Barb's slow but steady improvement diary!

Hi Clarri, good to have you dropping in. Yes Mandy, thise ready meals can be a life saver! Well done you for staying strong, who needs cheese and wine anyway?

I'm chuffed, day 2 draws to a close and I have had 1020 cals today. I am pleased as I know that there will days that come out a little higher and this way i can balance my cals. I feel like i am getting a real headstart.
Bring on day 3!

barb. it sounds like you are doing fabulously!!

i also made it through yesterday with flying colours although i nearly killed my OH and had to condemn myself to the sofa watching csi to remain sane, ha. fizzy water is my new best friend.

good luck for today babes.

abz xx

Well done Abz and Mandy! We are really going for it ladies.

Feeling more than ready for day 3!

Im even planning to go for a cycle today, I got a bike in the sales and Im off work today so need to keep myself busy xxx

Keeping busy is half the battle I find. If i'm a bit bored my brain soon starts turning to food options.

Cycling sounds very good, although it's a wee bit cold for me. We've had a sprinkle of snow again today!

Thats how I react when bored I eat! No snow here, very rare in fact dry and cold but will wrap up warm and give it a go lol x

Doing ok - probably the hardest day yet. Feel hungry and cold. Think that cal count yesterday was too low - woke up several times in the night hungry and have felt very hungry today, so shan't let myself drop below 1100 again!

Having said that i am on track for a good end to day 3, have had 470 cal so far today so have plenty left for dinner. Think I'm having an M&S count on us strogonoff (355 cals). Then an orange mousse thing (130 cals), so it's all good.

Had my dinner - quite nice, don't think I'd rush after the strog again, but it was ok.

I could have slipped tonight. I really fancies some wine. I didn't have any. There are too many good reasons not to.

Here's my list! (not necessarily in any particular order)

1. Since off the vino and on the diet, no indigestion!
2. My back is aching a lot - if i'm lighter I'm convinced it will be better.
3. Our cruise in May to the Baltics. I'm going to Russia - how exciting is that? I want to be much slimmer by then. There will be a lot of walking involved, I need to feel strong enough.
4. My heart - this has got to be a strain on my heart being this big. I've never acknowledged that before. I need to now.
5. My joints - my hips, but more so my knees, are really troubling me lately. If I stay this weight what will they be like in 5 years time?
6. Clothes - we are in a good place financially and I could buy a whole new wardrobe full of nice clothes if I wanted to. At size 24 I don't, at 16-18 - you won't be able to stop me.
7. I have a seriously overweight son. Actually a morbidly obese son. Time I admitted that too. Perhaps if he sees his Mum slim down he will think he can too. I hope so.

Thats the list for now, I will add to it now and again, but I think it's a good start.

Hi Barb all those reasons are very valid and should keep you on the straight and narrow. I did without the wine and cheese last night you can too lets keep eachother motivated and btw had my first cycle tonight it nearly killed me I may have lost loads of weight but I must be so unfit lol xxx

Mandy well done on the cycling. You may be nearly dead but at least you did it!

I'm glad we can support each other; it's so easy in the first days of a new plan to slip off and not get back on. I can't afford to do that this time. I need to get this right. I think it's just dawned on me that this is about a lot more than how I look.

You've got my support too barb! I also have aching knees/joints, esp when I get out of bed in the morning! It all has change! This year will be OUR year!! I'm also hoping to go on a cruise this year, AND I want to buy an entire new wardrobe, which is yet more motivation to get fitter.

I understand wot u mean Barb when reality sets in you find the strength to do it. When I eat sensibly so do my family when I go off the rails out come the takeaways and I know it isnt good for them. My husband has started a healthy eating programme to keep me company he has piled on the pounds with all the wine and cheese nights my fault also lol xxx

Not really your fault Mandy - I don't suppose you held him down and forced cheese and wine on him. If he's anything like my DH he needs very little encouragement to tuck in. I hear what you are saying though, if I cut down so does he, almost automatically. My Dh is a bit overweight but not too bad, however he does have high blood pressure (which is controlled with tablets) and also a lot of tummy troubles, which I am convinced are made much worse with the vino.

CP, I can really recommend the cruise thing - we did alaska last Setember and it was fantastic. It would have been even better if I had been fitter. Which we both will be this year, won't we? Achy joints are literally a pain and their future worries me. Am I already in line for hip/knee replacements just because I've let myself be too heavy for too long? I am just 50, there is surely time to sort this out.

I finished yesterday on 1088 cals - I know I said I wouldn;t drop below 1100, but i don;t think 12 cals matter too much! I'm pleased, felt like yesterday was a more difficult day and that is now behind me.

I am so looking forward to updating my ticker next Monday - really hoping to see 5-6lbs gone. That woudl be a fab start.

that would be an incredible start barb. i have a bad back. i get sciatica from time to time and back pain regularly although it's easily managable now whereas at first i couldn't move. i believe that the more weight i lose the better my back will be. they don't know what's wrong with it but putting less strain on it can only help!!

and every now and again it occurs to me what amazing things our bodies are. and when we slowly destroy them we really aren't showing them the respect they deserve. i mean, imagine a top of the line sports car that could navigate, talk to you, look after itself. would you scratch it will a key every day, pour chip fat into it etc? of course not... just a thought.

abz xx

Crikey Abz, thats an amazing way of looking at it. I must say my bod does feel well and truly abused but I know it will be less so when it is lighter. You are so right about back pain, too much weight definately makes it worse.

it just helps me realise what an amazing thing we are barb. and it's worth trying to remember. the car analogy was something i made up on the spot so not great, ha. but when you think about all the little things the body can do. what the liver does alone is incredible...

I agree Abz - it fascinates me how fast things change too. I have been chomping away on 'rennies' all over Christmas (and before) with lots of indigestion to put up with. Just 4 days off the 'naughty food' and vino and I have not had a single rennie since Sunday! How amazing is that? My tummy is obviously happier without the rubbish!

A very good day 4 is done and I am pleased to end the day on 1175 cals. i made a super lean lamb kebab for dinner with lots of crispy salad and a yummy pitta bread. Weighed everything, even the garlic! How paranoid is that? I don't care, if I'm doing this then I'm doing it properly!

After dinner we went to Waitrose and did the shopping to save time tomorrow! Unbelieveable! Normally we would have had wine with dinner and therefore been unable to drive! Makes you think, little changes bring big changes.

Really looking forward to Mondays weigh-in, will have a sneak peek tomorrow and see how it's going! I'll report in the morning.

Back