BBQ ideas for Royal Wedding

tara40

Loves Norman Reedus
I thought that there may be a few of us having BBQ's for the Royal Wedding and this might help give each other some ideas as to what we could make syn free or low.

so recipe away....................

Have you had a look at the BBQ sticky in the summer recipes sub-forum?

Are people really doing things for wedding? There's not much interest at all in these parts :)

I love a bbq.........it is such a good and healthy way to eat and can be friendly and filling which ever plan you are on.

We bbq sardines, first of all marinaded in lemon juice, and garlic with very finely chopped onion and garlic and then wrapped in vine leaves, foil works just as well if you can not find jars of vine leaves. They only need a short cooking time so make a perfect starter with lots of crispy salad.

You can syn things like Blue Dragon Sweet Chilli sauce which is what I use to marinate ribs, chops etc. Be careful cooking them as they tend to turn little with the sauce on them if you do not turn them often enough.

Quorn sausages bbq really well.

Salads etc to accompany the meats and fish are easy peasy there are so many recipes in the recipe section. The secret is hold back on the oil and decide if you are n a red or a green day.

The other great danger of course is alcohol. You could flexisyn and save your weeks syns for Royal Wedding day.

We will be bbq ing as well so I will raise a glass to you......... slimline tonic of course!!!!

Have you had a look at the BBQ sticky in the summer recipes sub-forum?

Are people really doing things for wedding? There's not much interest at all in these parts :)

oh yes, we are going to be having a BBQ and us girlies are going to be watching it on tv.

Apart from anything else, I don't think Circes and I could be guaranteed the weather for a bbq. It is chucking it down today lol

Have fun, Tara. How about corn on the cob?

that's okay, the men folk can stand in the rain under an umbrella cooking whilst we lovely ladies sit inside watching it on tv. :D

that's okay, the men folk can stand in the rain under an umbrella cooking whilst we lovely ladies sit inside watching it on tv. :D

Very good forward planning. I am all for that kind of contingency plan.:)

oh yes, we are going to be having a BBQ and us girlies are going to be watching it on tv.

Thats my plan too!!

As for food, I'm a real meat lover so syn free sausages marinaded in syn free bbq sauce, chicken with a spicy rub, pork kebabs with toms, onion, peppers etc and salmon in foil with lemon and black pepper, all accompanied by lots of salad, hm yogurt based dressing and a little(!) vodka and lemonade!
Perhaps have to have a trial run this weekend if the weather picks up, just to check timings of course.....!!!

**sigh** My signature bbq dish is mushrooms stuffed with stilton. Hardly syn free. :eek: Take large field mushrooms and crumble stilton into the open cup. Wrap in foil and shove onto the bbq - delish.

My SW class are doing a "royal wedding party" next Thursday. I'll supply something for it to help out but otherwise not interested in the event at all.

Thats my plan too!!

As for food, I'm a real meat lover so syn free sausages marinaded in syn free bbq sauce, chicken with a spicy rub, pork kebabs with toms, onion, peppers etc and salmon in foil with lemon and black pepper, all accompanied by lots of salad, hm yogurt based dressing and a little(!) vodka and lemonade!
Perhaps have to have a trial run this weekend if the weather picks up, just to check timings of course.....!!!

lovely especially liked the vodka part and the trial run ;)

I am all for a trial run. I think ours has to be our day off Monday..............

The day after the wedding it is Queen's day, the dutch queen that is and there is a mega celebration where we have our antiques unit............... I think I might just be a real synner that weekend.

Roll on Monday !!!!!!

Mmmmmmmm sausages, chops, ribs.......stuffed baked potatoes, avocado and asparagus salad mmmmmm barbecued bananas and pineapple mmmmmmm

Mmmmm!!! I can almost smell the barbie!!

I forgot about my canadian SIL's fantatic layered dip:

Original version (syns - trillions!!!)
Mix a tub of creme freche (sp?) and a small jar of mayo in a glass pie dish (about 4 inches tall). Add a layer of finely chopped red and green peppers and a layer of spicy salsa. Add a good inch of grated cheddar and finish with some finely chopped spring onions. Ideally allow to stand for an hour or two. Serve with tortilla chips (we find it easier to spoon some out rather than try and dip into it!)

SW version I'm going to try (minimal syns) mix a tub of quark with el mayo, add the peppers and the salsa, 42g of lf grated cheese per person and top with the spring onions. Serve with carrot batons, cucumber slices and SW potato wedges (or make pot skins) (but don't serve with celery as its the food of the devil!!!)

I'm on a BBQ roll now - how could I forget my old faithful favourite - asparagus wrapped in lean bacon, straight onto the grill - so simple, so yummy!!!

I'm on a BBQ roll now - how could I forget my old faithful favourite - asparagus wrapped in lean bacon, straight onto the grill - so simple, so yummy!!!

my goodness 2 of my favourite foods combined and thrown on the barbie. That is a must have . Thanks Cherry Pie.

I have sent invitations out to a few friends for the bbq on the 29th. One is Belgium and 3 are German.........be interesting to see how they react. They already think I am nuts.

Now if I could find a way to bbq oranges I would be a very happy bunny.

my goodness 2 of my favourite foods combined and thrown on the barbie. That is a must have . Thanks Cherry Pie.

I have sent invitations out to a few friends for the bbq on the 29th. One is Belgium and 3 are German.........be interesting to see how they react. They already think I am nuts.

Now if I could find a way to bbq oranges I would be a very happy bunny.

Now bear with me a moment, but this might work (or it could be a disaster but hey, thats cooking with cherry for you!!). I have a recipe for a SW friendly marmalade (I've never tried it though, so we might not be off the best start!):

Single serve sugar free marmalade

2 navel oranges
2 lemons
1/2 pt water
15g powdered gelatine
3 tbsn splenda

Cut the rind from both the oranges and lemons, removing all white pith. Cut the rind and pulp into small pieces. Place them in a pan with the water and boil gently for about 30 minutes or until the rind is tender. Add the Splenda and gelatin. Remove the pot from heat. While hot, put into a glass jar.

So, how about doing this in an old baked bean can or similar on the top of the barbie and then serve warm almost chutney style with some sausages, chicken or even duck? perhaps a chopped onion and chilli in there too in place of the lemon? I feel and experiement coming on...

We did a trial run Barbie tonight - blooming lovely!! I didn't practice the vodka though, very restrained!!

We've just finished a lovely BBQ here and I down-synned my favourite potato salad. We're having a red day so I weighed the pots but obv on EE you can chuck in as many as you fancy:
For 2 people I used 400g of pots - Cut new pots into 1inch chunks and boil until tender. Meanwhile mix 2 tbsn of el mayo (1.5 syns) with a tub of O% greek yogurt and black pepper. Stir through 84g (2 HEA worth) of lf grated cheese, cooked chopped bacon and diced red onion. Add the pots while hot and mix well. Serve still warmish for best flavour results with lots of green salad and BBQd chicken and chops - deelish!!!

I was good though, I still haven't trial-runned the vodka yet!! I did us a jug of fruit cooler - sf squash, diet lemonade and sliced fruit, mint leaves and cucumber - but no pimms today either!!!

yeah can u imagine if it ends up really raining lol :( hope not!!!

yeah can u imagine if it ends up really raining lol :( hope not!!!

You mean like here in a not so sunny Spain today.

It is our day off and we had planned a trial run of our wedding day bbq.............will still throw something on the barbie but it will be very low key and eaten indoors.

Back