Be Honest Now..... What's your reason?

mistymoo

I kind of stumbled upon this fabulous site and am amazed that there are so many people on here doing so many different diets, and it's great that i'm not alone.

It did get me thinking though, obviously I know why I want to lose weight, I hate being fat and even though i'm a grown up, people still use my size against me, it's pathetic, but enough to spur me into doing something about it. And I cant wait until I see those horrible people again once I am slim so they can marvel at how wonderful I look!

But I wonder, what is everyone elses reason for dieting........? What actually spurred you into it this time? and be honest!!!

(I'm going to post this on as many boards as I can to try and get answers from people doing all the different diets, i'll let you know the outcome!)

I don't think my weight has ever been used against me and no one has ever commented to my face.

Despite this, I hated myself. I didn't like going out or being seen in public. I was always wondering what other people where thinking about me (although they probably didn't think anything!). I was ill for 6 weeks earlier this year and it made me stop and evaluate my life as a whole and that's when I decided enough was enough. Either lose weight or stop torturing myself.

12 weeks later I'm 1lb short of 3 stone lost and slowly but surely my confidence is returning :)

1] Health

2] Looks

3] Not to be anxious about bumping into people I knew in my 20's. Used to be a Sex God, now.....well Mr Creosote !. Would be ashamed of the contrast.

I don't think my weight has ever been used against me :)

I hate to say this but I think you'd be surprized Mel P. I know for a fact that 99% of employers will see an overweight candidate as out of control in some way.

As I have said before on this site food addiction is the one addiction you can't hide.

I have a young son and there are very few pictures of us together, I delete them/store them away out of sight :-( I hate the thought of him growing up and not having any pics of us together during his early years. Also I'm scared of him starting school (in a few years) and realising that I'm different to the other mummies, I don't want him to be embarrassed of me.

I don't feel sexy or attractive, and often can't understand why my husband is happy to be seen with me. He is very loving and assures me constantly that he fancies me and finds me sexy but I just don't believe it.

I need to start looking for a job soonish, and I'm positive that first impressions count. I think my weight would factor into that first impression, if only because I find it hard to look smart. I just don't have the confidence at the moment to sell myself, despite the fact that I am skilled and well-qualified.

I've been piling on weight since having my son - I lost 4 stones during my pregnancy and was tube fed so I made up for it after he was born, and the excuse that I'm breastfeeding was readily used.

I was aware of it piling on, and then I was talking to a friend about her house. It's beautifully decorated, but in an inner city, deprived area. She was talking about whether the inner decor was just like 'polishing a turd' LOL, i.e. that no matter how much gloss you put on a turd, it's still a turd. This phrase really stayed with me, and as I was getting ready to go out with friends,putting my make-up on I really felt that the phrase applied to me. I thought what was the point of carefully applying my makeup and doing my hair when I looked how I did/do. I brooded about it for about a week, not knowing what to do and then an internet friend started LL and I thought 'I can do that'. I thought about it for another 2 weeks before gathering the nerve to talk to my husband about it. He was very supportive and that was that, I signed up and started two weeks later.

I have yo-yo'd due to pregnancies and weight watchers for 8 years, although I have actually been overweight bmi since my late teens (>20 years) and slowly gaining. In the last few years I had been extremely stressed at work and turned away from a diet to using food as a comforter.

A few key triggers led to starting LL.

1. Awareness of LL
My previously very large sister-in-law lost 8 stone in 10 months last year and is now a size 10/12. She told me about LL over the phone in November (I haven't actually seen her in two years so hadn't noticed she was losing weight). It was the first time I had heard of LL!

2. Ability to continue my sport
I knew I had to lose weight as my drysuit was getting too tight and I can't afford a new one! Diving is important to me.

3. Sister's wedding
My sister got married in May and I didn't wat to be a 19stone blob on the photos I would inevitably have to be part of.

4. Kids
I have three young children and whilst they are not at an age yet where they were bothered by my size, I was. I want to be healthy and live long to see them grow up. I want to run about with them and take them up hills. I want them to feel proud of me and not embarrassed by my size.

5. Work
I work in a male-dominated industry and felt my weight undermined my confidence when working with the guys and that it affected the way they viewed me.

I contacted my nearest LLC and met her in December and started LL in January (after a massive binging session over Christmas). Somehow I knew this was going to work for me this time. I am delighted with the results and know that I am slowly turning my food addiction around.

Now I feel loads more confidence and much better at work, with the kids etc. My drysuit is now too big so might still have to get a new one! Brilliant. xx

I developed gestational diabetes during my second pregnancy. Following the birth of my son, the diabetes reversed however I was warned that if i remained overweight it would return, sooner rather than later in life. At the time I chose to ignore this advice and continued to eat, in complete denial. To my horror I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 7 years later (aged 34). My weight continued to balloon and I found it impossible to control my blood sugar (didn't help that I used to binge eat). I became unwell at Christmas with a prolapsed disc and started to get some of the nasty side effects from the diabetes (infections, contant athelets foot, thrush). I ended up with depression as I was off sick from work. My GP said i'd developed insulin resistance (which makes it very difficult to lose weight) and suggested a VLCD. I found lighterlife and havent looked back! My blood glucose is low and stable and the weight is coming OFF!!! I'm so happy and with the help from the LL group counselling i'm finally coming to terms with the reasons behind me overeating. xx

Hating seeing photo's of myself, not being in a relationship because I couldn't even like myself let alone believe anyone else could like me, hating the clothes I was having to wear, feeling out of place all the time, sweating from the walk to the shops or to work, hating the summer because of the expectancy to wear less when all I wanted to do was cover up more, running into people I went to school with and feeling so embarassed at being so fat while they looked good still, wanting a family and knowing that wouldn't happen while I was obese, having little to no money as I spent it all on food.......

the list goes on and on and on!

I was born a fatty - and grew up in a country where all kids for some reason were born slender (not kidding) .. so while I was blessed with being "cute" as a child, I was still always "roley-poley" or at worst "pig" ... moved to the UK - and comfort eating took a new spin; things were allowed, things were sweet and tasty. So by age 14 I was size 20. School sucked, I hated myself to the point of actual self-destruction.
Lost some weight - self-destructed some more. ...
Then; I met a wonderful man. (well we were both 19!!) We grew as people together, and he helped me overcome many things... In happiness though, our waistlines grew too: my size went up from 16 to 22. His waistline from 38-44. Funny how even happy things can make you eat more!!
But then we both got to a stage that we needed to change our lives - this wasn't how 22 year olds should live!! ... So we discovered Lighter Life in January last year. We did the program together and lost over 20 stone between us! We are both happier, healthier - but image has never been an issue. ... We love each other when we were large, as much as we love each other now.

...So I guess the reasons for the weight-loss was to get my life back; and to do this journey with someone I love. It was also to find that freedom, self-forgiveness for my wrongs, and to finally actually know what it feels like to be 'thin'.

:)

Because, I hated myself. I had to either accept me fat, and be fat for the rest of my life which would have been short. I woul dhave made sure of that. One way or another. And it would have ended in tears. Probably my families.

But I could not do that. I did not want my life to end. So I had only one choice, and that was to do it, or die.

I chose to do it.

Its that simple. I was killing myself, mouthful by mouthful. And I decided I wanted to live.

LL gave me the tools to do that in a timeframe that was realistic and acheivable. I owe a lot to LL.

wow....everything they said.
I love to read posts about peoples reasons ans many of the reasons are very similar to mine. I have to say though minerva,...you have a beautiful way with words hon.
xx

i was just at the end of my tether....sick of always being on a diet.

i felt confused by everything - knew all the theory and still couldn't lose it.

i needed a miracle fix, a way to get back to level ground so i could start afresh

i saw LL last year when i was dieting for my wedding, but didn't think i could do it, so ploughed on counting calories and lost a fair bit, but it piled straight back on after the wedding.

i feel sooooo good now tho, so glad i took the plunge

daisy x

Hmmm well I was sick of being fat, hated the clothes I could fit into and was embarassed seeing people I went to school with. I too couldnt believe my OH could find me attractive, sexy, gorgeous etc etc - so heres to a thinner, happier, healthier me xxx

wow....everything they said.
I love to read posts about peoples reasons ans many of the reasons are very similar to mine. I have to say though minerva,...you have a beautiful way with words hon.
xx

:hug99: Thank you...! :D I tend to write in a poetic way I suppose... Like a story-teller! Ahh, makes it sound pretty I guess.

How about you Lisa? What made you do this?
(p.s. is your mum a little more understanding about LL now? :) )

And indeed it is wonderful to read everyone's reasons to do this... Seems like LL can open many doors for those who are willing to take the plunge... after all, what are we all waiting for? Life is for the taking, not for watching pass us by.

:bliss:

I became progressively fatter after a miscarriage and 2 subsequent quick pregnancies (funnily enough I was still ok after my first pregnancy!!),family problems and stopping smoking.The reason I started this was because I'm getting older and my health was starting to worry me ,I didn't feel attractive anymore and I was full of self-loathing.My size inhibited me and I was playing about with the same 2 or 3 stones doing WW,SS and anything else.I was desparate I suppose :mad:, but LL is helping me address these things.

How long have you got..........

Being ill- getting respiratory illnesses constantly. bronchitis, laryngitis, pneumonia, colds and sore throats for no apparent reason.
Having little energy.
Wearing black all the time.No jeans, no high heels. Industrial bras.
Not being able to walk and talk at the same time.
Hating what i saw in the mirror.
Hating having my photo taken.
Worrying that a seat belt might not do up.
Big knickers and big knockers!
Having difficulty turning over in bed.
The water staying behind me in the bath.
So many more, but that's enough for now.:cry:

For me it was just feeling so unattractive, and not being able to wear the clothes I wanted, or shop in the shops I wanted to. I suppose I was lucky in one respect that I had no health issues relating to being obese - I was actually reasonably fit and healthy - but having a toyboy is a great incentive to make you want to stay as young and attractive as possible ;)

how much of a toyboy is he, come on spill the beans!
daisy x

To be able to have a Baby (as have PCOS), Healthy, Attractive, wear Clothes that I have never been able to, not worry about sitting in the back seat of a car with 2 other people thinking whether or not they are squashed, wanting my husband to give me a piggyback,not worrying about a seatbelt of an aeroplane will do up or not.

To be able to have a Baby ...

I can Identify with this as I have endometriosis ... I've lost some weight myself, but it's taking a long time and I am on a major weight plateau, so I need help to see results and stay focused. Also looking forward to more choice for clothing, more freedom of movement, smaller, less heavy boobs, (mine are outrageous, thank God for Bravissimo), not to be judged for my weight, better relationship with food, maintain a healthy weight, a longer life ...

Last edited:
Back