binge eating

hello fellow exante peeps :D

just wandering if anybody here has had a history of binge eating because i have :(. i was wondering if being on this diet in the long run will help with my unhealthy relationship with food, do you think when ive been in abstinance fot 10-12 weeks it will give me more control cuz believe me i can consume 3-4000 calories a DAY EASY im eighther bingeing or dieting ive this year started reading lots of books on intuitive eating which i wanna be able to practice once all this extra fat is gone

I'm not sure about binge eating, but I have many years of experience of being an absolute pig - just love food, especially the bad for you stuff.

The way I look at it is, even if I revert to bad habits, I am making an effort now and my health is only going to be better for it.

At the moment, the food I am craving is fruit and veg (not bothered about chocolate), so maybe I am learning something.

Intuitive eating? Sounds very interesting. I hope it works for you. :)

im a binger too its all or nothing for me. im not sure if this diet will help with that as ive still had a couple of binges but at least being on it i dont do it as much.

well in a way diets have caused the bingeing, when your a serial dieter its easy to overeat when your feeling deprived all the time,i think diets create an unhealthy relationship with food theres lots of guilt around the "forbidden" foods when you indulge you think sod it i will just eat the intire pack of biccies even though by the 5th one you cant even tast them anymore, ive also learned that when you calorie restrict the body sends in alsorts of hormones to make you obbsessed with eating ,it apperantley also turns of your full signal meaning your stomach cant feel fullness anymore it will keep it off until you gain most of the weight back, ofcourse knowlege is power so now i know all the bodys tricks i feel im able to deal with all the cravings a bit better, the good news is once you dont give in it actually stops the hunger and cravings and gives you energy so you can go and forage for food and have energy to hunt .

I was a binge/over/comfort/emotional eater... I could pack away more food than I would care to have layed out on a table in front of me!

I hope that this break from real food will re-educate me into making better choices and also my time on xenical before starting exante really made me aware of the fat content of food I was eating, such as Ice cream etc... From now on i will exchange it for frozen yoghurt. Its much much nicer and so much less fat!

yes mrspoogatch im exactly the same any sort of emotion can send me over the hill and i end up eating obscene amounts of food ive been known to put on 1/2 stone in a week,im hoping that this abstinence will end this sort of behaviour once and for all

I have also ate my emotions for years...Happy? - I eat. Fed-up? - I eat. I would feel lost in this blur of feeling bad about myself/eating/feeling disgusted/feeling bad/eating.....
I love that I now have control over my eating. I have fallen of the wagon, but now realise that instead of punishing myself and risking binging, I now get back on the plan and feel totally in control. What a good feeling that is - my mood has lifted and I feel so much better about myself!!

I've always been a binger too :(
BUT in the last 11 weeks of not having to even think about food I've found I've had to actually deal with all the things that would normally have had me stuffing them away, along with anything I could cram in my mouth!
I haven't lapsed once, and I have had the ending of a long relationship to deal with, along with becoming a single parent. So I reckon if I can get through that without turning to food I can do anything, it's really restored my confidence in myself - why would I return to something that made me soooooo miserable and self-loathing? We all deserve better than that.
This is a real new start, make the most you can out of it :) x

well said hun thanks i needed that

lucy4loop couldnt agree with you more, i too find when im on a diet of some kind and especially a vlcd i think about past issues alot the first weeks are emotionally very hard for me cuz i think of all the issues i forced down with food , any emotion (especially about a long previous relationship) just sets me off, i know that around day 3 is when all that self hatred is gonna start kicking in but this time im determined to fight every negative thought with a positive.

I think binging / VLCD is probably the same thing you know ...its all or nothing .... thats me and all or nothing girl. If I dont eat anything then I am great .. if I eat something then I cant stop. So VLCD is suited to me just now and I pray that when I get slim I can control those demon binges by using the same self control I have been having to use the last few weeks.

help lucy ive binged im suppose to be on add a meal week but once i started i just couldnt stop. what is wrong with me

help lucy ive binged im suppose to be on add a meal week but once i started i just couldnt stop. what is wrong with me

Oh babe there's nothing wrong with you, you just had a lapse. Write it off, forget it and start afresh tomorrow. Please don't beat yourself up over it, stop it in it's tracks, accept it happened and move on. It will happen to us from time to time, it's how long we let it go on that counts. It's not the end of the world and it won't undo all that work you've done.
Sending you a massive hug, message me if you want to xxxxxxxxx

I have been a binge eater all my life, and i believe the only way to control it is follow basically a low carb diet. Its the carbs that set off the bingeing to start with, due to the high/low insulin swings it causes. Once you get over the intial body shock of low carbing, your appetite decreases and you stop obsessing about it. I fell into low carbing due to circumtances, but it has totally changed me, in many ways.

I have been a binge eater all my life, and i believe the only way to control it is follow basically a low carb diet. Its the carbs that set off the bingeing to start with, due to the high/low insulin swings it causes. Once you get over the intial body shock of low carbing, your appetite decreases and you stop obsessing about it. I fell into low carbing due to circumtances, but it has totally changed me, in many ways.

This is something that I think I have known for a while, but didn't want to believe!! It has always been carbs and sugar that have been a problem for me, I realise now that if I want to be free of that vicious cycle I really will have to (post VLCD) almost cut some things from my diet completely. This period of complete withdrawal has shown me that I can actually live without the stuff I thought I "needed". I'm nearing the point of starting "re-feeding", and not quite so frightened of it now. Not completely comfortable, but I've got a bit more trust in myself now!
Reckon I'll be digging out that low-carb cookbook I thought was just another fad diet a few years back :rolleyes:

Do you know what Lucy, I always knew this too, but the thing that scared me about it was the thought of having to give up pasta, rice, potatoes to an extent, and bread. Sweet stuff has never been an issue for me, but starchy carbs were an addiction, especially pasta. So i fought against the idea of giving them up, because i couldnt imagine not having pasta several times a week.

I had to go low carb due to meds i was on, otherwise i just got very sick, so it was a short sharp learning curve for me. Ive lost so much weight due to this, and i just dont crave carbs anymore, spicy food yes, but carbs no way. I dont even miss it.

This is also an interesting point about carbohydrate that i found on the Wiki

'It is worth noting that while there are Essential Fatty Acids(EFA) and Essential Amino Acids(EAA) there are no essential carbohydrates of any sort and while a diet devoid of EFA or EAA will result in eventual death, a diet completely without carbohydrates can be maintained indefinitely without health detriment'

Wiki link
Low-carbohydrate diet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So this means that our highly evolved bodies do not require carbohydrate to function, and we can do quite happliy without it. Which makes you wonder why we want it in the first place. Is it just an addicitive 'bad for us' substance like smoking and alcohol?

The wiki has quite a lot to say on low carb diets and the controversy surrounding them, and makes for very interesting reading.

its weird cos i was thining how many things come with carbs for example it says in the add a meal week low fat cottage cheese so the kids had one of those philadelphia light things with the dip in cracker/biscuits and i was thinking how can i just eat the cheese on its own so what did i do polish off both. also when i had my chicken in sauce and veg last saturday it was ok but so needed rice to soak up the juice. whatever i seem to go for just seems right to have carbs along side, tuna and bread, curry and rice etc we so need to be taught different

This has been a real eye opener. I have been a binge eater for uears and been to eating disorder groups etc. I have always wondered whether i shoudl just take food away completely and face my food fears head on. Do you recommend exante for this?

its weird cos i was thining how many things come with carbs for example it says in the add a meal week low fat cottage cheese so the kids had one of those philadelphia light things with the dip in cracker/biscuits and i was thinking how can i just eat the cheese on its own so what did i do polish off both. also when i had my chicken in sauce and veg last saturday it was ok but so needed rice to soak up the juice. whatever i seem to go for just seems right to have carbs along side, tuna and bread, curry and rice etc we so need to be taught different

You are right Spiro, we do need to be taught differently. Also carbs tend to be used as a filler for meals, its usually pretty cheap and bulks out the more expensive protein and fat food we eat with it. Have you ever really looked closely at low calorie 'diet' ready meals? I challenge you to find one that does not contain a carb such as pasta rice or potato or a flour based dumpling thing. Even Slimfast contains sugar!

Did anyone watch Jamie Olivers american show last night? He was dumbfounded to be told that children should be encouraged to have sweetened chocolate flavour milk or sweetened strawberry flavour milk, because any milk was good for them even if it did contain huge amounts of sugar.

Back