'Britain's fattest teenager' regains weight after losing 14st

err, no, not comparing it to buying a car at all?

Just saying that I had no teaching at school about mechanics, so when my car breaks down and I can't fix it, it must be the education system's fault no?

17 is well old enough. I regularly looked after my cousin's children and cooked balanced dinners for them.

And my comments were equally aimed at her mum too. She is old enough to know better.

I am 17 years old, and to be honest if you are so incompetent to not realize scarfing down an entire bag of Cheetos is not healthy for you at the age of 17, then you should definitely get some help. I am fully capable of fixing my own food, watching my calorie intake, and exercising and so are all of my friends. In my Nutrition class we learned how to cook healthy, quick meals, as well as the vitamins you need, fruits, vegetables, meats, grains, dairy products, EVERYTHING you need to know that it's not good to eat junk food. Granted not everyone has had that education as a 17 year old, but instead of blaming education, and complaining about it CHANGE IT.

Yes I am a bit overweight (considering I broke my tailbone and could barely move for several months, it’s not because of over eating). I feel sorry for the girl, but I think everyone needs to stop looking at her like she is "just a poor girl who hasn't had a good education, a rough life..." and so on. She is the same height as me, same age and weighs nearly 3 times what I do. That is ridiculous. Stress, lack of education, and bad parenting are pathetic excuses for a huge problem.

I am not trying to be mean, but I think it is silly for everyone to sit around and talk about how all these things are wrong but no one tries to change any of it. You are in control of your own body. If it mattered so much to her to lose weight she could go shopping with her mom and request other types of food, a not let her mom to buy all that junk food. Healthy food isn't expensive, junk food is just a convenience for lazy people.

She is only 17 !!!! I dont know about you but when I was 17 I hadnt got a clue!

maybe if there were programmes in school to address obesity they could provide Help here, regardless of her mum and dad.

But thats the point I was making earlier she HAS been educated in it, shes spent NINE MONTHS being educated by top professionals. Shes had a hell of a lot more education than shed get at school and its still made not a blind bit of difference. Theres not an education programme in any school in this country which will be a patch on the opportunity she was given. How much more education can she be given....

Despite the vast education and knowledge shes been given, SHES CHOSEN, yes she chose, noone forced her, to go back to eating junk and ignore all the lessons shed learned.

Just been reading an interview with Georgina and my blood is boiling!!

'...told me about the Wellspring academy costing £3600 a month... In Sept 2008 I flew to America, and returned home in June 2009'

So she was there 10 months - total cost £36,000

'Next day I kicked mum out of the kitchen and took control. Chips are banned I told her. Instead I cooked up healthy chicken, salad and pasta dishes'

SO she did bring back a good knowledge but then CHOSE to revert to takeaways :(

'I rang the NHS for help but the FREE nutritionist counselling and gym membership never materialised'

WHY on earth should she or anyone then be automatically entitled to FREE councelling and gym membership when some people have had absolutely NO help from the NHS

'We had no money so I stopped exercising'

What on earth is wrong with going out a walk??

I realise this girl has a lot of issues and does need help but she seems to think shes entitled to so much when so many other people are fighting tooth and nail to get basic help with their weight issues. It just seems to be excuses for whats happened. Until she starts taking responsibility I cant see anything changing

I saw the documentary about her last year or the year before, following her progress at Wellspring and at home after. I remember an argument broke out between her and her Mum over her Mum buying whole milk as opposed to semi-skimmed/skimmed. I thought to myself there's every chance she'll not keep the weight off due to lack of support.

Speaking as someone who started gaining weight at a very young age (4-5 years old) and is now trying to pinpoint why so as I can understand myself better (prompted by being in Overeaters Anonymous for two years and Alcoholics Anonymous for eight months) and thus trying to understand who I am and why I turned to food and alcohol to deal with my emotions instead of opening up and talking to someone about my problems.

In my (and just my!) opinion it basically boils down to not liking myself since I was very young and looking outside of myself for things to make me happy (buying things like lots of dvds etc, food, alcohol etc). I've since learned that true happiness can only come from within.

I've been having counselling for the past three weeks and I was asked if I'd experienced anything traumatic early on and I said my baby brother and granda had died within three years of each other but I was between two and five then and didn't know whether that counted or not. I think sometimes it's just how we react to things in life and my reactions certainly weren't normal at any point.

I wonder if Georgia had counselling after her father died? That's a terrible experience to go through and more so if she felt she couldn't talk to her Mum about it for fear of upsetting her or something.

As well as teaching nutrition I reckon schools should take a leaf out of America's book ('scuse the pun lol) and teach a little personal development etc so kids feel better about themselves.

I used to blame my parents for my weight issues: my dad used to come home from work with enough sweets and crisps for four kids of an evening, all for me. He may've been overcompensating for the loss of my brother, my mum used to say keep some sweets for tomorrow but dad would say leave her alone, she's happy. she'd also encourage me to eat some veg along with my tea but I refused point blank. There's only so much the parents can do.

I hope her and myself find a solution before it's too late.

Thank you for a searching and fearless post! I am so glad that you are on your way to better health in every sense.

I am an addict too, no ifs or buts, and it is a relief to be able to say so. I am not mad, bad, sad or wicked, I just have a serious problem with food and eating that conventional calorie counting cannot resolve.

I have come a very long way, though. I low carb because it mostly stops my binge eating and gives me permission (lol) to eat a wide range of healthy foods in moderate amounts. Serenity.

I see you are in Ireland. I am Scottish and my Dad also brought home bags of sweeties and goodies every week, as did my big brother. The Scots and the Irish have a very powerful sweet tooth! But what we eat and drink as adults is our own responsibility.

I hope that wee girl gets the right kind of help and support or she may come to a tragic end.

If she says she cant afford healthy food... how can she afford a double helping of fish and chips every lunch time? if thats from a fish shop... thats easily £6 - £7 a day just for lunch? That could easily buy healthy food for the whole day, maybe even a couple of days?

But for her to gain 22 stone in a year and a half... surely shes eating more then it says she eats a day?

Shes had a lot more help then most people get, surely she should know what she can and cant eat now...

If she says she cant afford healthy food... how can she afford a double helping of fish and chips every lunch time? if thats from a fish shop... thats easily £6 - £7 a day just for lunch? That could easily buy healthy food for the whole day, maybe even a couple of days?

But for her to gain 22 stone in a year and a half... surely shes eating more then it says she eats a day?

Shes had a lot more help then most people get, surely she should know what she can and cant eat now...

She does, she admitted she knew about cooking healthy food but chose not to :mad:

I thought the money but was a bit odd. I work full time in a job thats not too badly paid and I cant even afford to buy a pack of sandwiches for lunch every day.

One days take away food could buy a weeks worth of fruit and veg

I think people saying she didnt have a clue because of her age is a bit weird.. Shes 17.. shes not a child, shes pretty much an adult.. I moved out from my parents when i was 17.. And i think sometimes you have to take responsibility for yourself.. She has an addiction, but its not even addiction where she can be like "right, no more heroin for me.. no more tobacco for me.. no more alcohol for me" because shes always going to need to eat to keep herself alive.. which is bloody hard.. imagine a heroin addict allowing himself heroin, but stopping himself from being addicted..
I dont think its schools fault, i dont think its her parents fault, i dont think its the NHS's fault.. I think its just a sad thing thats happened.. And shes an addict, and hopefully she manages to overcome this addiction she has.. :(

I've gotten the article in the New! Mag my OH half has gotten me.

I am in SHOCK.

Yes she's been through a lot, and she has a surprising lack of support at home, I agree that she needed the proper support, a referral to a councillor to keep up what she'd learnt at camp & help her with the emotional stuff might have helped a little, and maybe a social worker to come in & give her Mum a little kick in the right direction.

Still she's old enough & received enough education to know what she was doing, two lots of Fish & Chips DOES cost more then buying a healthy lunch, and as was said before, a walk is free, why not join a local Hockey Team for a bit to keep up the activity levels, that per week would cost as much as a day's worth of takeaways, she knows what she should be doing. The NHS hasn't failed by not giving her free gym membership.

I can see both sides, she just needed a bit more support, but you can only help those who want to help themselves.

Time to accept responsibilty!

We all have to deal with situations in our life and we can't blame them for our weight gains...it's how we react to them and ultimately that is our responsibility in the end , noone elses!! I'm not being preachy here as I have had issues with food my whole adult life and spent years blaming everyone from my parents to my kids and my husband, but realised only recently that they were not the ones to blame I was...I was the one putting the food in my mouth!!
Healthy food is a bit more expensive than prepackaged things like cheap sausages and fish fingers but when she says it's expensive then spends money on take aways then her argument goesout of the window. Not being nasty I expect that she and a lot of us, including me, are guilty of just being lazy when it comes to food it's easier to go to the chippy than buy fresh food and cook it!
I have 9 stone to lose so am not silf like my self but have gained that weight over the last 20 years and 6 children, but it was my decision to put the food in my mouth and no one elses and ultimately it's my responsibility to lose it again. I can't expect someone else to pay for me to lose it again. However it does make my blood boil that if someone goes into doctors with an acohol problem or drugs or cigarettes a whole process of support and help kicks in! but go in with a weight problem and you usually get given a diet sheet and told to go sort yourself out or you get given aprescription for diet pills and how do they help the emotional side of it??
Rant over now :D

Last edited:
At 17 it's hard to see the way out from your family.
Also I've had friends like this since childhood, kids with huge intractable mental problems. We can all change though.
I hope she figures it out soon and takes control of her fate.

I think people saying she didnt have a clue because of her age is a bit weird.. Shes 17.. shes not a child, shes pretty much an adult.. I moved out from my parents when i was 17.. And i think sometimes you have to take responsibility for yourself.. She has an addiction, but its not even addiction where she can be like "right, no more heroin for me.. no more tobacco for me.. no more alcohol for me" because shes always going to need to eat to keep herself alive.. which is bloody hard.. imagine a heroin addict allowing himself heroin, but stopping himself from being addicted..
I dont think its schools fault, i dont think its her parents fault, i dont think its the NHS's fault.. I think its just a sad thing thats happened.. And shes an addict, and hopefully she manages to overcome this addiction she has.. :(

Well said.

We overweight people complain that we are judged by the thinner world. That some lose a bit or a lot of weight and then go on to start judging alarms me.

Designer John Galliano, they say, has been whisked off to rehab in Arizona. He is an addict - booze and goodness knows what else. He has now destroyed his life and career in spectacular fashion.

Look at Charlie Sheen. He's a sick man yet he would be the very last to want to admit it. Denial! It might be fair to say that Sheen is in meltdown.

Yes Kitteh this girl is in the throes of a deadly and life-threatening addiction and she can never say okay - today I will abstain from eating... That is not an option. Nobody would say to an alcoholic or drug addict, hey, just have a small whisky today, or a tiny shot of heroin.

Food addiction kills, too. It may take longer but it does frequently lead to death and to a miserable life of ill-health and being mocked in-between.

If she could just go out and buy fruit and veg and healthy food and live on that whilst all around her at home they are scarfing takeaways and fish and chips she would be just fine. To be honest if she could do that she would deserve a medal!

As it is she can't resist temptation and she gives in as most here have done time and again when supposedly on a strict, 'this is it' diet.

this is why things like slimming world are great, its a lifestyle not just a fat camp with extreme training that nobodys really realistically going to keep up with.

this is why things like slimming world are great, its a lifestyle not just a fat camp with extreme training that nobodys really realistically going to keep up with.

Unfortunately its probably much too late for her to do something like SW. However the extreme training she got she could have absolutely realistically kept up with. Its not just a fast fix, not with the training and education she got at it.

Back