Being treated differently because of geing a big guy

wannabeaslimjim

Silver Member
Hi guys,

Just a rant but at tonight's class I feel myself and my brother especially were treated different than say if we were a smaller woman. My brother has lost 20.5lbs in to weeks which is absolutely fantastic. But he's aware that he may have an off week where he STS or even puts on with the body just saying hold on a minute here! Slow down! So he said he wanted to lose 0.5lbs in order to get his 1.5st award. Well the group leader who took class today kept telling him to up it for like 2 minutes saying he wouldn't be happy if he really did just lose 0.5lbs next week and he was insistent that he would be. She would not drop it until he upped it to 2lbs. Now he feels that if he does have one of these weeks where the body just STS he feels that the people there will judge him like he hasn't stuck to plan.

I've been to 6-7 different groups myself and have never seen or could imagine that they would ibises so much to a skinnier woman and put pressure on the,.

Actually I have seen this in pretty much all groups where consultant try and persuade people to aim for more. I don't agree with it either but it's certainly not limited to bigger men at all. Really it doesn't matter at all at the end of the day, nobody holds you to it or even likely remembers what you said you would aim for by the next week. So nobody will judge him at all trust me. It just supposed to gee you up to give it your all that week x

Actually I have seen this in pretty much all groups where consultant try and persuade people to aim for more. I don't agree with it either but it's certainly not limited to bigger men at all. Really it doesn't matter at all at the end of the day, nobody holds you to it or even likely remembers what you said you would aim for by the next week. So nobody will judge him at all trust me. It just supposed to gee you up to give it your all that week x
Maybe perhaps were thinking about it more because obviously it's us well more him I have experienced the why not more but it's just how she was consistently doing it for like 2 minutes and not believing him. I mean she wasn't really happy with just 2. But like I said perhaps it's because it was centred around us/him

I too get this. I've been having a hard time lately and all I get it oh you know how to do if as I've had great losses in the past. Then pressured to say next week il lost 5lb or so. Just because I have before.
I've currently taken time out from the group as it's just not working for me atm :(

It's a bit odd to expect your body to lose what you tell it to! I don't understand the exante diet or know anything about it but surely you do your best and you lose what you lose?! Don't feel self conscious or anything, you and your bro are making a big change and that's only a positive thing. X

Hi guys,

Just a rant but at tonight's class I feel myself and my brother especially were treated different than say if we were a smaller woman. My brother has lost 20.5lbs in to weeks which is absolutely fantastic. But he's aware that he may have an off week where he STS or even puts on with the body just saying hold on a minute here! Slow down! So he said he wanted to lose 0.5lbs in order to get his 1.5st award. Well the group leader who took class today kept telling him to up it for like 2 minutes saying he wouldn't be happy if he really did just lose 0.5lbs next week and he was insistent that he would be. She would not drop it until he upped it to 2lbs. Now he feels that if he does have one of these weeks where the body just STS he feels that the people there will judge him like he hasn't stuck to plan.

I've been to 6-7 different groups myself and have never seen or could imagine that they would ibises so much to a skinnier woman and put pressure on the,.

I'm not a skinny woman! but this is one of the many reasons I left group was the pressure, leaders would not accept "1/2 pound) or if anyone said " a loss" then they would get pushed and pushed to say something more. I did report this to head office and they said the leaders were being motivational - more like bullying!

Love the slimming world plan but unless you get a good group leader it's quite demoralising

I'm sorry you had a negative time.
for what it's worth I saw the exact same thing happen last night at group (to a woman).
i get the impression the consultants are instructed not to encourage loss targets that aren't whole numbers.
no idea why this would be but our consultant said "no, partial numbers so I'll round it up to the next whole number"
i did think to myself that I wouldn't have liked that

weird though bc the scales tell us about 1/2lbs in group!

just carry on. You guys have done brilliantly and you have all my respect.

If the consultant is using the little hand held device to log your 'target' for the following week, it won't let them put in 0.5lbs, it only lets you put in whole numbers. Either numbers or you can set a different achievement, like 'going back to basics' or 'completing SAS logs'
As for them pushing your brother wannabeaslimjim, she shouldn't have pushed him to go for 2lbs if he only wanted 0.5, she should have just said that she would put in 1lb if she can't enter 0.5.
I understand that they have to be seen to encourage losses/goals, but making someone feel like they have to lose more than they want. I'm lucky as I've got a really good consultant, she won't push anyone to up their goals for the following week to more than they want to, but I know it happens elsewhere.

I used to have a consultant who pushed members to state targets for the following week. I always said "I'd rather not, thank you", and if pushed, I would say "I'd rather not, thank you" again, and again if necessary. She got bored before I did!

They can't make you say something you don't want to.

I usually say my plan is to stick to plan 7 days a week (or less if I have something unusual going on).

I can't dictate how many lbs my body will shed in 7 days.

I usually say my plan is to stick to plan 7 days a week (or less if I have something unusual going on). I can't dictate how many lbs my body will shed in 7 days.

Exactly! It does what it does :)

I used to have a consultant who pushed members to state targets for the following week. I always said "I'd rather not, thank you", and if pushed, I would say "I'd rather not, thank you" again, and again if necessary. She got bored before I did!

They can't make you say something you don't want to.
Yes, this! There are people at our group who (politely!) refuse to set themselves targets. Our consultant is used to it now!

I think the whole idea of setting a weekly target is utterly ridiculous, which is why I always refused to do it much to the annoyance of my Consultant. I made it clear that even though I stuck to plan every week, I actually had no control over how my body would react. A 100% week can not guarantee a weight loss at all.

If the consultant is using the little hand held device to log your 'target' for the following week, it won't let them put in 0.5lbs, it only lets you put in whole numbers. Either numbers or you can set a different achievement, like 'going back to basics' or 'completing SAS logs'
As for them pushing your brother wannabeaslimjim, she shouldn't have pushed him to go for 2lbs if he only wanted 0.5, she should have just said that she would put in 1lb if she can't enter 0.5.
I understand that they have to be seen to encourage losses/goals, but making someone feel like they have to lose more than they want. I'm lucky as I've got a really good consultant, she won't push anyone to up their goals for the following week to more than they want to, but I know it happens elsewhere.

Just to say, the hand held devices DO accept 1/2lbs! My old consultant told us for ages that it didn't accept 1/2's............. and then she found out that she could!!
Nothing against her, she was a fab consultant and never 'bullied' us into saying what we wanted to lose the next week, though I tend to agree with others that say, no matter how hard you try your body will drop what IT wants, not what you have requested the week previous!!

Just to say, the hand held devices DO accept 1/2lbs! My old consultant told us for ages that it didn't accept 1/2's............. and then she found out that she could!!
Nothing against her, she was a fab consultant and never 'bullied' us into saying what we wanted to lose the next week, though I tend to agree with others that say, no matter how hard you try your body will drop what IT wants, not what you have requested the week previous!!

Well I never knew that! Learn something new everyday :) my consultant probably doesn't know about that bit lol! Then again, it's all changing next week anyway, so will see what the new device does!
Don't get me wrong, I agree with what everyone is saying, you can't dictate what your body is going to lose by the following week, I know that first hand. But I'm just assuming that they get told they have to get people to try to aim for a loss the following week, I'm guessing to keep them motivated?

my consultant can add in halfs.

also you dont even have to say a number if you dont want to, you can just say 'down'

it really is dependant on consultant , i think.

It is meant as a motivational tool to try to keep the competitive edge while your body is getting used to the plan and the losses are easier than further on in your journey.

I have noticed that my consultant asks nearly everyone in the group for amounts for the following week aside from me but that's because it's getting really tough for me to continue losses at the scales, especially larger ones.

If you are vocal about what you want to achieve, your consultant probably won't push too hard and if you say the next award, they tend to back off a bit :p

Back