Boots wouldn't sell me any ketosticks :-(

I asked my pharmasist about testing your urine, she said they do i only if you feel rubbish, but then told me that if there are traces of ketones in your urine that its dangerous and you can die?! should i ask for one? does every one have it every week? i read that you should have it tested weekly? x

I asked my pharmasist about testing your urine, she said they do i only if you feel rubbish, but then told me that if there are traces of ketones in your urine that its dangerous and you can die?! should i ask for one? does every one have it every week? i read that you should have it tested weekly? x

Is your pharmacist actually qualified Katherine? cos her 'advice' suggests that she hasn't got a clue what she's talking about! Ketosis is a state of the boody whereby your liver has used up all the glycogen in it and you start burning your fat stores. On the plus side it has a brilliant effect on your appetite (don't confuse appetite with food cravings!) and stops you feeling hungry, it can also make you feel quite euphoric, ie give you a bit of a buzz and increased energy. On the minus side - you really must avoid alcohol cos your liver can't cope with it. Just google 'ketosis' and you'll find loads of info. You can buy ketostix on the internet but if you're doing LT 100% you will be in ketosis. Hope this helps?

Thats fabulous, thanks. I think my pharmacist is qualified :confused: she did explain everything to me about how it works and stuff, it was the bit about it 'being able to kill you but we wont test you' that worried me, do you get tested every week as standard that there arent ketones in your blood?

I dont think im in it yet, because my tummy rumbles all day ha.

Look forward to being 'in' it!

Thanks so much for your help x

Katherine, I think your pharmacist is getting ketosis mixed up with acidoketosis, which is a very dangerous condition in diabetics. This is what the sticks are really for. Testing diabetics as if they get ketones in their urine it can cause a huge problem. For you and I doing a low carb diet and detecting the ketones this way, it's fine. We should be showing ketones on the sticks :) And no, I don't get tested at all at my pharmacy. No point really :) xx

Thanks Jayne, I wont worry then :) x

Back