Becoming a slimmer Miller

In terms of gelatine, mine goes lumpy if I add water in the wrong order. I use the sachets rather than the leaves, I get better results. Also you need to follow the packet instructions, you have to add the gelatine to the water and not the other way round (I think that's right - follow the packet instructions) and it goes ok.

I love my air fryer but it's no good for some things. I love doing butternut squash cubes in it with chilli flakes. Mine's not an actifry, it's just a normal air fryer that you have to toss the contents. I've only just managed to get chips perfect in it. I chop the spuds into chips and put them in a glass bowl with a TEENY bit of cold water in the bottom and put a plate on top. I microwave them for 5 -8 minutes depending how many I'm doing, then I drain off the water, toss them in fry light or canola oil (you don't need much) and then lob them in. They are much better than when I've done them when I've parboiled them in the past.

Were you looking for a substitute for crisps? And were you after something you can make or just buy in the shops?

Gelatine leaves are definitely a no go for me and had one success with the powdered ones.

I will dust off the frier and try your chip technique and see if that gets it better. Since we've been back on serious SW plan since Saturday I think we need some decent chips!

Guess I was looking for something to try to make at home. Suppose thinly slicing the potatoes might get a bit of a crunch going to make me feel like its crisps!

I would just say that I made crisps once and it wasn't worth the faff. Also, to get the equivalent of a bag of crisps I used 3 large baking potatoes. I could never normally eat 3 baking potatoes so it would be over consumption. I buy tyrrells poshcorn sweet and salted popcorn multipacks. Each 12g bag is only 3 syns.

Last edited:
In terms of gelatine, mine goes lumpy if I add water in the wrong order. I use the sachets rather than the leaves, I get better results. Also you need to follow the packet instructions, you have to add the gelatine to the water and not the other way round (I think that's right - follow the packet instructions) and it goes ok.

I love my air fryer but it's no good for some things. I love doing butternut squash cubes in it with chilli flakes. Mine's not an actifry, it's just a normal air fryer that you have to toss the contents. I've only just managed to get chips perfect in it. I chop the spuds into chips and put them in a glass bowl with a TEENY bit of cold water in the bottom and put a plate on top. I microwave them for 5 -8 minutes depending how many I'm doing, then I drain off the water, toss them in fry light or canola oil (you don't need much) and then lob them in. They are much better than when I've done them when I've parboiled them in the past.

Were you looking for a substitute for crisps? And were you after something you can make or just buy in the shops?

Well that worked a treat! I just did slim ones but never heard of just putting them in the microwave and not bothering with the soaking and drying and faffing about. Thanks so much! I saw the poshcorn at the small sainsburys near us but only the big bags (I am no good with big bags!). But will look out for them at the bigger supermarket next week. Had a chip fix so all is good with the world and hubby was very impressed too. Thanks again

Glad it worked. I only discovered it one week when I really couldn't be arsed boiling, drying roughing up spuds. I just thought sod it and blasted them in the microwave. Voila, perfect air fryer chips purely discovered by accident! I've never seen the poshcorn at sainsburys. Tesco do it though. Sainsburys do do another type, is it skinny corn or something like that? That was low synned too but I can't remember exact how many. I remember it not being as nice as the tyrrells though so I stick with that myself.

Week 1 run 2 of couch to 5k tomorrow. Wish me luck (groan)...

I am totally buzzing!!!! How different that was to my last run!!!!! :) :) :)

I went with my husband again but we have decided we can't run together as we both need a different pace. We started the warm up walk together then once the first run started we did our own thing. This worked much better. Getting out the door is the most important thing. I can honestly say I actually enjoyed that run - quite a lot! The sun was shining with a light breeze and I loved it. I was just starting to hit a bit of a wall on my 4th run (half way) when I passed an old man who we often see running in our area and he said really cheerily "hello". It might have just been a hello, but it made me feel well chuffed that I'm out there doing this (dare I say I felt part of a running community???). That one word of hello has been the best word all day - I hit my stride after that and got round the second half just fine (don't get me wrong I was still shattered but not on death's door like run one!)

Now, I am aware I am overweight and I may run slowly but I don't know why other people (namely men in white vans) feel they have the right to shout things out the window at you. Today's was "you call that running?" to which I shouted "yes I f**king do!". I wasn't put off, he did make me cross, but this was one minute after the nice old man said hello so I really didn't give a toss what the white van man said. And to be fair, he could have said much worse. I was expecting some childish abuse at some point because we live in a society that seems to think it's ok to judge others. If people want to judge me for getting off my rotund backside and starting C25K then they can judge away ;) I'm sure I have run much further than he has today (he was more overweight than I was) - I'm just going with my own opinion that he was just jealous! And if anything, I am chuffed I had enough breath to shout back at him!

I am glad I gave myself an extra rest day yesterday. That was definitely the right thing to do. I've already worked out how I'm going to do this. I'm doing one run, 2 rest days, another run, 2 rest days, another run, 2 rest days etc. I'm not in a rush to get to 5k/30 minutes of running. If it takes me 9 weeks great. If it takes me 9 months great. I'm just getting out and getting fit. I think yoga really helped last night so I'm going to dig out my yoga dvd later (I've got one buried in the spare room somewhere) and do half an hour or so of stretching on one of the 2 rest days in between my runs. I go to a class on Wednesdays anyway.

I know this is a long post but I'm excited. I never thought running would excite me but I'm on cloud nine right now and I feel totally exhilarated!

Back to food, this was today's lunch. It will be my tea too because I did way too much of it so couldn't eat it all.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDoCvlzi4Gm/

Last edited:
Well done! I've just caught up with everything, some guys are so rude! You're doing amazing, and couch25k is no easy feat! You'll have your 2 stone award is no time. :) x

That's great that your enjoying running, I wish I could start, but I only just made it round Alton Towers last week then spent two days on the sofa in pain with my back :-(

I try to aim for £60-80 a shop (for 4), the lower I get it means I can spend the difference on clothes for the kids, I've started buying and storing for my hols already, trying to do £70 shops and buy an item of clothing for under a tenner every week.

I've not been on here in ages sorry. Anyway a quick. Update. I had my first gain in weeks last Saturday (only half a pound). The week before I went to Leicester to visit family and we were up until 5am drinking that Saturday (hangover from hell). So on the Monday morning when I hopped on my scales it said 5lb on. I was mortified. Anyway worked my butt off all week to only get half on the following Saturday which I was quite pleased with if I'm honest!

Been good since. I'm back in Leicester now for a few days cos it's our easter holidays (ours fall at a weird time this year). I've brought down soup, weighed out cereal and meals which I cooked yesterday morning before I left. I don't drink during the week so that won't be an issue haha. My 92 year old nan is a bad influence lol. We are having Chinese tonight but 1 meal off plan all week I'm hoping won't make too much difference. During the holidays all I'm really after is a maintain anyway as I usually gain. If I get a loss then that's a pleasing bonus.

Still doing the couch to 5k. Did the last run of week 2 yesterday so that's 6 in total. My leg really hurt after yesterday's run so I strapped cooler blocks to it which helped. Using voltarol gel on it too and it's already on the mend phew.

Hope everyone else is doing great too.

H x

Sorry to hear about your gain, totally know how that feels having visited 'home' for a drink myself a few weeks back. Out of curiosity what religion are you?

Lost 1lb this week (not sure how, really should have gained when you look at what I've eaten between meals!). Anyhow, back to school tomorrow :( but at least that means I get my routine back. I'm planning out some meals ready for the week.

I had this the other night and it was amazing:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEg5tIXi4Bo/?taken-by=slimmermiller

Back on track now. I'm going on holiday at the end of July and I want to be my wedding weight when I go (13st 10lb). 1st 1lb to go.

Looks gorgeous. I bought some salad on Thurs at Asda, got it out on Sat to eat and it had gone off, same thing happened last week :-( salad doesn't like me

Back