Barb's slow but steady improvement diary!

Hi Abz - the sneak peek had put me into shock!
OMG 5lbs gone already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so chuffed, I am well on track to see 6 off by Monday! What a cracking start.

Still feeling very strong - suffering a bit with a few hunger pangs but not too bad. I just tell myself thats me burning up fat!

Day 5 ahead and I am soooooooo ready!

Thanks CP! How are you doing today?

wow. that's amazing barb!! my morning weigh in showed me the same thing but i've given up food completely!! you're doing so well!!

abz xx

Thanks Abz - I think i am too. Last night was a big test. Friday night in our house is very much ' end of week celebration' it's wine/nibbles/take-away/more wine night. Last night I did a low cal meal, counted in some wine, no nibbles etc.. and ended the day on 1192 cals! GO ME!

I am so chuffed, I had actually worried about how the evening would go, but I just feel so determined, nothing is going to be allowed to get in my way. Getting really excited about Mondays weigh in and the first amount i will alter my ticker by/record on my weekly thing.

fantastic news barb!! i have just had to beg off going out for the evening claiming to feel unwell. well i don't feel great. but i also don't want to have to sit in a room of 15ish people all eating pizza. i've already had my goddaughter eating pizza whilst sitting next to me while i munched on a cambridge bar today... so i think i'll give it a miss. i will just end up really moody and bad company. i'm feeling that way at the moment. i woke up this morning feeling all thin and now i feel all fat. it's amazing the difference a couple of hours can do!! but at least i have lots of clothes. just been to the sales in next and matalan and got myself some clothes that fit!!

abz xx

My day's going ok-ish barbs! So far its been

brek: 2 toasts, 1 skinny cow hot choc

lunch: 1 low fat tuna mayo sandwich
tin of tomato soup
1 banana

Think I'll be having beef with rice tonight, and if i feel the 'pangs' i'll make a packet of whipped up no sugar angel delight (my fallback)! Still feeling flu-ey so i'm not in a great mood but I hope you're feeling good about yourself today cos you're doing so well! :)

Thank Abz,CP and Mini. It's so lovely to have your encouragement.

Abz, I think you are doing the right thing tonight - it's too flipping cold to go out anyway!

CP, you sound like you are doing very well too. Once we get the first week or two under our belts I am sure the results will be enough to keep us going!

Mini your target is getting soooo close! Fantastic, you really deserve this success.

I've just had a chat with my Mum about the whole weight thing. She is always supportive/sympathetic and I feel bad that she has encouraged me so many times in the past and I haven't been able to suceed and make her happy for me. i so want 'this time' to be different and I do understand that the power to achieve it is entirely in my hands. I told her that this is the first time ever that I have set such definate targets and she feels that they may be the very thing that makes the difference. I think so too. I'm going to be so excited by Monday for my weigh in. A whole week with no cheating/slipping/compromising - that will be a real achievement.

Wow Barb
5lbs!!! That is amazing. You are so in the zone arent you?? So admire you.
I hear you on the indigestion, I suffer badly from heartburn and indigestion, but know when Im not eating bread and other stuff that affects it, it is ok, so how come I actually keep eating the stuff that affects me!!!
Hope you are having a good weekend.
xxx

Thanks Clarri - I am! I do feel so 'in the zone'; more so than any recent time I can remember. Long may it last!

Thanks Clarri and Mandy - just can't wait for Monday morning now to record the first weeks loss.

Had a really good day yesterday, it was Saturday, another dnager area for me, but I counted everything, including a chinese take-away and ended the day on 1283 cals. Pretty chuffed with that.

I was a bit worried about the chinese, but i chose steamed prawns and chili with no sauce and a half portion of boiled rice. I think those were sensible choices and my cal book had the count for those, so it made it easy.

Looking forward to a lazy day today - feeling totally positive.

good choice for the chinese barb :D you can never be sure on the cal count for these things but that one will have been vaguely right. and as you say, you have plenty of saved up cals for a bit of give it it wasn't exact. you are doing soooooooooo well.

i can't wait to find out how you've done either :D

i bought loads of new clothes yesterday and i'm sitting here in them. i rarely buy new clothes but it was sales shopping and i fancied something that fit so i have some jeans about about 8 tops :D and lots of underwear. was sick of OH laughing at me about my baggy knickers :D

abz xx

Good for you Abz - some new clothes, specially bargain ones, can really give you a lift. Makes the whole 'losing weight thing' seem more real too.

I erred on the high side when counting my chinese cals, so I think I'll be ok. It's amazing to think how many cals I would have had NOT on a diet.

It would have been prawn crackers (lots), thai green curry, duck in honey and ginger sauce, egg fried rice ....... Doesn't bear thinking about. I bet it would easily add up to 1500 cals in one meal. Specially if we'd had some chicken balls as an 'extra'!

Good job I'm so saintly, lol!

You did fantastic barb! I had the exact same conscious battle when we had a chinese last week. My fat brain wanted egg fried rice, heaps of crackers etc.. but my 'you're gonna regret this' brain won the day yay!!

I don't think I'm going to say NO to these things, just be wise about it like you did, otherwise the daywill come when we just go nuts, and if we still choose to have take aways and be able to eat along with the rest of the family that's gonna probably be our saving grace I reckon!! It's all about being wise over being greedy.

I know this week is going to be even better for us because we have all kinda settled into it! Can't wait for your result tomorrow hun, im sure its gonna be fab, you've done so well xxx

well on the chinese front i got hooked on chicken and mushroom with boiled rice when on ww. am not that keen on fried rice. but i do love prawn crackers. so my fave isn't too bad... but my takeaway of choice is pizza.... which obviously doesn't do me any good whatsoever... and since i can't eat any takeaway at all at the moment it's irrelevant, ha. i didn't go out to a friends house last night to a party because i wasn't feeling great, and i knew that sitting in a room full of people and not being able to join in with the huge amount of takeaway would do me in. so i stayed at home with some chicken instead :)

abz xx

Well CP and Abz, we are all making some very sensible decisions right now - well done to all of us.

I had a chat with my DH last night about the diet. I asked him why he is being much more supportive this time than previously (although he always tries to help he doesn't take that much interest).

He said it is because he realises that i am doing it this time for my health and he is far more interested in my health than how I look. He reckons I always look lovely (god, I love this man) but he worries that I am now saying that I don't feel so great, so he feels that this time is really important. I thought that was so lovely; it really underlined how I feel about it too. I can't wait to feel lighter.

I was awake a lot in the night (our kids playfully coming i at all hours, plastered and noisy!) and found myself pondering the whole weight thing and thinking in terms of what i am constantly carrying around. The weight gone already is a small bag of potatoes(2.5kg/5lbs) less - I can't honestly say I feel any difference yet but by the time it 2-3 bags of potatoes I will. Imagine how I will feel when it is 7 bags less. I got really excited just thinking about it. I imagined myself sitting in a train (i know, but be fair, it was 3.30am) and how much less space I would take up. I imagined doing up my belt on a airplane and having to tighten it to 'fit', instead of breathing in desperately and hoping to get it round me.

These changes are going to be phenomenal, life changing, life enhancing. I have so much to look forward to. I think it's only just dawned on me.

it's a great feeling. you think thinking of trains is weird? i seem to think of myself twirling around in a small yellow floating skirt that swirls around. i don't like yellow and i didn't realise i did this when half asleep and thinking of myself as thin... i'm wondering whether it's a strange flashback to the sound of music when i was little or something. i always thought julie andrews was gorgeous... but having just realised that i do it i need to think of myself i think, ha.

abz xx

Your husband sounds lovely barb. It's great that he is paying more attention this time around. My husband is quite taken aback by my determination this time around. We didn't kick off to a good start on 1st January however. He popped out during the day and came back with a Haagan Daz lolly for me saying 'Hey I got you something nice!'

Well...........if looks could kill! I was mortified. "I can't eat that i'm on a diet.!' I told him. His face hit the floor. I hadn't bothered to tell him I was starting on 1st Jan simply because its embarrassing the amount of times that I HAVE told him I'm starting a diet, only to stuff my face a few days later in front of him. I didn't eat the lolly, but it sure did put a damper on things.

Eventually I told him all the main reasons why I just had to succeed this year, and that I'd slowly been mentally leading up to it over Xmas, not really enjoying my xmas food knowing that I was going to have to work this and that off later! But the main reason for doing it I told him was not that I want to look sexily slim or anything,(although that does sound good :D) but the fact that I am over 20 stone and suffering physically because of it. For far too long had I been ignoring the wheezy breaths up stairs and the heavy aches in my knees and joints. I spent most of my pregnancy on the sofa and I'm 38 not 68!! Also, because I'm fairly tall(5'8) I don't look very round at all, which is deceptive both to me and others. They all think I'm just a big tall girl, whereas I know that I can hide the truth from them and pretend I'm just around 15 stone, but I can't hide the truth from myself.

So my hubby is also being supportive now, and really impressed with my fortitude. I only hope to God I don't try to drag him into a binge-fest down the line or he will never believe me again! I HAVE to do it this year because I asked God for a healthy baby with my husband, after 16 years of having my first son in my first marriage, (yeah big age gap!!!) and I never ever thought I'd be having any more kids, and I got my gorgeous little one now. The least I can do is be a healthy and happy mum to look after him and see him grow!

Back