Bingeing... Why?!!?

Amazing how many people feel the same way, I used to binge good and proper and after you feel so ashamed but while you're doing it you really don't have any will power to stop it.

I've never made myself sick, being sick frightens me so that was never an option, instead I would think I'm always going to be fat so why bother dieting.

I find after dinner I'm craving sweet foods and given the chance I could binge of crisps and chocolate til I'm stuffed stupid.

I find now if i save my HE's for the night time I can have a sandwich later at night, cheese sandwich, fat free yogurt with options hot choc etc it feels like i'm binging but it's all part of the diet and it's helping me atm, I've got a huge sweet tooth so its normally that, that makes me struggle.

Hi everyone, I can relate to so much of what you are all saying. I buy multi packs of choc bars for the kids lunches, enough for over a week but within two days I'm having to buy more, because I've eaten them. I can eat 6-8 club bar one after the other. I don't know why I do it, cause it makes me feel sick and I know that chocolate gives me palpitations. But I can't seem to help myself. I will continue posting here, cos hopefully we can help each other out of the rut we are stuck in.

Glasgow celtic, I'm an uni student so I know where are you coming from. Right now I'm going through a phase of lots of stress and I tend to have a binge meal here and there because of it. But realising that it isn't a healthy way to cope with stress sometimes help me to to be minfull more often.
Hope you feel better now and I'm wishing the best for your exams.

Wanttolose2stone, there are more bingers out there than we realise. Just like us, people feel ashamed to talk about it and that's why you think that there are few. Plus, people usually look at slim people and doesn't take them serious. For example when I say I have a few binges under stress times others just say it's ok because I'm slim, but it isn't ok because it isn't an healthy way to cope with stress... Trust me, there are more people than we realise fighting food issues.
I am mantaining now, so if you want some tips when you reach maintenance feel free to ask :)

Thecactus, I visited your diary and I was worried with your vitamins intake, because it's to low. You're doing great on the calorie count and I want to congratulate you for that, but you need to make an effort to make better choices because your body needs nutrition. I imagine that it's a big battle you're going through to avoid the sweets/chocolates/chips but you can make that and you need to to avoid diseases like diabetes. I would suggest for you to try to reduce the sweet/fried meals to once a day and adding some fruits and veggies even if it's only a couple servings a day. You can make it, trust yourself;)

Pomooky125, it sounds like you're having a good day, well done;)

Lesely, congrats for your loss and, most important, congrats for using your strenght to finght against the urge to make yourself sick:) Tommorrow will be fun and you will be strong, trust yourself hun.

Muddle, you're fing a good balance between your cravings and a moderate way to deal with that;) What you're doing is very intelligent and I think that if the late night sandwich is helping you to stay on track the rest of the day it's worth it and it surely is better than a binge:) You're finding an healthy way to fit your sweet tooth on your daily menu without binging and you're planing it in advance so you're on the right way!

Hope everyone is having a nice Friday xx

Hi everyone, I can relate to so much of what you are all saying. I buy multi packs of choc bars for the kids lunches, enough for over a week but within two days I'm having to buy more, because I've eaten them. I can eat 6-8 club bar one after the other. I don't know why I do it, cause it makes me feel sick and I know that chocolate gives me palpitations. But I can't seem to help myself. I will continue posting here, cos hopefully we can help each other out of the rut we are stuck in.

Welcome Amanda,
I used to "snack" on a pack of 6 cereals bars in a single hour because of stress during exams. However, I've been learning to reduce it to a maximum of 2-3 cereal bars each time. I made it and you can make it as well. As the times goes I'm learning how to eat only one cereal bar at a time even if that means another snack 2 hours later.
The fight against binging/overeating is a learning journey and you can make it. Maybe you can use a gradual approach as I did and reducing the amounts until you reach the normal servings ;)

And you're right, we can help each other, so let's keep posting always we need to
xxx

Hi Aline & Amanda

The stuff about multipack bars rung a bell! I always buy these for my son's school snacks when they are on offer and scoff them myself then end up going out to buy them again! (Not much of a saving in the end).

Lesley - the barbie could be ok if you stick to the fish/meat and salads. It's a healthy kind of meal if you avoid sausages, burgers and the like. Well done on not making yourself sick. I can't do that as the thought of it makes me ill! (lol).

Muddle - I assume you're on SW which I considered but didn't know how the bingeing would fit in with this!

I had the chicken salad as planned with a dollop of tomato salsa and some 7up - well it looks like wine even if it tastes nothing like it. I've had 2 squares of lindt to satisfy the sugar craving. After my evening meal I always want something sweet unfortunately. The bad news is I put on 4 lbs of the 5 I have lost - can't face changing the ticker - so I am almost starting over again (been doing this 3 years now). I can't wait to move the ticker down to 6lbs lost, that will be a breakthrough :)

Keep posting everyone, it's good to have company, I always felt I was a bit on my own before but I guess it's something you don't generally chat about - that's the great thing about this site!

Pomooky XX

Hi everyone welcome amanda isnt it funny how we think we are the only ones who do these things with
Food and find we are not at all
Thanks for the tips about the barbie its when i eat and drink too much and i have this voice in my head saying your so greedy and i think i have to get rid of it and it will be like it never happened alories are all gone
In the past i would do things lie run the bath then no one can hear
I dont buy multi packs anymore just indivudual sweets for my kids because if i eat them i feel like im taking them out of their mouths and then i feel guilty about that
When i binge i kind of plan it i shop for it all rubbish usually then when im alone bam

Good luk everyone have a lovely easter xx

Hi can I join!!

I have eating issues! Either binging or starving and it's no way to live, at goal weight and struggling to maintain. Feel hungry all the time.

I went to my first overeater anonymous meeting last night and found it helpful, has anyone tried those??

I am attempting to eat three meals a day 600 cals each well balanced to maintain my weight and completely avoid things u binge on chocolate, biscuits, crisps, white bread, sweets ....................

Today is going to be hard as lots of choc about

Good to have found this thread!!

Xxxxx

hi everyone,

I've been reading but not posting ... my internal good wishes to you all are not seen unless I post, so here I go. Hello everyone, I hope you have a good day today. Its great that so many are joining in here now - not good that so many are binging of course - but great that we can help each other.

This month has been interesting for me. I've realised that I've not quite beaten the battle of the binge yet so need to be vigilant and take care of my needs.

I am a long way down the way of not needing to do it anymore but I'm aware now that this is a part of my personality. If I get a new stress its likely that my response will be a binge unless I can catch myself and see what I'm doing. Which is what I'm trying to do.

This month hasn't been very good weight loss wise, I've regained a few of my pounds but I'm not updating my stats as I lost them and am sure they will go again. SOON :)

However I am feeling stronger and happier and feeling better around eating and have rejoined a SW group for a real life focus.

Right now I've a real bad back ache and the arthritis in my elbow is bad again so I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself physically, hope I'll feel better after a good wallow in the bath that's running for me.

Hugs and a happy saturday to you all

Hi Micci

Glad to hear you are feeling more upbeat. I have managed to get rid of one of the pounds that crept back on and I'm off into town (hence early post) for a little retail therapy. Hope the warm bath does the trick. I have backache too - I must start to do some exercises again to loosen up my joints.

The weather is lovely which is always helpful food wise. Salad/fruit seem more appealing and there's no hiding in my coat! :)

Pomooky XX

Louise - Hope you have a lovely Easter. It's sad there are so many bingers but a comfort to have people to chat/offload to!

I feel much better today not having binged or had any alcohol yesterday. I have to try to keep focussed and keep looking at Minimins! Have you read the thread on here - All about Fred? - it helped me a lot to realise that it comes down to me and my self-control in the end. And, to stop making excuses to stuff myself silly every time something doesn't quite go right for me or as a reward (I also binge when I'm happy!??)

All the best Pomooky XX

Hello everyone,

Today I'm not at my best, I binged today and binged last night too :( but I know there are better ways to deal with stress and I will. I even lied to my boyfriend today and said I was very busy writing an essay so I couldn't be with him during the afternoon, but the truth is that I'm feeling low because of my binge and I preffer to be alone.
I'm hoping (and I will) feel better later...

Lesley,
I also binge only when I'm alone and I lie about it (just like I did today with my boyfriend, but I'm too ashamed to tell him the real reason to not spend the afternoon with him and I'm not sure if he would understand).

Louise,
I'm on maintenance as well, sometimes it seems as harder as losing weight, but we'll get there and find a balance!

Micci,
Your input in always so usefull to read, you're very wise and your strenght to look at the bright side of things and positivity is inspiring:) Hope your back heals soon.

Pomooky,
Well done for staying away from binges and alcohol;)

xx

Hi guys hope you are all doing ok
Aline dont feel bad about your binge just try and put it behind you easier said than done i know
Maybe try and think what was happening when you binged how were you feeling
I also had a bad nite went barbecue and had way too much to eat and drink and because it eas my neighbour havng barbie i made an excuse to pop home to my empty house and im sure you can all guess what happened next
Why can i just not show restraint at anything lie this why is it i have to eat until im so full i can hardly breathe
Its a new day today tho and im ok
Hope you are all having a nice easter sunday lesley x

Hi Lesley

Glad you're feeling better today. Yeah, I know how you feel - angry with yourself and wondering why you do it to yourself?? We've all done it and will all probably have binging bouts in the future. The thing is to try and do it less often and have some control over events.

I get panicky when there is something going off - a family visit, a drink or two (or 5) or some change to my routine. I just can't cope with it at all. I feel a bit pathetic really and wish I could just take these things in my stride. For some reason I was starving today and so ate a bag of crisps and a cereal bar in the afternoon - I am now struggling not to go the whole hog!

Well, I hope it's lovely weather for you too and that you keep strong and keep posting! :)

Pomooky XX

Lesley,
I'm feeling much better today, thank you:)
Yesterday was very frustrating (the cause was stress about university evaluations, thesis, etc) but today I took a break from all the essays and it was good. It was very balanced, ate lots of veggies, fruits, ... and even a tiny cup of chocolate mousse and went cyclong with my boyfriend. I feel I'm ready to come back to essays writting tomorrow;)
I'm sorry you went through an hard time yesterday but you're a strong woman and today is a fresh start:)

Pomooky,
I can relate, I also feel anxious and stressed about routine changes (and also during exams, thesis, etc) and sometimes I go the wrong route to cope with stress and overeat/binge.
Stay strong Pomooky and don't go the whole hog, you can beat that feeling :)

xx

Hi everyone,

Wishing us all strength and joy for today

Micci xxx

Wow! I am so glad I am not the only one going through this.... Not happy u guys are either... But makes me feel more comfortable. I posted a thread and my story is in their. But holy cow every one seems to have an issue they struggle w with eating issues. I'm so glad ppl do understand and can relate.
I do not binge, but do purge. And I feel horrible doing it, but much betty after.
I think there is so much pressure to b thin in today society.
Wish u all the best

:DHi everyone!

Whew! Easter's over and I'm already worried about Christmas!

Did well yesterday and on track today so far. I hope to get down the tracker again to where I was before (not too far) and then start again. I am conscious that summer is on its way and I promised myself I wouldn't spend another one trying to hold in my stomach and looking for floaty tops :)

My (middle) age is not helping as my body has changed shape and most of the weight is around my middle but the rest of me looks loose and flabby and kind of empty! Oh, the joys of getting older. When I was younger (and fatter) I looked much nicer - kind of bumptious, round and firm but old fat looks much worse. You know rice pudding, well....

So on that note - look what you've got to look forward to if you don't shift it now - put that pack of biscuits right back where it was!

Pomooky XX

Back