BMI >>> accurate stats? OR >>> pile of rubbish?

pixar

has to be done this year
I personally agree and think that the so called BMI hype is just a pile of rubbish. I think its just a ROUGH guide and NOT an accurate stat info, but yet its making people feel sad and shocked when they look at the chart and match up their weight against their height. According to the chart I'm obese and honestly i just look chubby. not obese. Your height cant determine your weight, everyone has a different built, remember the scales don't weight fat ONLY> two woman at the same height, one who's narrow with a very small bone structure will not weigh the same as a lady who has a fuller figure. Or you cant expect one man who's lean and another very muscular at the same height to weigh the same. So please next time you look at the BMI don't go :eek:. Just loose weight until you look and feel good xxx

As a size 16 I wouldnt say I was obese either but I do have 5 stone to lose so maybe I am!

I'm not just 'obese'...apparently I am Class 2 Obese! Which is just AWESOME hahaha ICK. I'll know when I am happy and won't care what some chart tells me. :eek:

I was obese but im now overweight, im aiming for a healthy bmi for better health. I think its just a rouh guide and only you know when you look and feel good, for me its defo a healthy bmi weight.

Sadly looking and feeling ok isn't the whole picture. Research shows time and time again people who have a higher than normal BMI have a much much greater risk of heart attacks and type 2 diabetes and mortality is so much higher. If you have a high BM1 chances are that extra fat is stored around your vital organs compressing them. The variants of normal BM1 are wide to account for build differences.

Yer I do agree that the BMI chart has a rough guide to show us where we are with out weight, but I DONT think its accurate info, for example my cousin who is my height, shes literally half the size of me and I don't mean this in weight wise, I mean her shoulders and hips are a lot narrower and she has no bust nothing, just a very petite frame, so surely me and her cant be the SAME weight just because we are the same height?? if we weighed the same, I would be skinny looking next to her where as she would just look healthy slim and this is because the scales don't weight just fat, so please don't be too harsh on yourself if you think you look good but the BMI says your border line over weight or something like that because everyones an individual. xxx

i don't go by bmi,,my hubby is a marathon runner and according to his bmi he is obese,,the guy doesnt have an ounce of fat on him.but i suppose there has to be some sort of guideline for people to go by:)

exactly my point yummymummy75:) this is what I was trying to point out that the BMI is just a rough guide, obviously it has some accuracy, someone who is 6 ft cant weigh the same as someone who is 5 ft because they have extra bones in their body due to their height and this is going to weigh heavier on the scales, but people who are built and muscular will probably weigh heavier than the results on the BMI chart.

Sadly looking and feeling ok isn't the whole picture. Research shows time and time again people who have a higher than normal BMI have a much much greater risk of heart attacks and type 2 diabetes and mortality is so much higher. If you have a high BM1 chances are that extra fat is stored around your vital organs compressing them. The variants of normal BM1 are wide to account for build differences.
Thats what i meant. For me i want to be healthy and have a heathy bmi but there are alot of people who are more content with a bmi thats a little over healthy. I know i look better at a bmi of around 23-24 so thats what im aiming for. Ive looked on the photographic height/weight chart (heres the link http://www.minimins.com/news-please-read/180767-photographic-height-weight-chart.html ) and shows you how different people look at different weights, its worth having a look at.

Surely it would be better for people to go on fat percentage rather than BMI?? I have scales that measure the fat and water in my body i am hoping to get mine into the healthy range!

For a woman like me in her 30's that should be between 21 and 33% ...i am 41% at the mo :(

I believe that bmi is a good area to go as there's a large and it's up to the person to stay within the range where there comfortable. It's healthy guide really I believe, but your right George colony is obese on bmi due to muscle weight. Studies have shown the more fat around your stomach and internal organs increases your chance if cancer and many various terminal diseases ;(

So I believe in bmi but follow till you feel healthy whether it's the lower end of it or higher. My bmi weight is healthy between 9.5-11.7 stone or something, but I know 9 stone is where I'd be too skinny and my head world just look massive :(

men who are muscular or woman who are really busty curvy with big hips etc will not weigh the same weight as someone else at their height with a diff built. I do think this height thing matching your weight is a bit over rated, Im 5ft 4 and according to the BMI I can be in the 8 stone range and still be healthy, but I know within myself that if I was to drop lower than 9 st I would look really skinny, I know this from experience because I was 9 st 7 lbs 3 years back and everyone was saying how they could see my ribs and I remember thinking Im starting to look a bit too thin esp at the top half, so I cant imagine what I would be like in the 8 stone range...

men who are muscular or woman who are really busty curvy with big hips etc will not weigh the same weight as someone else at their height with a diff built. I do think this height thing matching your weight is a bit over rated, Im 5ft 4 and according to the BMI I can be in the 8 stone range and still be healthy, but I know within myself that if I was to drop lower than 9 st I would look really skinny, I know this from experience because I was 9 st 7 lbs 3 years back and everyone was saying how they could see my ribs and I remember thinking Im starting to look a bit too thin esp at the top half, so I cant imagine what I would be like in the 8 stone range...
So the BMI range is accurate for you and most others (unless an athlete) To be in a healthy weight range at 5' 4" you can be ANYWHERE between 7 stone 12lb and 10 stone 5lb. So you decide between that range what you are happiest with. You do not need to be at the bottom or at the top of the range. Within this range you greatly reduce your health risks

I see your point brightrosie. I know I couldn't be at the end of healthy range for my height as I would be too skinny at 7st 12lb. I understand what your saying, that I can be in that healthy range at anywhere (beginning, end) and would still be in my healthy range. Maybe the BMI chart is flexible as it don't allow you to be a certain weight but rather gives you a range of weights you can be for that height ex:- 9st - 10.7st so anywhere in that would be ok ..but some people seem to have this FIXED weight for your height, for example if your 5ft 4 you should be something like 8 st 7 and anymore your considered fat. When you give your height to someone, people are quick to give you a weight you should be for that height and if you tell them you your half stone more than this, they are quick to judge you and say well you must be fat then..this is what annoys me.....

I see your point brightrosie. I know I couldn't be at the end of healthy range for my height as I would be too skinny at 7st 12lb. I understand what your saying, that I can be in that healthy range at anywhere (beginning, end) and would still be in my healthy range. Maybe the BMI chart is flexible as it don't allow you to be a certain weight but rather gives you a range of weights you can be for that height ex:- 9st - 10.7st so anywhere in that would be ok ..but some people seem to have this FIXED weight for your height, for example if your 5ft 4 you should be something like 8 st 7 and anymore your considered fat. When you give your height to someone, people are quick to give you a weight you should be for that height and if you tell them you your half stone more than this, they are quick to judge you and say well you must be fat then..this is what annoys me.....
Yes that would annoy me too.xxx

Back