Bingeing... Why?!!?

TJ,
well done on the loss:) Healthy eating and exercise is the way to go;)

Well done TJ - that's an amazing loss in one week!

I'm ok, haven't binged for a fortnight now. My obsession with the scales continues though. I weigh morning and evening and write it down in my diary and hop on almost every time I go into the bathroom. Ho hum - another thing to work on lol!

Krupskaya,
Well done for staying away from binges.
Do you live with someone that knows about your struggle with constant weighing? I imagine that it would be extremelly hard for you, but maybe you could ask someone to hide the scales and show it to you only once a week from the weekly WI... I belive you would feel very anxious without the scales at beggining but maybe that would help you in the long run.
I wish I could help more. Anyway, focus on your victories so far, you haven't been binging and that already a great achievement, so one step at a time;)

x

xx

Hi guys, been gone a few days. I'm doing good, haven't purged one time!
Think I nay be strong enough to re start my slim fast as I've gained back 4-6 pounds and very sad about that.
So I'm gonna re start again and hope to loose 20 pounds. Wish me luck!!

TJ - well done! That's great stuff!

Krupskaya and Micci - I haven't binged for 5 days but I don't know why. I feel exactly the same mentally/emotionally as when I do binge. I think I sometimes just get sick of myself and my ridiculous problem and just want to be normal for a while. I wish I knew how/why I stopped as I could put it into gear more often.

I feel better in myself - a bit more confident but I'm hoping to drop some weight as well as stopping the binges. I am trying to control portion sizes and cut out snacks as my meals are quite healthy anyway. I never eat fried food or full fat stuff (I don't like it) which is ironic considering the amount of chocolate I can put away on a binge! However, I can easily eat half a ton of brown rice or snack on heaps of dried fruit and seeds which of course have loads of calories.

Mandy - great to hear from you, don't worry about those pesky pounds - you're stronger now and will soon see the back of them :)

Aline - glad to hear you got over the bruschetta experimentation! Bread is soo tempting - it's really comforting and filling but I always want more. I stopped buying loaves as it's easy to cut off another slice - rolls are far less tempting!

Pomooky XX

Hi guys

I have had had two binges in 2 weeks one lasting 2 days and both together causing 5.5 pound weight gain!

So annoyed with myself but on day 2 of no binging. For me it's brought on when I have a small bit of something ie a biscuit then I find I can't stop till eaten loads and loads of chocolate, but back on board today and hope I can do this

Hole you all are ok xxx

Mandy,
I'm so glad for you, you are a strong woman and you just showed yourself you're stronger than the purging urge;)
I understand you aren't happy with the gain, but it wasn't that much, plus your eating behaviour is so much healthier now! So, one step at a time:) First you focus on stop the purges, then you can start thinking about a propper plan to steady weight loss. You can make it hun, keep going
xx

Pomooky,
Bread is really tempting, but today I managed to eat only two slices of it so I'm glad I didn't overeat the stuff;)

It's nice to know that you're feeling better in yourself. Maybe that's why you haven't been binging. You feel confident and better in your skin and you treat your body better as well:)

Louise,
You can do this, you're doing it right now for the second day in a row:)

xx

Good morning everyone and welcome aboard the thread Louise.

I've been reading a fascinating book - have been advertising it on just about every thread I post on recently - about the psychology of over eating/binging/weight loss.

The author says of course we all know how to lose weight, its easy, all you have to do is eat less and exercise more. So, she says, how come its so hard? How come so many people lose weight with low calorie diets in one one way or the other and then pile the weight back on?

She says that we are all hard wired for survival. Very very early humans didn't know where the next meal was coming from and to survive we had to eat what we could when we could. Famine prompted even more eating whenever food became available. So when we eat less, or even contemplate eating less then our primitive brain over rides anything else we might try to do one one level and thinks 'Help, famine - EAT EAT EAT' She talks too about the Ancell Keys experiment, how very very screwed up around food and eating those previously healthy (in mind and body) men became.

She also likens over eating to OCD, how brain scans of people with OCD show one portion of the brain having intense activity that is driving them to do the compulsive action, good news is she also talks about how to change the brain action.

Its a good book with lots in it - another chapter is about using food as a drug. We all know how when times are hard we - those of us who over eat rather than drink, shoot up heroin or whatever - can binge? She talks about some studies with rats. Now me, I'm rather unhappy about animal tests like these but at least one group of rats seems to have had a happier environment. LOTS of experiments were done that showed how easily rats get addicted to heroin if you give them a choice of waters, one with and one without heroin. Apparently some more scientists took this a step further. Observing that something all these poor rats had in common was that they all lived in cages, not an environment that rats like.

So they got some rats and gave them a great home, with hidey holes, burrowing places and these rats in the happy homes were not interested in the heroin at all. Even if it was offered to them in very sugary water, something rats love. They would only take the drugged sugary water if it also had another drug in it to neutralise the heroin. Then they put some rats into this better environment that had previously been addicted and they too didn't want drugs anymore.

So there are some more chapters about changing your own environment to being a better place for you, and a healthier environment to lose weight in. She does this all in very small and gentle steps and I'm feeling quite inspired. Except I've got really dispirited as I've been gaining again and don't really know why. I've been beginning to think that weight loss is just something I can't do and have been sabotaging myself to prove the point.

Eh, I think I've typed myself into dusting the dust off and starting again.

Krupskaya,
Well done for staying away from binges.
Do you live with someone that knows about your struggle with constant weighing? I imagine that it would be extremelly hard for you, but maybe you could ask someone to hide the scales and show it to you only once a week from the weekly WI... I belive you would feel very anxious without the scales at beggining but maybe that would help you in the long run.
I wish I could help more. Anyway, focus on your victories so far, you haven't been binging and that already a great achievement, so one step at a time;)

Hi Aline - Thankyou for your kind reply:). I live alone so no one knows about my scales obsession. I'm suffering with really bad anxiety at the mo and just concentrating on not bingeing so as you say, I need to take one step at a time. I fear if I decided to be too strict with the scales it would make me worse and at the moment I couldn't handle that.

Hi Mandy - don't worry too much about your small gain, you'll get that off in no time. Congrats on not bingeing/purging, you're doing really well. Good luck getting rid of your last 20lbs!

Hi Pomooky - no binges for five days - that's fantastic! Go you! Like you, I've cut out snacks between meals as I get everything I need having 3-4 meals a day. Something must be working as at my (official) weigh in this morning I lost 2lbs, taking me into the ten stone bracket (just - 10st 13). I haven't been this weight for years so I'm really chuffed. Only 1st 6 to go to target.

Hi Louise - a very warm welcome to you and congrats on not bingeing for two days - I know it's hard but keep on keeping on, you can do it! I understand what you mean about wanting to binge after eating something - the 'once you pop you can't stop' syndrome. I get that too.

Hi Micci - that book sounds dead interesting. Thanks for letting us know about it. You might have mentioned it (head's in the shed this morning) but what is it called? I think I'd like to get it myself.

A happy wednesday to all of you lovely ladies. I'm so glad I stumbled upon this section of the site, you're a grand bunch of women and I can so identify. Thankyou.

I hear u have to train your body hoe to eat once you've started binge eating. You don't know how to portion control.
As I dint binge but have suffered from purging, have any considered trying the plate portion?? It's specially designed to portion your food for you. Like for dinner. Instead of eating everything in site ?
Well I started skimfast today, and am hoping I can control my urges! It was a nice break eating normal foods and keeping it down.
But I think its time to start sf again healthy way.
I hear and experienced once you stop a diet and go back on, its faster weight lost. So ill b so happy if I loose 10-15 right off the bat, a.d just will need to work hard at the last 5 :) I dunno we will see.

Micci,
Thank you for making a brief of the book, I'm sure it'll help us towards a better understanding of things. The article you shared a link is also very informative.

I'm coming here because I too need to start again and dust the dust after a very bad afternoon. It was very nice to hear and read your posts because I binged today and I'm sure the lack of breakfast and late lunch (not on purpose, I was late to uni and I didn't care about grab a quick something) contributed to my binge. Once I had time to eat I was so hungry that being sensible and aware of eating didn't happen. After a while I realised I was overeating but I though "in for a penny in for a pound", not smart at all...

Kruspkaya,
I'm going through a very anxious phase too. I'm doing a thesis and being always evaluated (I'm a trainee too)... sometimes I wonder if it was a right decision to follow a masters degree, all this statistical investigation is nauseating myself, I lack motivation for this kind of investigation and sometimes I wish I'd have a life a bit more simple. I learn a lot but the more we learn and the more we study the higher are our responsabilities and the higher are the others expectations on us... I'm going through a low confidence, high anxiety phase.
Anyway, we'll all overcome this anxiety feeling;)

Mandy,
I think portion control is usefull for everyone, even for those who don't binge;) Maybe that'll help you lose the last pounds.

Thank you all for listening to me

xx

Aline

Don't be to hard on yourself about the bad afternoon. How are you now - have you stopped? If so, that's a great achievement - you haven't gone into the "don't care zombie mentality" and carried on binging.

You've got a lot on at the moment and it must make you very anxious being evaluated; remember, it's your work they're evaluating, not you.

Make sure you get your Weetabix or whatever tomorrow and look after yourself! ;)

Pomooky XX

Thank you for your supportive words Pomooky.
I stopped the binge one hour before I post here this afternoon (it was around an hour binge) but to be honest I ate until I feel stuffed so I couldn't eat more anyway.

And you're right, they're evaluating my work and my work is part of me, but I'm much more than my work:)

Tomorrow I have to work during the day and then I'll have a dinner out with my collegues. It will be nice to end the day with some fun instead of stress for a change :p

xx

Yaaagh! I knew I was going to do it - I've been and gone and binged!!! I've stopped now cos I feel sick and it's late. I was desperate to pig out but can't think why. Got a bit stressed when I came home from work, rushing around doing stuff that no-one notices anyway. Then I have my TOTM in 4 days. Otherwise no probs. I know I can gain a kilo with a binge and I'm frustrated that this down 2 lbs, up 1 lb is going to be a slooow loss.

My goal was 31 May!! 3 weeks away!! What a complete idiot!

I had (apart from normal food) a kit kat, a club, 2 Foxs Amber biscuits, 6 squares of Lindt! This is a mini-binge for me, it's normally much much more but oh, do I feel queasy! It's almost funny - I can look at myself and laugh. I actually feel quite positive and relieved now I've done it. I was dreading it happening and now its OVER and DONE with. (??)

Pomooky XX (bring on tomorrow)

ps Lesley are you gonna join me back on the wagon :)?

In bed now, safely tucked up with the laptop and the daily mail. Teeth brushed, mini-teenager dusted off to bed and all is calm once more.

Feel a bit high - must be the chocolate!

Sleep tight everyone - back in the zone tomorrow!

Pomooky XX

Pomooky,
My TOTM is coming in the next 3 days and that doesn't help.
Your binge doesn't sound too bad and it's nice to know you're feeling better now.

Good night everyone!

I suppose it's the human need for gratification and if we feel empty emotionally, life isn't going as we quite hoped. Then some little voice tells us that the plate of chips, piece of cake, bar of chocolate...whatever, is going to fill the void (for a moment) But does it, no it doesn't. We just end up hating ourselves, feeling guilty, and the cycle breeds more comfort eating.

That's my problem exactly. I suppose I overeat because I'm lonely. Also, overeating seems like fun when I do it. Which it isn't really, of course. I've had a weight gain each of the past three weeks, and it's made me angry with myself. Which is not at all fun!

You also mention that thing of eating food rather than see it go in the bin. I've struggled with that as I was bought up to believe that wasting food was one of the worst sins ever.

Now, I see it as just as much a waste if I eat something I don't need. It passes through me into the sewers and gives me no benefit. The opposite in fact. So now I do my very best not to treat myself as a rubbish bin. It is a struggle though - I'm just feeling rather positive today.

I hate to waste anything (I'm a hoarder!), food included. To see it as a waste to eat it like you've put there though makes so much sense. I'll try and think of that in future! Also, in the past when I've said "I'd hate to see it go to waste" and eaten something, my mum has said "It'll go to your waist" - I should keep that in mind too :D

To have a natural relationship with food is my true goal

Me too.

A few people on this thread have mentioned fasting and really limiting what they eat. What Micci said about VLC diets really makes sense - it's not natural! Personally, I find that limiting myself makes me want to rebel.

:17729:

Also, a really restricted diet is not a long-term solution - it's about eating healthily for life. I'm on Weight Watchers, which encourages you to eat a healthy, balanced diet, which is supposed to be sustainable for life. It will be for me in the long term, but in the short term I still want to rebel against counting points and just eat what I want! Once I get my head together though, I won't want to do that, because it doesn't really make sense.

something I find useful is writing/typing my thoughts - somehow it keeps the thoughts coming for me. Why not start a diary or a blog?

Yeah, that works for me too. I also have a sketchbook which I've found to be a great distraction lately :) Even being on these forums today has helped!

Hugs to all x :grouphugg:

(I've only read to the end of page 3 so far - posting now or else I'll get a bit tl;dr :D)

Hey, I love this thread and all of here :)

I was feeling so bad and down that I was actually avoiding this whole site, food, me, my fatness, it just isn't working as I want it too. But coming back here does feel encouraging to me, thanks everyone for being here.

We've all had good days and bad times. Pomooky, you binged, but not like you've known binges in the past, Aline, you pigged out one afternoon and have moved on from there. The purgers here seem to be doing massively better too. So can I convince myself and the rest of us that we are on the upward path. Upwards to healing I mean?

Hi Shrinking Violet, nice to see another hoarder here too. I'm trying to lessen my load of useful stuff but heck, how can anyone call any individual book unnecessary? Yet collectively they line all my walls on double stacked untidy shelves and do feel like too much. Ditto clothes, and nice china, and food that was a complete bargain and nice as well so it makes sense to stockpile ....all the rest of it too ..

Hi

I love this thread too - I felt like I was the only one with this problem before before and would never have opened up to anyone about this. I feel I can say exactly how I feel on this site - even admitting when I have failed and been a pig!

I felt especially bad because I am at an age where it's expected that you are mature in mind as well as body and most people associate this kind of thing with young people. My doctor says this is not so and there are many people of my age who binge.

It's nice to be supported by so many obviously intelligent, strong women. I often think now as I wander around or sit on the bus "is he or she a binger, anorexic or whatever?". I tended to think before that everyone else was doing ok but who knows if that Elle MacPherson lookalike is going home to stuff her face with jaffa cakes?! :)

A lot of it is confidence and I guess I do feel more confident than 6 months ago and 5lbs lighter, so that is progress indeed!

Thanks everyone .. Pomooky XX

Back