keep an eye on my calorie levels and keep to my low sugar to continue to keep my diabetes in check. im just taking things easy as this current lupus flare is kicking my butt.

Last edited:
aw, sorry to hear you're still not properly well, you just take care and well done for not completely giving up as lots of people would have. Good loss last month anyway 5lb's is not to be sneezed at!

You've had huge weight loss so far Dee and doing that while I'll is amazing, well done.

One Year and still going...... can hardly believe it!!

My monthly update for July: ... After a 2lb loss in the first week, things came to a standstill i lost and gained the same 1lb for the past 2 weeks. I've been struggling with the increased appetite that comes with another increase in my steroid dose, especially at night when i turn into a cookie monster which has pushed me back into weighing everyday (sigh). still hanging in there tho going over my calories a lot of days, but trying to keep it limited to less than a couple hundred, I'm not beating myself up over it, should be off them by the end of august, so hopefully i can go back to my IF. Had a 2lb mini woosh late this week so lost 4lbs in total for July. 16 st/224lbs
Its been a whole year since i started this weight loss journey didnt quite make that 100lbs total loss milestone for the year but imma call it close enough and will hopefully officially get there by end of sept..:)

Last edited:
One Year and still going...... can hardly believe it!!

My monthly update for July: ... After a 2lb loss in the first week, things came to a standstill i lost and gained the same 1lb for the past 2 weeks. I've been struggling with the increased appetite that comes with another increase in my steroid dose, especially at night when i turn into a cookie monster which has pushed me back into weighing everyday (sigh). still hanging in there tho going over my calories a lot of days, but trying to keep it limited to less than a couple hundred, I'm not beating myself up over it, should be off them by the end of august, so hopefully i can go back to my IF. Had a 2lb mini woosh late this week so lost 4lbs in total for July. 16 st/224lbs
Its been a whole year since i started this weight loss journey didnt quite make that 100lbs total loss milestone for the year but imma call it close enough and will hopefully officially get there by end of sept..:)
Being on steroids as I can attest too is tough going, When I am on them if it isn't nailed down I'm eating it :rotflmao: At least there is light at the end of the tunnel and you are coming off them at the end of August health permitting.

You have done tremendously well in the face of adversity. Your an inspiration to show that you can turn your life around despite having health issues. To lose 100lb or there about is a wonderful achievement one you should be very proud of. I am sure there has been numerous non scale victories as well to celebrate during your weight loss journey.

My monthly update for August.
The first week I lost 2lbs to get into the 15 stone bracket for the first time in decades, which was a good incentive to be strict with my eating as I had a birthday coming up which ended up a weekend of cake and wine. it was great to take a w/e off although i still did low carb for breakfast and lunch both days the evenings were a carb fest had a great time. so i was pretty good food wise before and after, threw in a couple extra low carb days and stayed off the scales. I'm sure there was a lot of weight swings but I'm another 3lbs down today making it 5lbs for the month, pretty happy with that :)
I'm sure this has been helped by the continuing reduction to a lower dose of steroids, was hoping to be off them by now but my flare wont settle, a little better but still giving me a hard time. I've also started that Tier 3 NHS weightloss program. its actually quite an informative program for those starting out, but took way too long due to the lockdowns to start for me as i had already lost 5 stones on my own, They kind of still doing the low fat woe, not necessarily useful as I'm doing low carb, but you get a nice book full of weighloss strategies, mindful eating etc and we have the video meetings 3 weekly with access to a dietician/exercise coach and a couple of apps to help you keep track and social network to chat to other participants (well i prefer here for that). so i'll continue doing my own thing and it will be useful for ongoing support for up to a year which is what i'll need once i reach goal to not slide backwards.

PS I found seriously low carb, trying their sliced bread, rolls and hot cross buns. tastes ok, bread thats 30 cals and 0.9 carbs a slice how they do that??.....seriously expensive too lol, but nice for a treat.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your progress - and passing the 30% mark. Impressive.

I hadn't seen Seriously Low Carb - and checked them out. I won't eat palm oil and avoid rapeseed oils - so that won't suit me. The Keto Fitness family have got a local baker baking their bread recipe - the Megga Bread recipe is on their website. I didn't see the weight of the SLC loaves - but I imagine KFC bread will be more expensive. It needs freezing to keep. £10 for 2 400g loaves / £14 for 3 loaves / £17 for 4 loaves https://www.ketofitnessclub.com/collections/food-products/products/megga-3-2-1-bundle

I've been meaning to experiment with various loaf recipes - Keto Fitness Club Megga loaf with Vital Wheat Gluten, Dr Berg's recipe with arrow root and Maria Emmerich's PSMF high protein "bread" with egg whites and egg white powder. This last is good for the higher protein eating Diet Doctor and others are recommending. It would be ideal if i found a bbread i can make that Mr AG will eat. He's put on weight while he's been ill.

I have been referred for the Tier 3 NHS weightloss program - so thank you for the recommendation. However - I am on a wait list for an appointment - and it may be month and months before I start. My old GP never mentioned it as a possibility.

Also interesting the NHS are still promoting low fat. I thought their target weight loss as a success was pretty low - I think it was 5%. I wonder if there are massive battles between traditional dietetics which has comprehensively failed and the Low Carbers at Newcastle, Dr Unwin and co.

So much for the NHS wanting to get weight loss as a priority.

Having good fats has made my weight loss sustainble - and good tasting. I am now reducing the fats a bit and increasing protein. Overall fuel intake (calories) stiill matters imho. Still tasting good!

No one explained to me before how being fat was an increased cancer risk. Now I understand. I am convinced by the argument by Ben Bikman, Dr Jason Fung, Diet Doctor, Ted Naiman and other doctors that metabolic damage caused by insulin and carbs is the underlying problem with many "western" diseases. It's interesting to think about the proposition that the weight loss success low carbers are getting may not be the lower carbs - but may be the higher protein.

Good luck for the next month.

Hey Ali, thanks :)
That keto bread looks good too , I like they are high in protein as I've been following moderate fat high protein this time around. last time i think my protein was too low for my body weight and being unable to exercise i lost a lot of muscle. i did a lot of research including the doctors you mentioned and increased my protein significantly this time. I used that protein to weight ratio at first but being 22 stones that was a lot of protein and over consumption will turn to fat and can lead to kidney problems too so i aim for 30 to 35 % as my calorie intake is pretty low anyway, its all individual depending on your circumstances and calorie consumption. Even tho lower carb usually means you don't have to calorie count, keeping tabs on all my macros & portion size has really helped me with getting this far .

Great news about getting on the Tier 3, hope you don't have too long a wait, then you get a choice of fast track 12 weeks @ 800 or balance, they didn't specify a calorie level but they work up to that. I would have loved to have started with the fast track, but current health issues forced me choose the gentler balance. To be fair to them, they did talk about good fats, good carbs and portion sizes, i just disagreed with their percentages. Talking about protein in one of the sessions the dietician said that approx 46 grams was the protein requirements for the average women, I said well we not average that's why we are here obese ppl need higher protein intakes initially to prevent muscle loss, she kinda agreed but moved on quickly. we old hands at this so just take whats useful from it.

Last edited:
Glad it's working for you. II've rewatched a few videos and am starting to thiink I should track protein for a week or so to learn more about how much protein is in the meats, eggs etc that I eat so I can get a feel for the level of protein suitable for me and then go back to being intuitive and not tracking.

What is the fast track 12 weeks @ 800 ? Is it vlcd or food? Do they use or recommend a commercial tracker app? If so I might use that for my protein tracking week.

Back