BMI 25 rule...

Enough

Gold Member
Just wondering what exactly this is, and how it works...

Is it right that you can only start SS on CD if you're over BMI 25 (?plus a stone, or something?)... and does that mean that once you're at exactly BMI 25 you have to come off SS, even if you're not at the end of 12 weeks (like, eight weeks, for example)...

And does this count for SS+ as well?

I know this isn't directly relevant to me right now, but I want to plan it/time it right, cause I was hoping to do SS or SS+ after I've done 12 weeks, and had a week or two of 810...

Thanks for your advice!

Vicki x

Yes-the minute you hit BMI 25 you have to go up to 810 at least :)

Last edited:
haha - yeah.. posted this before I saw your reply.. a bit distracted by my OH getting me to work out how far back I can go in the garden before broad band cuts out! Haha - fun, but distracting! Haha! :D

Hey sorry for going off topic and hijacking the thread, but I just wondered why Lipotrim allows people to remain on TFR even when their BMI drops below 25. I understand it's under different management, but surely they should have similar principles to CD?

Maybe more calories a day?

I think it is NICE guidelines that stipulate this?
WIthout knowing both plans I doubt people will be able to advise about the differences :)
x

Maybe more calories a day?

I think it is NICE guidelines that stipulate this?
WIthout knowing both plans I doubt people will be able to advise about the differences :)
x

Thanks Tillyfloss :) I just wondered what the difference was between them.

Hey sorry for going off topic and hijacking the thread, but I just wondered why Lipotrim allows people to remain on TFR even when their BMI drops below 25. I understand it's under different management, but surely they should have similar principles to CD?

Hiya! :) ...what IS lipotrim?? (until I found minimins, I had never heard of most of these diets!!

Vx

Welcome to the Lipotrim Website

Its a 3 a day shake program monitored by chemist/GP's. Weekly check ups at GP's and you pick up shakes at pharmacies

Only get 3 flavours of shakes though

• [*]Drinks - vanilla, strawberry or chocolate (vanilla and chocolate flavours can also be prepared as a mousse instead of a drink)
    [*]Chicken soup
    [*]Flapjacks - coconut or peanut butter flavours (both varieties contain peanuts)

Yes, the principles are similar and they are both VLCDs. I'm not sure why LT people can do the diet under BMI25.

Perhaps LT folk follow different guidelines.

CD follows the N.I.C.E. ones. Think LL does too.

I know that the NICE guidelines say that you can't VLCD for more than 12 weeks at a time.

I quote:
Conventional VCLD programmes can be used continuously for up to 12 weeks

And I guess that they stipulate VLCDs for overweight people rather than those who are at a healthy weight, (though haven't got a quote for that :D) so you would have to come off once you were in the health weight bracket.

I know from my own research though, that there is more possibility of losing lean mass as you get closer to goal. Perhaps LT have more protein to combat this. Dunno really :confused:

Thanks for that KD :) I think the concept of introducing food when you reach a healthy BMI on CD is good, as it makes it slightly easier during maintenance.

Hiya! :) ...what IS lipotrim?? (until I found minimins, I had never heard of most of these diets!!

Vx

Hey,
It's just like CD as it's total food replacement diet, however it's slightly less structured as you do not go up plans. You stay on the shakes until goal then refeed gradually. I hadn't heard of it until I came on minimins either ;)

x

i did lipotrim for a few weeks and once your bmi is 24.9 you have to refeed using maintance shakes and bars instead of the vlcd one's

if chemist are selling to people with a bmi of 24.9 and lower it's against their guildlines
however i have read people putting weights in their pockets to get another week etc very sad when it's putting their health at such a risk

Reactions: KD
i did lipotrim for a few weeks and once your bmi is 24.9 you have to refeed using maintance shakes and bars instead of the vlcd one's

if chemist are selling to people with a bmi of 24.9 and lower it's against their guildlines

Many thanks for the clarification there. I've often wondered. Cool

when I was on LT they told me you had to be 3st or more overweight to participate but I know for sure the pharmacy was letting people on it for 10lb loss. It was not through my doctor at all, doc not even notified. Some people were on LT for 25 weeks without food passing their lips(LT has a 2 week refeed programme only). this is why I changed to CD and my doctor changed me to CD. At least CD monitor what you do and put you through steps of refeeding every 12 weeks as should be. CD is much healthier.....and the flapjacks in LT are vile!!

My CDC has said that I can carry on with SS even when I am under 25 BMI - she's been a CDC for 25 years so I trust what she says but this thread has me worried now.

Jan

My CDC has said that I can carry on with SS even when I am under 25 BMI - she's been a CDC for 25 years so I trust what she says but this thread has me worried now.

Jan

I don't know where she got that information but it's totally incorrect.

It is dangerous to be on such a LCD once you are at a healthy weight, and you also start losing lean mass instead of fat.

Perhaps tell her you read on the internet that you couldn't do SS under a BMI of 25 and ask her if she can check it for you, so that she will be able to discover she is incorrect herself. I worry what she has been telling her other CDc customers.

Something I'd like clarified if possible, is when you are supposed to go off SS. I imagine you'd play it as it comes, but do you wait until the first weigh in that tells you that you are under 25, then start straight away, or do you have to go onto it a few lbs before you'd reach 25, to ensure that if during the week you lose several pounds, you won't be on SS when you aren't supposed to.

Anyone get what I mean? :p

EG - my BMI 25 comes at 10 stone 1.5 lbs.

So if I had a weigh in saying I was at 10.3, would I wait for next weeks weigh in when I may be 10.1, or 10 stone, and *then* go onto 810 plan, or would I go on it once it said around 10.3, so that I wouldn't be on SS during the latter part of the week when I may drop below a healthy BMI.

Asked this question loads of times, never got an answer!

Something I'd like clarified if possible, is when you are supposed to go off SS. I imagine you'd play it as it comes, but do you wait until the first weigh in that tells you that you are under 25, then start straight away, or do you have to go onto it a few lbs before you'd reach 25, to ensure that if during the week you lose several pounds, you won't be on SS when you aren't supposed to.

It's best to work through SS+ onto 810 if you can, and since SS+ is still a VLCD, you would need to start that before the BMI25 mark.

How soon before really depends on the rate you usually lose. So if you are a very quick loser, start it earlier;)

It's difficult to give exact advice to the pound as we tend to lose differently, but just say you lose approx 3lbs a week, if you are 3lbs above BMI25, at a weigh in, then it would be good to do that week on SS+, followed by 810 as soon as you hit BMI25. Losing quicker, then spend less time on SS+

Don't get too caught up in the figures though. Doing SS+ and suddenly finding you've dropped a few pounds at the next weigh in taking you to under BMI25, isn't going to hurt. But once those scales have dipped below the mark, you need to be moving up. Common sense dictates at the end of the day.

So to clarify. Weigh in about 3 to 4 pounds above BMI25, then do SS+ for a week. Then when your weigh in shows BMI 25 hit the 810.

Hope that helps :)

Jan

Don't worry, but please bring this up with your CDC. Remind her of what the book says ie
Step 1A (SS) Who is this step intended for?
Anyone who is overweight (BMI greater that 25) etc

Step 1B (SS+) Who is this step intended for?
Anyone who is overweight (BMI greater that 25) etc

Step 2 (around 810) Who is this step intended for?
Anyone who wishes to lose weight, whose BMI is over 20 etc.

She can also contact Cambridge for further clarification :)

Back